Trailer Trash

Pinckney Trail Marathon--anyone with info? (Read 25 times)

NorthernHarrier

Looking for an event around that time of the season as more of a long supported training run(and maybe push it a little) and I have looked at that event a few times over the years so.....can anyone recommend it? Calling Scrapster, Moonlight, Gator, anyone??

I like the fact that is on Sunday. Why aren't more events on Sunday anyway?  Never ran there before so that would be nice as opposed to entering Ice Age 2 weeks later or Chippewa Moraine which I have done 3-4 times. Looks like I could also camp there the night before so that's also a plus. A very doable drive of 6 hours and I can pickup my favorite beer going thru Chicago too! (just weighing all the benefits).

Interested in the marathon as opposed to running a 50k.

Thanks in advance.

moonlightrunner

I have run and raced there many times. I head out there for training runs quite frequently.

The Michigan Trail Marathon takes place in the Pinckney State recreation Area. The portion where this race takes place is in the mountain bike trails. It is hilly, but not real big hills....mostly small ones. But, they do add up. It is almost all heavy wooded.

The race is put on by Running Fit. They also put on the Woodstock runs and Dances With Dirt (as well as other trail and road races). They are well organized and make the races fun events.

I don't know how the terrain compares with what you are famiar with where you live. I would guess somewhat less hilly...but it is fun to run out there. The only downside is that some of the slopes have plastic crap on them to prevent erosion from too many bikes. It can be a little treacherous on them in wet conditions.  Generally, the trails are dirt with some large gravel and some rocks.

If you end up signing up..let me know! I plan on running it or volunteering for it.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k