Thyroid Q and A or Running Hot and Cold

Updates Please (Read 636 times)

HappyFeat

Let us know the outcome when you get it, Kate.  It is nervewracking - I know!

Well, I finally got tired of being tired, so my dose was increased from 100 to 112 a month ago

and I'll have a re-test in about 2 weeks. No better yet though - extremely fatigued.

My running is hanging on by a thread - doing 4-milers, but not every day. 

Weekly mileage hovering around 20. I'm waaaay behind the Pace Bunny in my group now...

10 miles last I checked...probably a lot more now.

About a week or so ago, I decided to cover all the bases and start taking an iron supplement to see if it would help.

I've been sporadic with it, but still think it might be having a positive effect.

Also dealing with the recent onset of right knee pain..GRRR ...can't be from overdoing it!

So I go back and forth between feeling aggravated over it all (on an energetic day)

and feeling too tired to care.

I just checked and I'm 28 miles behind my Pace Bunny in the 2000 KM group

- very discouraging because I've been keeping up with it since the first of the year.

That's more than I could ever hope to make up.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Driver, Runner, Bestie

Happy:  28 miles is not really all that much.  Especially when you are battling fatigue and injury.  Don't let yourself get down about this.  Being Hypo has many collateral effects -- mentally, it is very hard to get out there because physically, we don't feel we have the energy.  Its not that we are being lazy or treating ourselves to extra sleep, it is real consequence.  And that can be hard to accept that because (at least) I think I should be able to talk myself up to run. 

Happy, I think it takes several weeks for the dosage to have an effect, so you might be on the cusp of a break through.  Sorry to hear about the knee problems.  I had a recent battle with a mysterious knee injury.   I probably should have had it evaluated, but I feel I miss enough work with the Hypo stuff, my kids' activities, appointments, etc., I am willing to muddle through it  if  its just a limp and some pain.   

Good results this afternoon.  I will get a copy of the lab Monday, but my level is .39 and the doc is keeping me steady at 137.  I was worried that he would consider that a little hyper, but I have a two month renewable script.  New doc, first time he has evaluated my labs, so I guess he is keeping me on a 3 month rotation.

Happy, have a good weekend.  And you can make up 28 miles to get back on pace. It might take a couple of months, but  it  is certainly possible.  

HappyFeat

Thank you for your encouragement, Kate - I appreciate it!

I'm happy for you that you got your results so quickly and will be staying at your current dose which is working out so well for you. Hurray!

I have an unrelated question...I changed my log preferences so that group members can see my log, but I don't see a little graph symbol under my name like you and others have. Isn't that what that symbol means?

Can you see my log?

Top 'O the World!

nope. I can't anyway
          Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Driver, Runner, Bestie

Happy:  I can't see your log either. 

Just a question:  I have been so forgetful lately, about the little stuff anyway.  I have great debates with myself during my run  -- which is pre-dawn--- whether I took my hypo meds or not.  I seriously can't seem to remember taking the meds.   Its like I can picture myself opening the container and taking it, but then I convince myself that was someother time.  Then I get confused and who knows if I took it or not?  What is your trick? Or maybe you can remember better than me. 

Kate, that is great news! If you keep forgetting can you get one of those pill boxes that has compartments for every day of the week? I know I have seen them at Target before. Then on Sunday put in a pill for each day and you won't have any more confusion about if you already took that day's or not.

Happy, when you check to only let group members see your log, you don't get a log under your usuername. For us to see your log we have to go to Reports on the left side and then click on your name. I just tried and I can see your log that way. I think it looks great, so don't go too crazy over those 28 miles. Once you are feeling better I know you will be able to make a dent in getting them back.

As for me, still no updates and still no meds. In March my FT3 and FT4 were normal. The endo doesn't even test my TSH so I don't know what that was. But she said she doesn't want to see  me for another year unless something major changes. So I am apparently one of those rare cases that stopped being hypo. I still have to get checked yearly b/c with some tyroid irregularities I have a likelihood of thyroid disease in the future, but for now it's all good. Technically I guess I don't even belong in this group anymore, but I'd still like to stick around!

Kate, great news about your labs! I take out my pill every night and leave it in a old pill container by my bed, that way I'm sure I took my dose that day.

Shaunna - hurray for you! BUT, please don't leave, your insights are valuable and much appreciated!

Amy, 28 miles is not that much to make up - it's still only early August - YOU CAN DO IT!!! Sorry to hear that you're still battling fatigue. Hope your next labs shed some more light on that.

I had lab work drawn last Friday, but not expecting results for about 10 days. I had a month of fatigue and low stamina, but am finally starting to feel better, and trying not to rush getting consistent mileage back up.

Good to hear from all of you!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                Thyroid Support Group

Driver, Runner, Bestie

Shaunna, you must stay.  I have never heard of someone being cured from hypothyroid, you are amazing.  I wish you the best continued health.   I hope that you will soon be back running.  I know how hard it is not to run. 

Cheryl, let us know your results.  You have been through such a long frustrating battle, especially with the fatigue--which is without a doubt completely overwhelming.  Its encouraging to hear you are running again and I still remember your race report from your marathon.  I know you will get back on top of this thing.

And thanks to all for the simple suggestion about pill confusion.  How could I not think of these answers on my own?  I don't have the pill "days" box yet, but I am getting in the habit of leaving one out on my side of the sink just before bed.  It makes perfect sense.  I already have a pile of (smelly) running gear out anyway for a hassle free escape. 

Take care guys, and please keep posting updates!  Kate

HappyFeat

I keep a small year-at-a-glance calendar (copied from the back of my purse calendar)  taped inside the cabinet door

where my pill bottle is and when I take my Synthroid, I draw a line through the day.

Kate, I'm totally there with you on not being able to recall if I took it or not when it's early a.m.!

Shauna, I'm very happy for you that you're no longer hypo - that's amazing!!  I think you definitely should continue participating in our group. It's always great to hear from you.

Thanks to all of you for your support and words of encouragement. It helps me feel a lot better about where I'm at to read your posts.

Well don't look at my log too closely. The distances are correct, but somehow in my ignorance while trying to add a few racing events from the past, I managed to mess up my route list and now there are pages and pages of run entries that now read different race names! I think I know how I can fix it - someday when I have time on my hands, but for now  - it is what it is. Well it's already 7 PM and I better hit the road if I'm going to get my run in. I was so tired yesterday I never even made the effort; today is a better day.

Got my results back, and still low. I did get my ferritin levels up to 60, though!

I did get a dose increase, and will be on  a split dose of 137/125.

My endo has given up on my TSH ever coming back up, so we will be moving more towards treating my symptoms as long as my labs and clinical status remain normal.

Good news!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                      Thyroid Support Group

Driver, Runner, Bestie

Got my results back, and still low. I did get my ferritin levels up to 60, though!

I did get a dose increase, and will be on  a split dose of 137/125.

My endo has given up on my TSH ever coming back up, so we will be moving more towards treating my symptoms as long as my labs and clinical status remain normal.

Good news!

That is the best news Cheryl!   WoooHooo on the ferritin levels.  I still am struggling with getting used to the pill schedule, since the Iron tabs can't be taken within 4 hours of the synthroid.  My last test put me at 13.3

My new doc did call me back, after I had been told that there would be no dosage change--he decided to change it.  I am being reduced from 137 to 125.  My results were at .29 and he wants me to be in around 1.0.  I am very leery of the change.  His opinion is that the .29 is too high and there are potentional side effects like heart rate arrythemia.  I personally think that from my research that .29 is still within a normal range, but at the higher range of normal.   I worry about my energy level and weight gain, but I guess I will have to see what happens.  Another blood review in 6 weeks. 

- Kate - I'm with you, I think your .29 is just fine as long as your other values are still in normal range. If you are feeling good on the 137, I think I would try to get him to let you stay on your 137 for at least another month and recheck labs again at that time. Yeah, that cardiac arrythmia thing...heaving a big sigh here.....the study they are referring to used nursing home patients, many who were bed-ridden and likely had other cardiac problems already - not exactly people in our category. So - a few questions that might help you defend your position to stay at 137 .

1) What is your resting HR? Anyone on thyroid supplements should keep track of this number a couple of times a week - you measure your HR first thing in the morning before you get out of bed. If you know this number, has it increased since you've been on the 137?

2)Do you have a history of atrial arrthmia's? The docs are specifically concerned about you developing  AF (atrial fibrillation). Any arrythmia's? Many people have "skipped beats" but are found to have benign PVC's (premature ventricular contractions) and even if you have these, it does not mean you are more likely to develop AF. The incidence of developing AF with a low TSH ( although I didn't see the numbers they used to define low) are primarily in the 60+ age group. There is also no mention of the general physical fitness of the people used in the study and whether or not they had other problems like hypertension, obesity or diabetes....

3) What does you HR tend to be at your doctor appointments? Do your hands shake? Is he checking your reflexes and are they normal or fast? Does your heart beat extra "hard" when he listens to it?

4) Do you feel hyper at all?

If you don't feel hyper, you haven't noticed any changes in your HR's, then maybe you can make the case to stay on your 137 at least for a trial of another month or so. If he still insists on lowering your dose, see if you can get him to compromise and go to a split dose of maybe 137 x4/ 125 x3 - especially since your TSH is not that much lower if they are using the .4 standard of low-end normal.

If you do end up on split dose, when I do it, I go MWFS - I tried doing it 4 days in a row with one dose and 3 with the other and  I could feel the up and down - but then I'm really sensitive to the doses.

As far as the ferritin goes - I really had good results with the Feradix - it's liquid, and it didn't seem to bother my GI system.

Good luck, Kate, and please keep us posted.

Don't give up!!!!!

here is a link

Atrial Fibrillation and Hyperthyroidism

read between the lines - there is a lot left unsaid....

Go With The Flow
                          Thyroid Support Group

Top 'O the World!

So....few months on Synthroid (low dose) & my #'s look to be in the "normal range" but I'm still having symptoms....Local TV news had a Doc on today who talks about this very issue....made an appt for a "free consultation" @ the end of the month....9 days post marathon!
                            Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Driver, Runner, Bestie

Cindy:  When is the marathon?  How is the lower dosage going?

Top 'O the World!

Ok, marathon was another story....whateva! next one is in 6 1/2 wks...but getting LOTS of time off due to injured foot - not running related injury

Appt w/other Doc - tested for Hashimoto's antigens - well, I got em. Definite reading, but not rediculously high - around 350, normal is under 34, high is considered in the thousands? Claims that it's rarely tested for by most MD's...& while thyroid meds help w/TSH levels, they may not be aiding the underlying cause, so symptoms may persist, even though TSH levels appear to be where they should be....talked about a possible chronic type infection stimulating the antibodies which are attacking the poor little thyroid, which may in fact be okay at this point, just responding to the antibodies, yada, yada, yada....anyway, his proposal is a 6 month program including; cellular detox, nutritional support, ongoing lab monitoring & twice per wk check in w/Doc - all this for a lovely price of $5,600 + whatever nutritional support products he deems that I may need, etc. So, as I'm getting the gist of it is that He's determined that I have an auto-immune disease that he believes that, while there's no cure, he has a method of control/management via "cleaning up my system" & nutritional realignment to keep the disease basically dormant. The other thing is that he only takes in a limited # of clients for this 6 month program at a time & he's almost full just now.....

After freaking out & then settling back down, I called my reg. PCP & he said, basically that he'd assumed Hashimoto's due to the look of my lab work...& was treating by supporting  w/Levothyroxin & monitoring levels due to the variables of Hashimoto's - & while he stated that he know's nothing about this guy or his methods & didn't come right out & say "don't do it", he certainly indicated that there may well be better ways to spend my money...

I think I've mostly decided not to do it at this time...but there's lots to research & ponder on.....