Trailer Trash

Labor Day Weekender (Read 21 times)

AT-runner

Tim

After yesterday's run, DW and I walked a lot on the beach of Assateague Island and around Chincoteague.  Had to stock up for the tropical storm that is blowing through now.  Winds blowing 25-35 mph with gusts to 52 right now.  Not as much rain as this morning, but blowing sideways, so did a treadmill run.  The treadmill at the condo is not very good, so I stopped after 4.5 miles and hit the bike.  If things clear up, we'll walk later.

DW's picture last night before the storm started. No filter or color correction used.

Good luck to any racers and pacers.

Have a great weekend.

QOTD:  Ever ride out a really bad storm?  Wort one we had was Hurricane Belle in 1976. We were in Ocean City, Maryland, and this was the days before forced evacuations. We rode it out, but it was something. Power was out for a while and water was blowing in through windows and doors.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Planning a little joggy jog with the mutts sometime soon..long run with group tomorrow.

Qotd:  We didn't really ride out a storm but waited in Georgia for Hurricane Andy to move through Florida.  We drove to the keys right after.  The destruction was horrible.

Enjoy the storm AT.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Daydreamer1

Miserable night at work. Went into my part time job and all we did was transport psychiatric patients all night long.  Good for Jamie and his co-workers, bad for me cause I came home dead tired. Even after a nap I'm still tired. This might call for a Monster Rehab.

If I can wake up I'm planning on 6-7 miles on the road.

QOTD: Nothing really bad from a rain view point. In '72 we were living in Maryland. When Agnes came through we were actually up here in PA in the area that I now live in visiting relatives. I guess we left just as it was starting to rain pretty hard.  I remember going through the Harrisburg area and there were a few places were the water was just gushing off of the overpasses. My dad was afraid that we might have problems getting through the water but we made it. Apparently the rest of the trip was uneventful because I don't remember anything more about it.

Then there was the time that a tropical storm dumped a bunch of rain on the Harrisburg area and cut a swath northwest. Driving home through that was difficult because of dodging the washed out roads took me an extra hour and a half to get home.  Turned out that the storm path had narrowed to about 10-11 miles wide and in that path it dumped up to 11-12 inches in 4-6 hours. After I made it home It didn't impact us at all as there wasn't much wind just a steady downpour. I live high up and if I flood out it's time to build a ark, so I slept right through it while a lot of people around us had to evacuate.

Sandy-2

Ok, so my planned b2b 20's turned into b2b 16's. The 16 today was much better than yesterday's, but it was still a suck fest.  I barfed at mile 10 today, which was earlier than yesterday's mile 11, but overall it was better.  Feels like a lot of my "body energy" is going toward trying to keep cool, and my legs are just shot early.

Qotd:  rode out hurricanes Katrina (turned to NOLA at the last minute), Rita and Ike. Ike went right over us, the calm in the eye was cool, but we were without power for 10 days.

AT, cool photo, what's that about "red sky at night sailer's delight..."

tbd.

muppy

13.3 miles total for yesterday.

Hope everybody has a happy and safe weekend!

QOTD  The worst for me was tropical storm Lee I believe it was called.  I was on my way home, and the police closed off the road right in front of me while I was waiting at the red light. A 10 minute trip ended up taking me five  hours because all the roads were flooded so bad from getting 10 inches of rain in a day.

some call me Tim

You guys do one thread for the weekend now I take it? I still haven't run since I ripped my knee open, but that's because I'm saving it up. Tomorrow I hope to run 20+... really gotta get that run in.

AT- that's gorgeous, and looks very peaceful. It's funny, the only time I was ever at Chincoteague I was a kid and we camped in a pop-up right near the water and the mosquitoes were just in clouds. Never saw anything like it before or since. We were chased into the trailer where we spent an hour plugging holes and swatting the rest that got in behind us before we shut the door. I guess they wouldn't be a problem in that kind of wind!

qotd: The only bad storms I've seen have been snow and ice here in Western NY. One was 10 feet of snow in maybe a day and a half. Not so bad unless you get caught in it. I've had some hairy situations where I had to guess where the road was, led by the blinkers of cars already off in ditches and destined to be there for hours. So long as you're home you just drink, shovel and plan future generations.

runtraildc

Got in just under 5 yesterday and will get in a couple later today.  We're on the good side of this storm- cool weather, wind. Could use some of that rain, though.

qotd: I'm going with one of the recent winter storms here.  4 years ago we got 20 plus inches of snow, after icing. Lost power for almost 4 days in very cold weather. Lots of downed trees and the city shut down for a week.

muppy

7.2 miles yesterday on the road .

I I think I caught a cold,  not good timing since I was going to do a 20 miler on Tuesday.

AT-runner

Tim

DW and I got over 16 on the massive hills of Chincoteague Island.   Probably close to 50' total elevation change. Was pretty windy with the tail end of Hermine licking the coast. Mid run, I had an easy sub 8 mile and then two miles later had to dig deep to break 10:20. Wind running is kinda like hills, right.

Then sat on the beach and read 120 pages of a book. Nice day.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Daydreamer1

Ran the mountain road today. DW rode along with her bike to keep me moving although she largely failed at that. Did 15.3 miles and towards the end the legs just wouldn't turn over anymore. I was a minute per mile slower than the last time I did the same run back in July and the temp was 15-20 degrees higher. I guess that's what happens when I take a cut back month like I did in August.

NHLA

Ran Apple Festival 8k. Nice weather. Big crowd. Over 250000 people come to town for this. Apples look great this year.

qotd  seen more storms than I can remember. I remember Betsy because I was so young and our house flooded. Camile killed so many but we went fishing during the eye. Caught a lot of fish. Fredrick was the strongest storm at our home it stayed together for over 100 miles inland.

some call me Tim

20 today on repeats of a 3+ mile road loop in a local park. My HS XC coach used to have us run this - it's hilly and there's one climb known locally as 'Mother' cause it's like 12% grade (but short)... used to kill me, but not so much anymore. It was good to get some vert in, and 'power hiking' up that climb in later loops. The heat was making me woozy though. Last loop I could've sworn I saw a woman in a giant dress and with a spill of bright pink hair having her picture taken in the middle of a field.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

10.5 Sat morning and then <16 this morning on the rocky AT.  Both mornings perfect weather! Then I spent the afternoon painting in-laws bedroom.  I was more than happy to do it for free since they watch the kids a lot but I was not allowed to say no to the 100 dollar bill my FIL slipped me.  Guess I can buy a new pair of running shoes, right? 

QOTD: I have ridden out storms but none that I can remember names for so I guess they weren't really bad.  Plenty of big snowstorms growing up in MA.

Have a great labor day tomorrow!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

8.4 yesterday on trails with a couple big hills, 5.2 today on a paved path over rolling hills.

QOTD: Back in 1972 Hurricane Agnes chased me all the way home from Great Smokies NP to CT, then Sandy chased me home from
                              DC to Philly. Each time I managed to keep a step ahead of road and bridge closures.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Daydreamer1

Went for a nice easy bike ride to switch things up for the legs and give them a rest.  Put in 25.6 miles.