Trailer Trash

Back to the hills Saturdaily (Read 31 times)

Sandy-2

Back in the land of K-Pop, did a chilly run in the hills this morning.  A friend showed me a new trail that accesses the ridge north of the city, turned out really nice.  Although it is a subway ride or drive from the apartment, I can string together a lot more miles along the ridges (of course I'm already trying to figure when I can get a chance to do it).  I can also string it together with another ridge and figure I can get a 50k without too much running on the roads.  I already told the guy I was running with that I see a Fat Ass 50k run in our future.  I only met the guy when I got here a few months ago so I guess I should tread lightly, don't want to scare him too much... but he's done a 50k before and he seemed interested.

Have a great day everyone.

Here are some photos:

First thing is about a 4 mile up-hill section, this photo was taken at about half way up and we were heading to the top in the background.

This one is at the top, there always seems to be a big rock at the top of these things.

Heading north along the ridge, the trails heads off to the far right.

Another one on the ridge trail a few miles later.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

runtraildc

Morning folks!  It'll be a rest day for me, too much going on- MRI for DS (he's a healthy volunteer for a NIH study), swim meet and skiing.   I'll get the legs worked out in the 5-8" of snow the resort was supposed to get last night.

Sandy-- great photos!  What is the climate there?  I don't ever see snow in your photos, but there's what looks like frost in the last pic.  I'm guessing it's different from TX.

Have a great day, trailers!

Marley seemed to feel better today on our trail run. She was anxious to go and seemed to like the slushy mess better than the ice that has been covering the trails. I still figured that we should take it a little easy so we did only 3 easy miles.

dc: Enjoy the rest day.

Sandy: I enjoyed the pictures.  Thanks for sharing.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

We got 3-4 inches of snow last night, so I might go for a snowshoe hike. Looking much forward to it!

Skiing with the boys later.

Sandy: That looks wonderful! It even looks like a warm day, but I think that's deceiving.

traildc: Have fun skiing!

TT: Maybe Marley was just afraid of the ice. I can remember that that happened to my dog once, after she had fallen and apparently bruised her hip or leg. Glad she's better again.

QOTD: As there is no way to really tell, we might just guess: Do you think this is going to be a long, dragged-out winter? Or will it end soon, and we'll have a nice, long spring?

I think it's going to end early this year, and spring will be nice, warm, and humid.

Have a wonderful day, everyone!

Run for fun.

muppy

4.6 miles last night.

Sandy, that looks awesome, thanks for sharing!

QOTD I thought we were going to have a short winner because we didn't get much snow. Now In good old Hershey PA we got about five wet heavy inches this morning, and they're calling for more snow Sunday night into Monday. I hate to say it but it's starting to look like it might be a long winter.

TT: Maybe Marley was just afraid of the ice. I can remember that that happened to my dog once, after she had fallen and apparently bruised her hip or leg. Glad she's better again.

Yeah I think that may well be the case.  She had slips that looked painful at least twice in the previous week, once slipping when leaping over a log and once  when leaping over a dirt mound.  I was concerned but she didn't let on that she was injured at the time.

QOTD: No prediction here, but...  I love winter weather and hate hot weather.  I always hope for a long cool spring, but we usually seem to go straight from Winter to Summer.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

NorthernHarrier

The weather held other than a little mini-blizzard that lasted about 15 minutes driving up so I was able to get to my snowshoe race. Very warm conditions with a race temp of 37F. That is crazy warm for up here in late Jan. Made for some tough snow conditions. Great workout, great fun. Hardly any new snow since I was here two weeks ago with some melting and compacting of the base it looks to be maybe 15" right now and that is way less than the usual late January depth for here. I want the usual up here which at my place would be over 30" for this date. It can stay tropical down in the banana belt.

QOTD--Well judging just by the snow depth up here and total lack in southern Wi. I would guess early but......It can start piling up up here real fast with the lake effect snows off lake Superior.  Up here it goes from a long winter to a short mud season, and then summer and black flies real quick.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Middle child had a b-day party mid-day (longest two hours of my life).  But I was able to sneak out for a nice snowy trail run.  Trails probably already had 3 inches of snow on them and another 4-5 last night.  It was wet heavy snow though.  It was probably the toughest (effort wise) run I have had in a long time due to the heavy snow.  Down hills were a blast but gentle uphills felt like I was sloggin it.  I think I got in 5.5 miles or so.

Sandy - gorgeous pics.  I'd say you will get in some good running there.

QOTD: I think it will hold on a while but then with a quick break in March (mid to late March).

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Watoni

Got in just under 13 climbing up to Skyline and down. Felt pretty good throughout.

Great pics Sandy!

Hope the skiers and snow shoe folks had fun!

QOTD: I sure hope we get a lot more winter here in Northern California.

LB2

I got in a nice 10 mile loop through the national forest on Saturday morning. I didn't run fast. I sat for fairly long periods and listened to silence. I saw four of the fattest deer I have seen in a long time, and I saw a couple of wood ducks get up out of a flooded slough.

QOTD: I am ready for spring. But it has been bone chilling the past few days down here.

LB2

Sandy-2

Uuugh, very busy yesterday (Sun) doing furniture shopping for the new apartment. Looking for a couch is a struggle it’s either tiny things that are uncomfortable or crazy expensive US$10k Italian things. Anyway, I found something that will work.

Today (Mon) is a SRD for me.

Glad you guys liked the photos from Saturday’s ridge run, it was really nice.  To get back to your questions:

runtraildc: the climate is a lot like NYC, since we are on the water it gets cold, but hardly ever snows. Yup there can be a lot of frost.  It’s like where I grew up on Long Island, a lot different than TX.

FTYC: it was about 28*F when we started and I guess a few degrees colder at the top, especially in the wind.  When we were in the sun and out of the wind it was pretty warm and even some mud, in the shade and in the wind - quite cold with frost. It really felt cold in the wind after sweating in the sunny parts.  I think we all can relate.

boyjame: yeah, the running is great here, I just have to make sure that I run early on nice days since the trails can get crowded with hikers later on (which overall is a good thing that people are using the trails).

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL