Trailer Trash

Snow Covered Sundaily (Read 26 times)

moonlightrunner

Sitting here looking outside, it looks just like it should on a Christmas morning. Winter's bones covered in snow. It would be a perfect time to run....but for the sleeping toddlers in my care. The run will be later.

Qotd: for those who live in the land of snow...what is your go to winter running gear? For my feet I wear a pair of water shoes with thick wool socks, a pair of yak trax extremes when necessary and a heat generating wind jacket made by Brooks.

I hope everyone has a great day!

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

NorthernHarrier

Yup, it's winter here too Moonlight. I have a few cups of coffee to drink then I'll be heading out for a longish(13) road run. Been running in shorts all along including yesterday at 29F and during our snowstorm the night before but I think today it's time for a little more coverage. 10F out now.

QOTD--Nothing considered as go to gear. I just have a lot of different options regarding shirts, fleece, vests', and jackets. Just try to match the temp with something. Today at 10F will be a short sleeve tech T, a lightweight North Face fleece jacket, Hind Munich tights, cheap light gloves, ear band, and my usual road shoes. I tend to run hot and my feet never get cold as long as I am active so the usual socks. I have half a dozen merino wool socks that I only wear in the most brutal cold. Sometimes something extra to protect the plumbing from the extremes.

Occasional Runner

I decided to take a rest day. I've been remodeling my basement into a badass man cave and I spent all day laying floor yesterday. I woke up sore as hell and I have another full day of work to do down there. But thankfully, it's almost finished.

QOTD: I don't do anything very different from the rest of the year, but I do keep my spikes handy depending on trail conditions. I switch from shorts to tights when it drops below 20 degrees.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

wintery here as well, heading out in about 20 minutes for 12-ish, going to run with the two gents that I did the Bob Open with

in other news, my Grizzlies took care of business yesterday with a solid win against our cross state rivals (Bobcats) and are now playoff bound, with mostly likely a first round home game 

qotd: I'll switch to tights at around 20-ish (higher if it's windy), thicker wool socks, microspikes if needed (hell running snowshoe if needed!); I really like my Patagonia Cap 4 hoody as a base layer in cold conditions- breathes well and is warm at the same time, a windhsirt over it if needed, I'll adjust my head and hand gear according temps- my "secret weapon" for bitterly cold and wind is a pair of Ibex (Smartwool makes them too) wind boxers- I can't tell you how much of a difference they make.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

muppy

6.5 miles on a cross country course last night.

QOTD  I just do a little more clothing. I will switch over to tights somewhere in the 20s depending on the wind.  I second a little extra coverage for the man bits! I do usually carry a pair of the disposable medical gloves  on my longer runs in the winter. They come in handy for everything from keeping your fingers warm if needed if my gloves aren't enough, to emergency TP and i even use them for ear muffs under my hat.

AT-runner

Tim

Helped out at JFK50 yesterday and then ran 16 with a friend who was finishing his 2nd JFK at 9:45.  Our good friend, Laurie was third overall female and ran 7:27. She's a beast and turns 50 in 8 days. So happy for her. She had the flu before the race last year and stumbled along to the finish. Nice redemption.

moon - Liked your description of yesterday's run. Sounds beautiful.

NH - Don't want that plumbing to freeze up.

Lace - I installed a lot of flooring in the Spring, and my hammies were killing me from all the bending. Good luck with the room.

warden - You should get a sponsorship from REI with all the gear and reviews you do. I'll vote for you.

Muppy - Were you on the Hershey State XC Course? I love that course and will miss it when the demolish it.

QOTD:  I switch to the winter DryMax socks and tights around 30 degrees.  My biggest area to protect is my hands and I wear gloves in anything colder than 40 degrees.  I often have shorts and a short sleeved shirt on with gloves. Looks funny, but my fingers have poor circulation, early in a run, and get very cold. After a few miles I can take the gloves off.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Daydreamer1

Sitting at work so this is a rest day.  Feeling really, really tired for some reason.  All of you who have wintry weather, please keep it where you are!!!!!

QOTD: Anything under 45 I'll be wearing gloves and either lightweight tights or warm up pants along with wool socks. Under 30 I'll probably switch to wind pants and once it drops into the teens I have waterproof socks, mostly to keep the wind out.  Also have a few pairs of wind blocking underwear.  I'm becoming more cold blooded the last few years.  I really do enjoy running in the cold though, I just dress heavier.

muppy

Muppy - Were you on the Hershey State XC Course? I love that course and will miss it when the demolish it.

It is. It's sad they are destroying it for a road, they have survey stakes all over it now. I'm gonna keep running until they chase me out of there with their bulldozer!

Queen of Nothing

Sue

The goal..anywhere from 18 to 20.  The reality13 and it was hard to do that.  Tired legs, sore ankles, and hard breathing.  Waa waaa.  If I had run with the group I would probably had pushed myself.  As it was I dropped Jack off at the jeep after 8.5 and it was hard going back out.  Oh well.

QOTD:  Does not apply unless you are talking wearing gloves and headband to cover the ears.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

runtraildc

late arrival here-- got in 6.2 flat and fast miles on the paved trail while DH went kiting.

qotd:  We have a relatively mild winter, but the dampness is what usually gets me here.  I also get in a week or so of true winter running in Minnesota over the holidays.  I have a pair of windblock mizuno tights that I really like.  Then found a very similar pair at Target last year that I like even more.  When it's single digits or negative, I am layered up like the michelin (wo)man.  I have some icebreaker and smartwool merino base layers that I cannot live without.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Got in a fabulous 10+ on the Darlington and AT.  I was having a blast and did not want it to end.

Hey Queen - you log says you ran 25+ today.  What gives?!?

QOTD: I normally just layer on top, all year round I wear shorts, and then just add gloves and a hat.  Usually it's the gloves and hat I have to be mindful of - the colder windy stuff gets the heavy stuff pulled out.

Have a great night!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Whoops...must of hit enter twice!

Hey Queen - you log says you ran 25+ today.  What gives?!?

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

AT-runner

Tim

Got in a fabulous 10+ on the Darlington and AT.  I was having a blast and did not want it to end.

QOTD: I normally just layer on top, all year round I wear shorts, and then just add gloves and a hat.  Usually it's the gloves and hat I have to be mindful of - the colder windy stuff gets the heavy stuff pulled out.

The only reason you wear shorts is so  you don't cover up those obnoxious socks!

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

The only reason you wear shorts is so  you don't cover up those obnoxious socks!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

QOTD: I normally just layer on top, all year round I wear shorts, and then just add gloves and a hat.  

Shorts in the zero degree PA winter? 

Oh, maybe over-the-knee socks then, right? 

Run for fun.