Thyroid Q and A or Running Hot and Cold

Updates Please (Read 636 times)

For another, in the back of my mind I always have the thought: "When things get better, I want to be ready!" Trust me, I know just how pathetic that sounds!

Ha - not pathetic at all - that thought is what drives me when things are tough. Now, If I could just figure out what exactly I'm trying to get ready for...

I'm not sure I can tell any difference with the estradiol or not. I'm also still on the progesterone cream. My hot flashes "cycle" between frequent drenching head to toe sweats, and just feeling very feverish. I sleep fairly well when the cycle is on the milder side. I haven't really had any let up in the last 4 years. My goal with HRT is tolerable symtoms most of the time.

Great news about your run and your new shoes! That's something else we have in common - I have "Brooks" feet  - I've never had another shoe that worked for me. Right now I'm in the Glycerin 8's and just love them!

Good luck with the 12k on the 16th!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
    Thyroid Support Group

HappyFeat

I definitely feel better for the sharing, Cheryl - thanks!

You're a Brook's runner too?!  I latched onto the Brooks Addiction when it first came out about 12 years ago and except for I think the A-6 and the A-8, they've been perfect for me. I tried a Saucony shoe last year that was supposed to be comparable when the A-8 was a bit narrow, but the Saucony didn't work for me.Thankfully, with the new model, the A-9, they've gone back to the wider forefoot.   If they ever discontinue the Addiction ....well we just won't even go there  Once I find a good model and a good price, I tend to buy up half a dozen pairs so I'm set for a while. Think I'll be doing that as soon as I get some breathing room in my budget.

You have all my sympathy with your ongoing menopause symptoms. I wonder if others in your family have had the same experience? I just have one of my sisters to compare to. She stopped in her early 40's and also used progesterone cream and did not have any longlasting physical symptoms. Lack of proper sleep, disrupted sleeping, all that has an enormous effect on our energy levels. I'm glad that's not a big problem for you - it was one of my biggest temporarily.

Well, I'll let you know how the Rhody Run goes next Sunday. Thanks again for your support. ~Amy

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Good luck on Sunday, Amy - I'll be rooting for you!!!!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
        Thyroid Support Group

HappyFeat

Good luck on Sunday, Amy - I'll be rooting for you!!!!

Thanks - I'll need it! Will let you know how it goes.

Driver, Runner, Bestie

Yes Amy let us know please!
            HappyFeat

Reporting in ladies with a surprising time of 1:13 which makes an average of 9:50/mile. I can hardly believe it.  I ran the first two at about 10:30 and then had to walk the two big hills, so the third mile was 11:04. So I made up some time on the rest of it.  I couldn't be happier or more surprised, considering the best I've been doing was 10:20 to 10:30 on my best days lately.

It was a fun event too because there was alot of community support...sooo many people along the route, aid stations every mile, two sets of bongo drum players on the steepest part of the big hill - very helpful, and several people with sprinklers or hose end sprayers set up to shower you if you were hot. I definitely took advantage of that and it was sooo refreshing.

I have often thought if I could run without muscle cramps and catches, I'd be alot faster. After some exchanges yesterday with Nobby on another thread about muscle spasms, twitches, and cramps, I decided to see if getting some extra potassium (ate several bananas), magnesium, and calcium would help, along with decreasing my protein intake. It was a last ditch effort and I also massaged, stretched, and iced throughout the day yesterday. I'm going to keep going on this track and fine tune my diet because I surely saw results today. The deal with protein apparently is if you have too much in your diet, you don't get the use of the calcium you take in - the lack of which can cause spasms and twitches and excessive tightness because your muscles can't relax. I get tons of calcium, but I've been in the habit of taking a protein supplement. making my daily intake at least 100 gm. Well according to my body weight, I only should eat 70-80 gm. He also said that estrogen acts like a dam keeping your calcium in your body for use by your bones and muscles, so being without adequate estrogen is then another cause for not having enough calcium to prevent spasms. Guess I'll now get on a regular schedule with the estradiol!  My doc has actually suggested a patch to me and perhaps I should go that route. 

What great news!!!!! So happy for you, Amy. Sounds like you could be on to something - please keep us updated on how the diet is working out for you

Go With The Flow
                Thyroid Support Group

Driver, Runner, Bestie

Amy:  What a great race!  To set a PR, have it feel so good to boot- running just doesn't get any better.  You must have been flying to make up some of that time!  This is what we all run for.  Glad you are feeling good too!  Enjoy this race, you have earned it.  Kate

Top 'O the World!

Yay Amy!!!

Checking in here myself....So! reiterating that I am a "low end" as in, not all that bad, case...my TSH levels have been dropping lately ....especially after I diligently eliminated all or most Goitrogenic foods from my diet...been more diligent about regular sleep - no matter what the "emergency" & so, Doc took me off all meds for the next two months!  Yippee!!  Fingers & toes crosses that I hold stable! I really really do miss most of the foods on that list though   but, it's worth it if I can stay med free!

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                    HappyFeat

Just wanted to touch base with the group. My 6-month TSH check yesterday came back .33  It was 1.34 last August.  I've been having some hyper-symptoms, not the least of which is I feel like I'm going crazy (really hate that!), but  I actually had not "connected the dots"  I'm actually looking forward to a dose reduction, although I've felt ok at this level before, I don't now.

