Trailer Trash

Found a new race Wednesday (Read 31 times)

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Ok I know that does not rhyme or even sound good but...

I found a race I want to do.  Black Forest 100k. It's brand new - no definitive date yet.  Looks like they are trying to get it approved for Oct. 6.  So really it's a decision between that and OC100. 

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1heAYSE9ejKz5sFZIzHQ28fDHkBGibcVE&ll=41.49430343828548%2C-77.53869088867191&z=12

So no running for me today.  Did not sleep well last night, needed to stay in bed.  Will call it a rest day and get out tomorrow.

QOTD: What would get you excited about a new race/event? location, the trail, the trail organizers, other?

The trail and course on this event is what is drawing me in.  It's a lollipop course in a very remote section.  It's likely not a place I would run by myself.  For those PA folks, it's run on the Black Forest trail which is part of the Eastern States 100 - of part of it is anyways.  It will be super technical and lots of climbs.  And the time of year is good unlike the humidity of ES100 in August.

So my decision is do I put off my first 100 until next year and try and tackle this? Right now, I am thinking yes!

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

XtremeTaper

No run for me yet, but I will get out late afternoon into this evening for 5-6 miles. Ran 5 yesterday evening on the local trail. Sort of an easy trail with some rolling inclines that is good for running. I need some turnover practice instead of slogging so hopefully this helps. Boring though as I have to repeat sections but hey at least it's not the road.

QOTD: Many of the things you mention, but timing is also key to me. Plus sometimes I'd be leery about a new event having it's act together.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

runtraildc

5 easy miles this morning. Found a very nice dog who was all ready to follow me home. Until it's owner showed up.  hate when that happens. Otherwise, got a nice bit on the trails. Not too muddy or slippery.

Jamie-- do it.

qotd: Location is pretty important. And the course. Not a big fan of out and back.

LB2

I ran 3 miles this morning in some Hoka's. Calf pain was not much of an issue for the first 2 miles, but it flared up again about a 3/4 mile from finishing. However, it wasn't as severe as yesterday. I'll keep stretching it and continue with shorter, slower runs. It felt slow this morning, but it probably should have been slower. It was cold and dry, so I normally run a little faster in those conditions than I normally do. I am cautiously optimistic.

QOTD: I think the things you mentioned are certainly factors. One thing I have noticed about motivation is that there has to be something that intrinsically motivates me to run a long event. For example, finishing Pinhoti was important to me for many reasons. The main reason was my fascination with that area of Alabama when I was a child, long before there was a Pinhoti 100. That motivation was not strong enough on my first attempt, and I either severely underestimated the difficulty of the course, or I was grossly delusional about my ability as a runner. I suspect there was a lot of both going on when I got to the start line. The sting of that DNF was strong motivation to return and complete the race in 2014, which was the sweetest redemption I have ever had. In 2017, the motivation was gone; Nevertheless, I continued on until I timed out. And I was okay with that.

Bouncing off what Xtreme mentioned about first time events, I have some experience with those, too. The Cottonmouth 100 in 2015 was a first time event. They had some legitimate issues on that first event, some were beyond their control. People moved some course markers, not the race events fault. The course was long, and it was made even longer by the fact that some course markers were moved. However, that area, for me, had great historical value. So, I wanted to be there. I was very, very proud to have finished the inaugural run; most people did not. I think only 30% of the runners finished that first year, 9 out of 30. I was 7th. The only reason I finished was that I got irrationally angry. And I ran a heck of a lot faster than I thought I was capable of in the second half of the race after being lost as a goose for quite some time.

Thus, if you are motivated to run that course, I would go ahead and do it. But I would bear in mind what Xtreme mentioned and plan accordingly with drop bags, crew, or whatever your race plans may entail.

LB2

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Ran 5.5 this morning.  Was so worth it.  Beautiful sunrise and then yellow lights reflecting on the trees.  Namaste world!  Oh yea we were cresting a hill and met up with a skunk on the other side.  Earl wanted to chase but I held tight.

Had dentist appointment today and said to myself "I am going to ask for a orange toothbrush"  Hygienist did ask me what color I wanted but she opened the drawer and her hand hovered over a blue one, than she pushed it aside and picked up the orange toothbrush.     When I told her I wanted the orange she mentioned; did you notice how I hovered over the blue? 

QOTD:  Location..and if friends are doing it also.  My little group is looking forward to Smith Rock, not only for the beautiful run but getting a place close to Bend and the breweries.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Yes...

So my decision is do I put off my first 100 until next year and try and tackle this? Right now, I am thinking yes!

Have a great day!

XtremeTaper

QOTD:  Location..and if friends are doing it also.  My little group is looking forward to Smith Rock, not only for the beautiful run but getting a place close to Bend and the breweries.

Queenie -  The last run on our Bend Trip in 2016 was at Smith's Rock. So much different than our other runs there... more desert terrain, but it was gorgeous. Have fun!

Queen of Nothing

Sue

How about some drinking advice?

Queenie -  The last run on our Bend Trip in 2016 was at Smith's Rock. So much different than our other runs there... more desert terrain, but it was gorgeous. Have fun!

XtremeTaper

How about some drinking advice?

Just park in downtown Bend and walk around. There are several places right there Deschutes (the biggest), Bend Brewery and others. We hit a different place every night, and some nights just regular restaurants and all had fantastic beer choices.

Gator eye

6 miles with Mr J

i would be interested in that race too. It would be about a 8 hour drive and the time of year is perfect for me.

I ve done first year races before and although there was a few glitches nothing happened to screw up the experience.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Regarding first year races - completely understandable.  For this particular race, the RD puts on other races (he is the new RD for ES100), Worlds End 50k/100k, Montour 24 (which some of us are running), and there may be another one.  He is experienced and knows the area very well.  Any concerns would be more with some of the logistical stuff for that race but the RD and others know their stuff.

I ran Stone Mill 50 miler in it's second year and there were definite glitches. The RDs were trying to tweak too many things after the inaugural run.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

GC100k

I ran Stone Mill 50 miler in it's second year and there were definite glitches. The RDs were trying to tweak too many things after the inaugural run.

What's that course like? Runnable? Rocky? All straight up and down?

Daydreamer1

No run today. Had a meeting after work, then when I got home I was dead on my feet and took a long winters nap. I think I might get enough energy to lift some and do an elliptical session.

I seen they were starting to advertise the Black Forest 100k. I won't do it but I'll look into it more.  Don't think there will be too many problems with this even though it's the first year.  The RD has been involved with ES100 for several years as a co-director so the knowledge of the area and experience are there. I work that day so volunteering is out of the question.

QOTD: location, the trail, the trail organizers, other?   All those. The main things for the other would be time of year and if I'm off work.

This reminds me. I have to look up the date for the race down in VA that George did last fall.

AT-runner

Tim

What's that course like? Runnable? Rocky? All straight up and down?

Rolling non-technical tails. More dirt trail than roots, and hardly any rocks.  Seems flat, but the number of small hills adds up by the end. Several long flat sections including some miles on C&O towpath.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

AT-runner

Tim

Didn't have time for a run today. Might do a few on TM tonight, or just wait and go longer tomorrow. Probably "B".

QOTD:  Location, location, location.  Don't race too much anymore, so I want to see something new and beautiful. Anything near the kids is a plus.

I've had good results with first year events, but I'm easy going, so don't get too worked up if things go mildly wrong.  At Trailfest last year (a first year event), there were some glitches, and some people were going ape-shit. I had plenty of good beer, DW had her Titio's  (and Sue had her wine) so I was fine.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway!