Trailer Trash

Thursdailies (Read 32 times)

Marley and I only did a short 2 mile run this morning. My allergies were really kicking in and I was kind of stiff and sore as well.

QOTD: What is the shortest run you usually bother with?  For me the shortest I will do is usually three miles, but once in a great while I will only do two.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Good Morning,

Enjoying a day off work, and getting ready to hit the trails. Lovely weather here, but rain is expected by noon, so I might have to throw in a few fartleks along the way.

I had an painful sunset run last night.

I started out with DS on his bike, and we visited our "tree which had swallowed a guy". It was uphill, and with my right arm, I pushed DS over several humps. This put a lot of strain on my right leg, and after a while, my foot and calf started to tighten up and hurt. It felt as if it would cramp up any moment, but never did. Made it difficult to run on the sharp rocks, especially downhill.

I ran some trails I hadn't been on in many months, and for a while, it was fun cruising over the rocks and hills. Crossed a deep creek, then ran into a group of trail runners who had lost their way and were desperate to make it back to their car before dark. As their car was parked where I was heading, I led them back. Running with them was weird: 1/10 of a mile sprint, then another 1/10 of a mile steady, then some walking, repeat. For me, it was just some intervals thrown in, for them, it was probably a desperate effort to conceal their embarrassment at losing their way. 

After I had safely dropped them off at their car, I went further up the mountain, when suddenly a medium-size moth flew right into my ear and got stuck in there.  Anyone ever had that happen to them? It's horrible. The moth tried to either get further in, or make its way out, flapping its wings and crawling and squirming. Every few seconds, it hit the membrane in my ear, producing a loud, uncomfortable noise, and it tickled and hurt. Drove me crazy.

So while I was trying to keep calm, telling myself it's nothing to worry about, not life-threatening, nor an immediate danger to my health, just uncomfortable, but fixable later, I still freaked out every now and then, screaming and howling as I was stumbling and wobbling further uphill toward the crest. I tried to crush the moth, but it did not work. I did not want to flush my ear yet (with water from my bottle), as the moth was still alive and flapping and squirming, and I was afraid it would just get in further and cause more pain.

When I got up to the top of the mountain, there were four young campers standing around a fire. They had come running when they heard me screaming, then stopped when they saw me wobbling along, every few seconds letting out a scream, twisting and twirking, hitting my head... they were not sure what this elderly lady in short shorts was trying to accomplish? 

I told them what had happened, and that I was ok, and they were visibly relieved. Still, I was quite a bit embarrassed.

Kept on going, turned on my light - and found that the combination of my new (non-sports-) glasses with the headlamp (no second light) does not work well. The glasses were not sitting right, so due to the progressive lenses, I had no depth perception at all, the image kept distorting and blurring, and I constantly tripped over the rocks and almost fell a few times. The strap of the lamp pressed my ears against the temples of the glasses, which hurt (one more painful spot on my body), so I pushed it up, and the lamp slid up, causing it to wobble, which did not really improve my vision.

I was surprised that I managed to get down the hill over the rocks unharmed.

Finally, I succeeded at my attempts to crush the moth, but the crushing was just gross. Gross sound, and then the goey, goopy insides of the moth started dripping out from my ear. 

But at least it was quiet now.

So eventually I decided to skip the last 1-mile loop on the trails and get back to the car (and DH and DS waiting for me in the dark) on the road.

DH and DS were just starting to get worried, as I had been out longer than expeced (thanks to the strained muscle on my leg, the moth in my ear, and the bad vision with the light/glasses combo).

On our way home we saw a skunk, and DS was excited, yay!

QOTD: It usually is 3-4 miles, but when I go out with DD, I can be happy with just 2 miles as well. 2 miles of quality time.

Run for fun.

LB2

I ran 5 yesterday after work, and I will run the same today. My legs are surprisingly sore considering that I logged quite a few mountain miles in the middle of April. Now, I am on relatively flat ground (very flat compared to the Gila NF), and my legs, specifically quads, are beat after these last two easy runs.

FTYC: Sounds like you had a hell of a time out on the mountain. I have never had anything fly into my ear like that. But I have certainly eaten my share of spiders and various bugs.

QOTD: I probably won't get out of bed for less than 5. If I am into a routine approaching a long race, my shortest weekday runs are usually 7 miles.

LB2

runtraildc

Morning!  My left glute/hamstring/piriformis (take your pick) has been acting up this past week, so I'm heading to yoga today to see if that will work it's magic.  And looking back on my log, I've been slacking on strength training so that also might be a factor (usually is).  Maybe I'll get in one of those short runs today, who knows.

Yesterday's run ended up close to 7 and with an animal encounter.  Came around the bend just shy of the car and heard a loud 'hissing' before I almost ran into a Canada goose.  Who, I think, was protecting a nest since it was solo and they are not normally seen here.  Those are birds not to be messed with. Scared me almost as much as Couch's moth story.

Couch- after that story, I am giving up night running and definitely night running on the trails.     Just reading gave me the heebie-geebies.

qotd:  In my head, 3 miles, but in practice, usually 4.  Now, if I'm trying to run a streak, then it goes down to 1 or 2 miles, and that is just a mental game.

AT-runner

Tim

Early morning group toad. I got up early to run 10 on the road.  Felt a little stiff from yesterdays fast pace, but settled in after a bit.  Trying to get my legs used to asphalt as much as I can mentally stand running on the roads. For some reason, I really hate cars going by me.

TT - I'm having a terrible time this year with allergies as well.

Couch - Wowser, what an adventure.  I had a moth fly into my ear a couple of years back while on a night run (think I posted about it here).  I put my light next to my ear and it made its way out. Wish I had told you that tip yesterday.

LB2 - Did you make reservations for Madison yet? Those turkeys look ready for the taking.

DC - found a picture of your run.

QOTD:  3 miles is my post race recovery run distance.  I have a friend who is a "streaker".  She's run every day for over 7 years and to continue the streak she has to only run 1 mile.  I tell her what's the point of running 1 mile just to say you've done it.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I did not get up to run today.  I should have.  Nuff said.

TT - you never do QOTDs but this is a good one.

FTYC - that does sound like a sucky run. Too many weird things rolled into one run.  You'd better get the glasses and headlamp thing figured out here soon.  You don't want that mess during MMT.

QOTD: To me it's not really worth it for anything less than 4.  Although I sometimes convince myself if I do 3 speedy miles, it's "ok".

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

FTYC - I had something like that happen when I was in grad school. Moths were flying around the porch light when I came home one night and one flew in my ear. Even after it was out I had residual sensations that it was still fluttering in there.

Was back on trails yesterday and plan to hit them again today. Since I haven't been doing any really long runs or high mileage weeks in the last couple months, this isn't much of a taper.

QOTD: Usually 3 miles is my minimum, but I have cut it short to 1-2 miles if I'm dealing with an injury that starts to hurt or I realized after I started that I really need a rest day instead.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

XtremeTaper

Back to the trail last night with the Lady. We just ran our standard 7 mile loop at Coventry Woods snaking up to the ridge down the other side and back. One of my favorite runs as of late. Good to be off the pavement again. Nice warm evening and shirtless running season has kicked off up here in PA. Today will likely just be a short 5 miler over at Green Lane as I need to get the lawn mowed as well.

QOTD: Typically 5 miles is my shortest run unless I am tapering or recovering, or get out there and don't feel right for one reason or another.

Couch - Yikes, that sounds like a crazy run but good practice for the unexpected. Hope you find a good solution for the night vision. I always have problems at night too and I think it's because of my glasses. As long as my light is churning out it's full force of lumens I do ok, but once it's starts to fade my depth perception falters too. I found at Superior (my last 100) just changing batteries every 2 hours brightened things up.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Got 4 miles in with my brother yesterday, he lives in SC elevation 0, no hills- he got a good workout in 

FTYC- wowsers!  That didn't sound like fun

Qotd: I usually don't run less than 5, w/ brother visiting I'm going to have to go a wee less

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Lot's of driving (ok riding) today.  Then shopping for food, early to bed and more driving tomorrow.  So no runs fir next two days because when we hit the beach I'll be cracking a cold one.  Wish I had bud Lite since it would take no out of my vocabulary.   Google it if ya haven't heard.

QOTD:  Funny you should ask this question TT.  I used to think if I couldn't get. 6 miles it wasn't worth it.  Then awhile back we posted our monthly total and your's was pretty impressive.  It convinced me that those shorter runs add up.  so now I will run 3 at least.  Plus with the new dog 3 is all he can do right now.

Qotd2: May mileage?  118....happy with that but time to ramp up.  Oh Mandy....

FTYC:  Crazy.... Coukdn't the kids at the fire help get it out?

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Sue, you kicked my ass this month.    My lead is slowly being chipped away at!

Couch, that sounds utterly horrible.  :shudder:

I'm heading out tonight with Prairie Runner for a few trail miles -- he told me to stop being a wuss about my quad.

QOTD1: 3 miles is the bare minimum, but I typically try not to go out for less than 5.

QOTD2: After tonight, probably around 58-59 miles.  Damn foot.

Running is dumb.

Daydreamer1

Oh the signs of spring arriving......Allergies and the dandelions in my yard. I hate 'em both. But as they say, "better living through chemistry". With that In mind I'm headed out to apply some spray to the dandelions. See if I can kill the little buggers off.

Planning about 7-8 miles on the road later this afternoon.

Couch --

they were not sure what this elderly lady in short shorts was trying to accomplish? 

I hate to break it to you but you're now on my bad poop list .  If I remember correctly you're about the same age as me and you're calling yourself ELDERLY.  Really?????  .  We're just hitting early middle age .    You should have told them you were going through a training ritual for your next 100 miler!!

QOTD: Anything less then my 4.5 mile loop and I'll either just go for a walk with DW or put in a half hour on the elliptical. On very rare occasions I'll do a 3 miler but that is very rare.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I think Sue meant April, unless she's wanting a prediction  . My April was 156, which is one of my best months in awhile 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

LB2

LB2 - Did you make reservations for Madison yet? Those turkeys look ready for the taking.

I am all hunted out for this spring. But there is always next year. I will probably go to Texas next year, though.

QOTD 2: The accuracy is questionable because I didn't really do a very good job of keeping track of mileage in April. I would say about 100 miles, give or take. I'll jack it up to 130 to 140 in May and keep on doing that until I hit around 200+ for a few months before my next 100 miler, which probably won't be until March 2016. We'll see.

LB2

DigDug2

Cross-training day for me, 45 min. on the stationary bike and extra stretching.

QOTD 1:  I never plan less than 5, with same caveats as XT

QOTD 2:  160