Trailer Trash

Elephant Mountain 50k...more reflection than RR (Read 34 times)

Occasional Runner

It's short because I didn't finish, but it ties in well with the QOTD from this morning.

http://www.slippingslowlyintopain.blogspot.com/2014/02/elephant-mountain-50k-running-on-empty.html

Thanks for checking it out.

Kelly

LB2

That is a great report, Kelly. I think you are right. I love being at the finish line as a participant, volunteer, or as a crew member. You really get to see some great things happen. I don't know what I would do if I couldn't participate in every aspect of the sport.

LB2

LB2

Also, I haven't been a participant in a long race in a long time. I saw many wonderful things on the trail Saturday that I didn't even mention in my report: a lady sitting on a stump crying who somehow continued on; a really hot chick with a hurt knee, who was just really hot. But I really saw a lot of people who overcame adversity. I think that is one of the things I like about this sport the most.

LB2

Occasional Runner

That is a great report, Kelly. I think you are right. I love being at the finish line as a participant, volunteer, or as a crew member. You really get to see some great things happen. I don't know what I would do if I couldn't participate in every aspect of the sport.

When I get too old to run, I'm going to become a permanent volunteer.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

When I get too old to run, I'm going to become a permanent volunteer.

Is there such a condition as too old to run? Thanks for some thoughtful comments on the DNS/DNF decision. I whole heartedly agree with your comments on volunteering and watching the finishers. I spent a few hours at the aid station handing out drinks at my last ultra after I finished my 12-hours, and with the aid station close to the finish I could watch that too. I don't know how someone could have the energy to jump for joy after running 100 miles, but many finishers did.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

"When running is such a big part of your life, it's mentally devastating when your health or an injury prevent you from doing it, or from doing it well. It's like having a part of you ripped away without knowing if you'll ever get it back. And if you do, you never know if it will be the same again."

This resonated with me most.  While running is no where near the percent of time for me as it is for you, I understand this a lot.

Thanks for sharing your persepctive.  Good decision.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

SheCan

That was a really nice RR.  I hope you're feeling better now.  This is one of the races I'd considered doing this year, so I especially enjoyed your descriptions of the trail.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Occasional Runner

That was a really nice RR.  I hope you're feeling better now.  This is one of the races I'd considered doing this year, so I especially enjoyed your descriptions of the trail.

Thanks. I feel pretty terrific now. Sometimes, forced rest is all the rest I'm willing to take.

I hope you run this race someday. It really is a great course. And of course, Aravaipa puts on fantastic races.