Trailer Trash

Park Service has officially acted on running in the Grand Canyon (Read 54 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

runtraildc

I, for one, am in support of this.  Organized groups of 30+ should be managed and limited, just like most other wilderness areas.  400-600 rim runners every weekend was eye opening for me.  Considering most folks are focused on their own efforts; the 'its only me' but compounded hundreds of times each weekend leads to a tremendous collective impact.   I hope NPS is able to implement a stronger outreach effort to educate folks in all aspects of  park usage.  I realize this is not popular, but I see it as definitely needed.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

there will be no groups larger than 30 people, that makes sense

there will be no commercial runs period, that makes sense

"organized" runs will need a permit, that's fine as well, as my runs would be non-organized, my fear is that this is just the first step in implementing a no-run policy that the superintendent said he would like to see- for some reason he is very anti-running

heaven forbid we would get in the way of commercial mule trips who leave no trace whatsoever on the landscape 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

They announced this a few months ago, right?

You people have issues 

Gumby66

But how would they ever enforce a no running policy? Would it be like at the swimming pool? If the ranger yells at you, you slow down till he is out of sight?

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

It only applies to commercial or organized runs, not individual runners, that's how I understand it?

Run for fun.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

^ correct; they are wanting to explore all options in the near future

if it stays that way, it shouldn't be a problem- he's (superintendent) made some comments in the past that tells me he's not overly fond that trail runners have discovered the Grand Canyon

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √