Thyroid Q and A or Running Hot and Cold

Excessive Sweating (Read 21 times)

DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

Anyone else dealing with this? Over the last several years (4'ish?) I have noticed that I am often sweating profusely when no one else is. It's mostly my armpits and my face and scalp. It's really embarrasing Sad I started googling around to see if it's something that I should talk to my doc about and I am finding that it can be caused by thyroid meds. I have my annual thyroid checkup (to renew my script) on Tuesday and I was thinking of asking to be referred to an endo. I'm not sure if my sweating is stricly related to my thyroid or if I just have excessive sweating. It sounds like the head and armpit sweating can be curtailed by botox but I'm curious if I want to be messing with my sweat glands?? I don't want to overheat when I run either??!! 

Any input would be much appreciated!

PS: I'm only 35 so I don't think it's menopause Smile

Being the best tiny spec that I can be!

I have this and you are right, at times it is so embarrassing. In my case, it could be menopause, thyroid or cortisol. I've read that exercise helps decrease hot flashes, well, I get hot flashes while I'm working out. I can tell because I get the same set of arrythmias with hot flashes pretty much every time. The worst is when I am just lifting weights and big drops of sweat  fall off my face, no one at the gym sweats like I do when they are lifting weights....I guess I just got a thick skin about it, and wear clothes that wick and are fast dry as much as possible. At least I don't stink - the excessive sweat doesn't seem to have odor or it's so dilute you can't smell it Joking - gotta look at the bright side, because it can always be worse...

For myself, i would be reluctant to take something that would reduce my ability to sweat. I would really like to know what your doc says and if you find any other info about this, please share! Thanks.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
      Thyroid Support Group

DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

Thanks for the reply! It sounds like we have a similar thing going on. I don't care that I sweat when I work out - even though I sweat way more than most. It's most embarassing when I'm sitting at my desk at work and have pit stains or I'm on a date with someone and my face and head is dripping because it's the slightest bit humid. Like you, I don't smell bad (thank God!!). But it's so awkward to be the only one in the room sweating my ass off!

In all honesty, I always thought that I was sweatier than most because I have a few extra pounds. Well, I lost a few of those extra pounds and I'm still sweaty. I saw my regular doc and my TSH is 3.77 so the sweating is not from the meds making my hyperthyroid. I got a referral to an endo but the appointment isnt until June 7th. I will be sure to post an update after that appointment.

My hot flashes can drench me when I'm just sitting around too, sure hope you find answers and will be waiting to hear back from you.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
          Thyroid Support Group

Elly.

Well, I am 66 and I sweat to excess.  I would think I would have gotten over it a long time ago, but I have never gotten over hot flashes. I hot flashed when I was in my 40's and I am still doing it.  If I'm at a cocktail party and having a drink of wine, I am drenched before half glass is gone.  I get overly hot even cooking dinner.

I had a hysterectomy in my mid-thirties, but the ovaries were kept.  But I have had hot flashes since.  I dropped the hormones after I had a stroke ... they may have caused the stroke.  And I am hypothyroid, taking Synthroid and Cytomel.

I have no idea where the overheating comes from.  I am glad to feel a breeze when I run.  I think some of us are just genetically programmed to sweat.  Both of my sons are massive sweators.

http://www.ellyfosterphotography.com/

DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

I met my endocrinologist on Friday and it was a great appointment. As suspected, I'm not a difficult case per se, but it's nice to feel like I can trust the person who is adjusting my meds! He explained that there are two ways to treat hypothyroidism. Assuming that ones thyroid is still producing horomone, the doc can calculate how much synthetic hormone is needed to fill the gap between what it's producing and what a normal level would be. The second way is to calculate how much hormone a person needs and prescribe that dosage - assuming that the thyroid is not producing much hormone.

My doctor decided to go with plan b. For my weight, age, etc. I need 116mcg. They don't make that dosage so he prescribed 112mcg and said that we can tweak that if we find that I am sensetive enough to notice the difference. He also said that it was ok to stick with taking the generic but explained that taking the same brand of generic is pretty critical. Since I get my script filled at walmart the brand is likely to stay the same so he believes that is just as good as taking a name brand version. If for some reason walmart deviates from their current brand (Mylan), we will have to discuss my options. We also discussed how I was taking my meds and we changed that a bit. I didn't realize how ciritical it is to keep everything the same - brand names, timing, etc. So, I will now take my thyroid asap when I wake and then hold off on all of my various allergy meds until right before I leave for work. That should hopefully allow for better absorbtion of the thyroid. In the past I took it on an empty stomach but I took my allergy meds along with it. So, as long as I don't gain or lose 20lbs or get pregnant, this should be the right dose for me until menopause!

He also said that even though I tested negative (a while back) for hashimoto's, it's likely that is the cause of my issues. My Dad and Grandma both are hypothyroid and the somewhat rapid decrease of hormone being produced by my thyroid points to that.

So, regarding the sweating....we are taking the wait and see approach. He said that is normally indicitive of to much thyroid but everyone is different! Once we get my numbers back in line we will see how the sweating thing is.

So glad that you found a good endo! Here is hoping you feel better soon and please continue to keep us posted on your progress!

Awesome to hear good news!

Go With The Flow
                Thyroid Support Group

I missed this before, but glad your appointment with your endo went well!

I am an excessive sweater too and have been for years. For me I think it's just how my body reacts (even to the littlest thing like starting a conversation with someone or walking out to my car). Living in Florida certainly hasn't helped with that!

I just posted on the main forum, and then did a search for "excessive sweating", and saw this thread within this user group.  I joined the group.

I have 2 boys that both have excessive sweating.  My oldest has more Palmer Hyperhidrosis, while my youngest has more Plantar Hyperhidrosis.  Neither of them have excessive armpit or facial sweating.

They both have a gene mutation and a 'disease' where one of the symptoms is Hyperhidrosis.

Their issue is a thyroid overproduction of some enzyme that leads to this symptom (among others).

I'd love to learn more about what y'all do to manage your excessive sweating.
                    FWIW, the smell isn't the issue.  For them, it's the skin challenges following their sweat.  They get excessive dry hands / feet that leads to cracks, skin loss, and extreme pain.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Elly.

I'd love to learn more about what y'all do to manage your excessive sweating.
                      FWIW, the smell isn't the issue.  For them, it's the skin challenges following their sweat.  They get excessive dry hands / feet that leads to cracks, skin loss, and extreme pain.

I use moisturizing bath soap, like Dove ... not Safeguard ... a moisturizing body lotion, Heel Rescue Foot Cream. No, odor does not seem to be the problem.

I was watching the Tour de France today, and I saw Chris Froome sweating so hard, I thought he might have had a some kind of a water bladder under his helmet!  Just be glad, that if you stop for only a moment, when you get started again your sweat cools you tremendously.

http://www.ellyfosterphotography.com/