Trailer Trash

Thursday!!! (Read 19 times)

LB2

I ran an easy two this morning up and down the gravel road, with a little out and back to make the 2 miles.

QOTD: How do you handle long stretches of bad weather?

I normally try to watch the radar/weather forecast and try to get my run in when it is not storming. We are dealing with a system that is just sitting on top of us now, and it is dumping rain like crazy. It has been here a few days and will continue through next week. I have been running before daybreak. Basically, rain and thunderstorms are our only real issues unless there is a hurricane. in the rare instance that we have snow or ice, I jump on that and run as much as I can.

LB2

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I had a horrible run this morning.  7+ miles felt like 27.  It was so humid and for whatever reason the air just felt heavy in my lungs.  I stopped and walked at least 3x.  (Interesting note that two days ago it was 65 and dry - I saw no less than a dozen runners out.  This morning it was mid 70's and super humid - I only saw one other runner).  But pushing through this type of run should be useful...I think.

QOTD: For us, it could be many days of heavy rain (we've had that in the last year a couple of times), crazy snow/ice, or this stupid humid stuff we have had this summer.  I generally don't let the weather dictate running - although I also don't do anything stupid by running in the worst of it.  The 2.5 ft of snow that got dumped on us in February was a bit of an issue to work around.  But I adapt.  I also have a gym membership. 

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

AT-runner

Tim

I skipped my run yesterday and ran early this morning. Like Jamie, the humidity made it feel like I was breathing through a straw. I'll chalk it up to altitude training for Utah.

Playing golf later today with DW, her Boss and her Boss' husband in a charity event for Hospice.  Calling for strong thunderstorms, so hope we don't get caught in the rain.

Burke - any local flooding?  I saw the weather in your area and some of the rain totals. Crazy.

Jamie - real dedication. Looks like your OC training is going well.

QOTD:  Lightning is the only thing I stay away from.  If it's several days of rain, I'll make one of my runs a treadmill run, otherwise I try to get out early on hot days and dress accordingly for rain or snow.  On really windy days, I stay away from the deep woods.  We had a group trail run 5 years ago on a windy day and as we were waiting at a turn, for everyone to catch up, a big tree fell over about 100' away from us.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

LB2

Burke - any local flooding?  I saw the weather in your area and some of the rain totals. Crazy.

I am about 45 minutes northeast of Baton Rouge, just south of the Mississippi state line.  The Amite River has a little rise, but not too much so far. I think folks south of I-10 are getting more water than we are. But, Monday afternoon I nearly had to pull over because the rain was so hard. We have had some pretty severe lightning storms, which I consider to be normal afternoon things this time of year. But this is mainly generated from a system in the northern Gulf of Mexico that is just sitting in place. We expect about 8 to 10 inches between today and Monday. We did have one creek bridge wash out over in Chipola last weekend. They did a patch job on it until they can get in there and fix it completely.

LB2

muppy

9.4 miles yesterday on the horseshoe and rail trail.

I second the motion that this humidity sucks, a 77 dewpoint yesterday when I ran is miserable.

QOTD  I can  run in any weather, except for lightning I try to avoid.  Worst case scenario I can always go to the gym and use the treadmill but  not a fan of it.

XtremeTaper

The Lady and I ran 7 last night on the trails of Coventry Woods. Creaky plodding run for me. I made a good decision to leave the watch at home. Dang 5k's take a lot of me these days. Today, this evening will be a similar distance in the sauna perhaps on an easier trail. LOL.

QOTD: I radar/weather watch, but long stretches of bad weather here generally mean deep snow covered trails that you can't run. It doesn't happen too often, maybe a few weeks a year but I recall some winters where it lasted a month or more. For those cases, road running or long trips down south solve the problem.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Daydreamer1

Hoping to get in 5-6 miles today. Summer colds seem to make me feel worse than winter ones. I think that's because the cold winter air opens up your sinuses.

QOTD:  I do the only logical thing there is to do. I bitch, piss, whine and moan about it until it changes .  It always does, eventually .  But, until it decides  to change I try to just cope. If it's a lot of rain, especially thunderstorms then I'll watch the radar and try to go when it won't be too bad. If it's snow and Ice I try to get into a mind set that it's fun. Once I get that straightened out in my head it's easier to go out in it.  Sometimes I can even get my mind to accept the heat  and somewhat enjoy running in that.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

My easy run yesterday didn't feel all that easy   legs were more hammered than I thought from hill repeats. A gal that I used to run with some was hoping to get together for a run this evening, so I brought my running stuff, if she doesn't get ahold of me it will be a SRD, if she does an "easy" 5 miles.

qotd: I make major adjustments in the summer with heat- I run in the dark; winter if it's 0-ish or below- treadmill, deep snow doesn't faze me I just don running snowshoes 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Queen of Nothing

Sue

So was up a bit late and then woke up at 4 am and just laid there..maybe I should  have run.  So going to gym at lunch and maybe run after work but if I do I need to do it at the work trail because we all know when I get home I don't run.

QOTD: I have no idea what a long stretch of bad weather is since I live in California.   but if I did I would hit the treadmill.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

dpc3

4 with pearl the young pup, I have off tomorrow so going to try and get in a longish run.

QOTD: Bad weather what is that? 300+ days of sun make this area one you can't beat. Bad weather = unexpected rest day then back at it the next day.

runtraildc

This was my run yesterday.  4.5 miles of trail and dirt roads, including this stretch on Long Pond in Acadia Nat. Park.  Legs felt something closer to normal - first in a long time.  Now I'm back in DC and thinking about a very humid morning run tomorrow.  Thanks to all the PA folks.

qotd: Lightning and ice get to me, though right now, the humidity has been really tough this summer when I have been able to run.  I have a gym membership.

Sandy-2

Everybody complains about the weather, but nobody does anything about it.

This morning was a pair of 85's, degrees and % humidity.  Sucked big time.  Did 5 mi.

runtraildc; great photos, I can feel the coolness.

qotd: I just try to grunt through it and shift the time of day I run or even days I run.  When all else fails, just take a few extra rest days. I will add, I'll pretty much run in anything except lightening.

tbd.