Thyroid Q and A or Running Hot and Cold

Lab Work (Read 764 times)

I recieved my levels, they are: Total = 272 TG = 120 HDL = 70 LDL = 178 What does this all mean?
    Disclaimer: this is just my opinion...I am no expert! TG - triglycerides ? You didn't give the normal ranges...but on average, looks like your total cholesterol and your LDL are both in the high range...BUT, you have an awesome HDL level! It's not just your total cholesterol number that is important, it's also ratio of HDL to total cholesterol...yours is 3.88 based on those numbers, which puts you in a good range. Your TG is also in the normal range.... About the LDL, there is some controversy about whether or not all LDL is bad... info on cholesterol subclasses This is another good site re:cholesterol, but it is technical....the slide shows are pretty good. Lipids Online I would ask your doctor about the Cholesterol/HDL ratio. Since you say you have never had high numbers before and you are not enthusiastic about going on cholesterol meds, you might want to consider giving yourself 3 months......try to get your thyroid levels optimized, take a hard look at your diet/weight and make any changes you need to, then check levels again. If you do go on cholesterol meds, try to make the same changes if needed with thyroid, diet /weight, start on the lowest reasonable dose, and check frequently to make sure you are taking the lowest dose you need to. It's not necessarily a rest of your life situation if you do go on the meds, but you will probably need to be proactive about getting the lowest dose you need and working on getting off them as soon as possible. Good luck, and keep us posted with how you are doing.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
    Thyroid Support Group

Member Since 2008

Thanks Chenille
      mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Well, I received my first set of lab work results on Friday. (A little background - I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 15(?) years ago after I gained about 30-40 lbs over about a year. I was having to get physicals every year as part of my work with my son's Scout Troop, and my doctor picked up on it. I hadn't really noticed that it was that much weight - I just attributed it to being busy and stopping running after my first restart attempt. I've taken Synthroid since then, off and on, mainly because I never noticed much difference in me when I took the meds or if I didn't. No increased energy, no weight loss, nothing. ) Forward to last week, and reading this group and the associated resources. i decided to redo my bloodwork and restart taking the meds. My bloodwork results were as follows: T3 Uptake - 32, T3 Total - 117 T4 Free - 1.1, T4 Total - 7.6, T4 Free (Calculated) 2.4 (aka free thyroxine index) TSH 5.40 Total Cholesterol - 204 HDL 40, LDL 118 Triglycerides 230 LDL / HDL Ratio: 2.95 So what does this all mean? Based on these numbers my doc wants me to go from my last dose of 100 mcg up to 125 mcg of Synthroid, which I started on Saturday, and then have bloodwork done in 6 weeks to recheck my levels. Based on what I've read, my T3 Total should be 80 - 230, T4 Free 0.8 - 2.4, T4 Free (Calc) 4.2 - 13.0, T4 Total 5-14, and TSH 0.4 - 4.5. I have no idea what the T3 Uptake values should be. So I'm guessing that because my TSH is high and my T4 free (calc) is low, my doc is upping my Synthroid to get my t4 level up and my tsh level down? He also said he was not concerned about the cholesterol or the triglycerides as they both should come down once the thyroid levels are corrected. Guess I'll have to wait the six weeks and see. At least I now have a baseline (off medication) to compare to when I get my next set of results. Hopefully I'll drop some weight in the meantime (and some energy increase would also be nice - maybe I'm not as lazy as I thought! Smile ). So, can anyone help me with what the T3 Uptake values mean, and what they should be? (Lab = Quest Diagnostics) MTA: Found what I needed on T4 Total.
          Well, I finally got my lab work back. Not the news I was hoping for.. My FT3 levels have dropped 43 points now 277 with a normal range of 230-420. Everytime my FT3 levels have dropped to under 300, I have problems. I feel best when my levels are in the 325-350 range. This was my question about not having a thyroid and changing activitiy levels. Even 'tho I should have enough T4 in my system to handle to the increase, I'm not converting the T4 to T3 as well as I should be....I never have. Doc is not going to make any changes in my meds. I am a little more than 3 weeks out from my marathon. Please send good vibes my way, I have a feeling I'm going to need them. TSH - 0.02 (0.4 - 4.5) FT4 - 1.9 (.8 - 2.7 ) FT3 - 277 ( 230-420) Total T3 138 (60-181)

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
          Thyroid Support Group

HappyFeat

Good luck with your marathon training, Cheryl. I'm very impressed with your training log. You're doing GREAT! I got lost in all the lab data - how are you actually feeling?

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Good luck with your marathon training, Cheryl. I'm very impressed with your training log. You're doing GREAT! I got lost in all the lab data - how are you actually feeling?
              Thanks! It's so much harder than I thought it would be. I literally have to drag myself out there, and the cold weather isn't helping. I called to have my labs done early because I was more tired than I thought I should be, my appetite has been suppressed, my mood has been dipping down, and I have been having trouble with doing long runs that I did much more easily in August. Still, I wasn't sure if all that wasn't due to just bumping up my mileage. The fact that I've had a drop of 14% in my FT3 levels tells me that is not all it is. With my FT3 levels dropping - it's no wonder that I feel my progress has been moving backwards instead of forwards. It makes perfect sense to me that my body requires more T3 given my increase in endurance activity, and if I had a thyroid, it would compensate for that. For me, the worst thing is that my TSH has been non-responsive since my surgery, so it's a useless lab as far as determining my replacement needs. Too bad it's just about every doctor's "Gold Standard".

Go With The Flow
              Thyroid Support Group

Driver, Runner, Bestie

Cheryl: Sorry to hear about the labs and the disappointing doctor. Is it possible to change doctors; too get fresh opinion or are you locked into a provider by your insurance coverage? A running doctor would be ideal. Your ability to train while dealing with this condition is truly inspirational. I am routing for you all the way.
                HappyFeat

Cheryl, So, just what is your doctor waiting for before he recommends a change and why doesn't he acknowledge that your TSH level is not relevant for you?? I agree - your ability to continue training as hard as you do is remarkable. You're an inspiration!

Thanks Amy and Kate - my efforts to find a different doctor were a complete failure. The biggest problem with my endo, is that she is so incredibly busy, it is very difficult to talk to her...I have to write her a letter if I need to discuss something between appointments. As it is, she is only allowing me to continue to monitor my FT3 levels as a courtesy to me. Time after time, when I have been subpar, that is level that comes back low. It's not as if I know that ahead of time Angry I don't find out until the levels come back and verify that there is a hormonal reason for the way I feel. I don't have many options here in Alaska, and I can't afford to fly out to see another endo. I just have to choose my battles. I came home in tears after yet another failed attempt at the 20 miles. I know I have had a big increase in mileage this month, but seriously, I don't think I can be overtrained alternating 30 and 40 mile weeks AND only running every other day. I just want to finish this race, and I want it very badly. My self-confidence is taking a beating, and I am constantly questioning if I am tough enough. Thanks again for your kind words, and for letting me vent my frustrations a little. Just one more week to semi-taper time....

Go With The Flow
                    Thyroid Support Group

HappyFeat

Cheryl, I'm SOOOO sorry to hear you had a bad run today. How did it go exactly? Looking at your log, it seems you completed it. What went wrong? With only 3 weeks to go, you're clearly under a lot of pressure to prepare yourself for finishing the event. You may have to consider revamping your training plan to do it. I admit I have never done a marathon and my longest runs have been 17 miles. However I have done several HMs and have some concept of building distance. You didn't ask for advice and I'm sure you have a wealth of training material to draw upon. That said, I would like to offer up that what I would do is a series of carefully planned, incrementally longer runs and place a huge focus on rest and recovery in between. I've done that to prepare for a HM with little time beforehand. I don't know if a full marathon is a completely different ballgame, but that's what I would do. What do you use for energy and hydration during your run? That's a key issue for me in long runs. I use Hammer gel (caffeinated) and Hammer Heed which is a carb/electrolyte replacement drink. I hope some of this is helpful to you. I think you can do it. You're CERTAINLY tough enough! ~Amy PS I just figured out how to read your log entry notes. So you don't need to reply to my question since your answer is there. ~A

I'm not hydrating enough, and I'm finding the cold is deceptive. I actually think I'm losing more fluid trying to warm the air I'm breathing. I was on track with incremental long runs, was up to feeling good with the 15 - then had a tendonitis/ITB issue that came up during my HM in August. My biggest problem seems to be staying out in the cold longer than 2 hours, and I have no idea if that is normal or not as I've never tried to train in the winter before. My legs feel pretty good today, so I am going to just keep positive and believe that the much warmer temperatures and the support of the friends I am running with will get me to the finish. I haven't tried Hammergel - tried Carboom - but don't like it, don't like Gu. I do like the Accelerade gel, but it's hard to find up here. Training plan, I've been taking week by week. Since I can only run alternate days( to keep the injuries away) I felt my best bet was to work on endurance - most of my runs are 8+. Advice is welcome! Thanks Smile MTA: with only 3 weeks to go, my last "long" run will likely be 12-14, and I'm shooting for close to 30 this next week. It will be a little tough as I only have 3 running days this week. After that, there isn't any more training time that will likely affect my performance for the marathon. I will be focusing on positive thinking instead.

Go With The Flow
                        Thyroid Support Group

HappyFeat

I'm sending lots of positive energy and support your way!

Driver, Runner, Bestie

Cheryl: Your posts in these last few months have been nothing but motivational for me. You will find a way to do this race. I can't wait to read the report. Regarding the cold, do you suffer from Raynaud's syndrome? I have to deal with this and it is painful.
                              Cheryl: Your posts in these last few months have been nothing but motivational for me. You will find a way to do this race. I can't wait to read the report. Regarding the cold, do you suffer from Raynaud's syndrome? I have to deal with this and it is painful.
                              Thanks! re: Raynaud's I don't know - it was suggested to me once by my endo, but the only time I had my fingers actually blanch and turn blue, was when I was very hypo a couple of years ago, and it happened indoors in a cool gym. What kind of symptoms do you have?

Go With The Flow
                              Thyroid Support Group

Driver, Runner, Bestie

My fingers blanche white when exposed to any sudden change in temperature, even a cool breeze. I will get in the shower with warm water and the blanching continues, going from white to red to white again. Each time a finger turns white, the pain is a killer. I never do feel warmed up in the shower (which my husband says is unbearably hot for him) My whole body feels cold the rest of the day, right down to the core. I don't know if this is related, but I also suffer from numb fingers, toes and occassionally, numb places on my face. I will up in the middle of the night frequently and have to shake out the numbness. If you were working out in a cool gym on a hot or warm day, then perhaps that was the trigger. I don't know why Hypo would cause that reaction, though. What problems do you have with the cold? I will try to run through the winter, though, because (1) I hate the treadmill (2) I don't even have a treadmill (3) I take a dog with me for exercise and I don't think he wants to run alongside a treadmill.