My running has been going well as it does when my thyroid is up because it eliminates fatigue (which should have tipped me off), but otherwise I'm in quite a state of discombobulation. I can't sleep or rest well. I feel spacey, over-reactive, easily aggravated by my new coworker, but otherwise emotionally disconnected.

My Raynauds has gotten so bad the last few months. I thought that was connected to low thyroid, but I guess not. Now it happens in both hands and is not limited to just a couple fingers; the right is the worst because it gets painful and happens more often.

I've had two really bad bouts of gastritis caused by a virus and put on Nexium which I thought was supposed to reduce the effectiveness of the Synthroid - another reason I thought I might test low.  In between the bouts of gastritis, I discovered Kefir (a yogurt-type drink) to be an almost magical cure. I was drinking 1/4 to 1/2 cup at night and having no heartburn/reflux whatsoever and stopped the Nexium,  My new co-worker is a sickie though and has given me two bugs that went right to my stomach. I'm sick again now, but will start up again with the Kefir when my stomach settles down.

I signed up again for the Rhody Run 12K on May 22. Last year was my first time there and it went soo well. Since then, I had all those months of bursitis of the sit-bones. I'm finally over that, but still find that keeping a slow pace is key to preventing it from coming back. So I'm making slow progress at toward my 10 mpm goal, but I think I'll get there by May. I would love to run the Enumclaw HM again and improve my time. - that was September last year (when my picture over there was taken).

How is everyone else doing?

Driver, Runner, Bestie

Hi Everyone:

I've been MIA lately.  In a total funk.  Things have been on a downhill slide.  I can't decide if I should be frustrated or quit whining.  Because maybe it comes to a time when a person has to accept this is how life is,  part in parcel of getting older?  living with hypo?  time to suck it up?

Anyway, I am completely exhausted all of the time.  Just bushed.  My hands and feet are numb (pins and needles) all of the time.  My tongue tingles, my face tingles.  Also, my joints feel achey and best described as if blood is pooled up in those joints, making hands and legs feel like they weigh hundreds of pounds.  My ears ring from when I wake up until when I fall asleep. I am crabby.  And running seems to be such an effort.  Which bums me out completely because I honestly love running, and I go even lower if I don't get out for my run.  I have a half marathon scheduled for April 29th, but I am way behind on my long runs, so I am worried it will be a death march and then I will be distraught over my time.

Personally, my life is in a really good place.  The kids and husband are healthy, funny and not causing me any fits.  Work is also ok, something I take high satisfaction with.  I've had dinner and movies and drinks with my girlfriends on a regular basis....if I could just get my head wrapped around my fatigue and other symptoms.

I had my blood drawn earlier this week.  A nurse called and informed me the meds need adjustment as my TSH was 2.8.  Which is really not that high--its in the normal range I understand.  Last check 5 months ago was .85 TSH.  It doesnt seem like that big of a difference, so maybe this is the new normal?  Nurse said she was going to discuss with doctor and get back to me with the next plan.

Happy, good to hear from you.  I hope things get adjusted for the better for you too.  Lots of illnesses hanging around all winter and it sounds like you have struggled.  What we need the crisp spring air and some pretty new flowers ASAP!

HappyFeat

Hi Kate,

I can easily see why you would be frustrated by your symptoms. I've had that constant ringing in the ears for at least a year now - haven't figured out the connection to thyroid though. If my TSH was 2.8, I'd feel like crap and want a higher dose. If they offer it, go for it!   It sounds like you have peripheral neuropathy  in your hands  and feet, which can be due to other things besides low thyroid. Has your doc tested you for any other autoimmune disorders. Besides that, the joint issue kinda sounds possibly like hormonal changes to me - perimenopause, perhaps?  I know of some post-menopausal ladies who had joint issues that resolved with estrogen supplementation. Maybe have your doc test your hormone levels. This is all I have time for now, but will give it more thought and write again in a day or so.  ~Amy

HappyFeat

Kate, I sent you a Message, so check your Inbox, OK?

DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

I'm also having a hard time. I had my blood drawn and I'm at 2.4 - which isn't terrible but I'm still very tired and scattered. I have an appointment on Monday but I'm guessing my doc won't want to up my dose - last time I asked she told me she didn't want it to get too low because of bone density, etc but I wish she would understand that at 2.4 I still don't feel good. Which brings me to my next issue - I think I'm having gallbladder issues and my hdl is very low (40) and my triglycerides are high (177). I'm a vegetarian and eat very good and low fat - minimal (if any) fried or greasy foods. I read online that hypothyroidism can cause low hdl and gallbladder issues so I'm worried that by not further treating my thyroid that I might be suffering other issues. 

Does anyone have any insight to any of this? I really have no idea if it's my gallbladder or not but it certainly seems like it and my CNP at work suggested that was likely the issue.

Being the best tiny spec that I can be!

HappyFeat

Your doctor will be able to tell you if you have gallbladder issues, Grace. All I know is that gallbladder pain is on the right side of your abdomen, right below your ribcage. I've heard that it hurts after eating a fatty meal and can be quite extremely painful. My boss just went through that and had hers removed.  I haven't heard of any connection to thyroid issues, but maybe someone else has.