Thyroid Q and A or Running Hot and Cold

Spring 2015 (Read 14 times)

HappyFeat

Guess it's time for an "update" thread.

For me - the Fatigue - GAH!! - just want to cry sometimes - with my new dose, I know I'll feel better - some day.

Some Fun News: My hair is coming in CURLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!  After 30 years of perming my straight hair - now I have naturally curly hair. I couldn't be more thrilled.  My recent lab results were still sub-par, but I'm halfway there and my hair is filling in. I am to continue the iron supplements for another 6 months and then get re-checked along with the thyroid.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Yay for curly hair!!! Hope you get some energy back with your new dose.

After a really long hiatus from any kind of exercise, I'm slowly trying to get started again - difficult when just taking a shower and washing my hair takes a toll on my energy levels. Starting over sucks big time - wish I hadn't totally stopped.  I'm going to see my Seattle endo in May and I think I'm going to request a complete thyroid profile including reverse T3 (which I have never had done). I'm still on my 125 mcg of Synthroid. I think I may try taking iron supplements again - thanks for the idea.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
      Thyroid Support Group

DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

Do either of you take vitD? I'm wondering if that would help my energy levels?

Being the best tiny spec that I can be!

HappyFeat

I take 2000 iu - for last few years. Just doubled that as a test to see if my legs feel any more elastic or resilient after 6 months or so. I'll get a repeat Vit D test with my next labs - in 6 months - just to be safe. Not sure if it benefits energy levels. I rely on caffeine!

Driver, Runner, Bestie

Yes, these dang energy levels!  I am holding steady at 125 mcg of Synthroid too, but just feeling so without energy.  I have been able to keep running fortunately.

I saw an endo about a month ago.  She has done nothing, though, just says the blood work looks good.  I brought up the tingling, again, as I have done numerous times with my PA.  I swear she acts like I said nothing.  Just pretty much ignored what I said.  I probably should push it, but I don't. I kind of wuss out because I feel like a complainer.

I think this is the best its going to get for me because the treaters are satisfied with the blood work and I just go with that.

DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

What type of tingling are you dealing with?

My oddball symptom is vertigo. It just started happening this last year and it only happens at night (thankfully) but it's horrible. I've had around 7 episodes of it now.

Being the best tiny spec that I can be!

Driver, Runner, Bestie

Vertigo?  How do you deal with that?  Is that a response to the thyroid meds?

Tingling in my fingers, hands, toes and face checks.  Kind of overall numbness.  Sluggishness.  And tinnitus, which I think many here have mentioned.  All of things so frequently its like standard operating procedure; just used to it.

HappyFeat

I've read of dizziness and vertigo being common with hypothyroidism, but haven't had it myself ---  other than sinus-related disequilibrium.

I've read some people improve with drinking more water, but I don't know really.

I think the tinnitus must be something similar to your "tingling" because they're probably both abnormal nerve sensations.  Mine is worse than ever. It's a wonder any of us are still sane, really.

Also nerve related: Anyone heard of a carpal tunnel syndrome connection with hypothyroid??

From what I read and the little that I understood,  when you're hypothyroid, excess fluid goes to your wrist joints and puts pressure on the nerves. It's a recent development for me and the worst episode was a couple weeks ago when I was on Amoxicillin for a sinus infection. It puffed me up like the Michelin man and I was awake all one night with terrible hand and arm pain. Probably from all the retained water. That's when I read about the thyroid connection. I've not had any more nights like that; but over the past 6 months or so, I've had many mornings when I get up and one hand or the other is "asleep." I thought I just slept wrong, but now I know better.

I continue to stick with my pcp and Synthroid dose adjustments because I feel that's the answer for me. I don't think I have anything complicated going on. I can't justify the expense and stress of going out of town to find an endocrinologist and get elaborate testing.  My insurance has a very high deductible for medical and prescriptions; so I basically pay out of pocket for everything.