Trailer Trash

Rescue Mission Tuesday (Read 15 times)

Daydreamer1

Ok, the rescue mission was actually last evening.  I wanted to go for a night run because of the full moon. First I got a lecture from the youngest brat about the dangers of running at night in low teen temps on icy roads . Think he just didn't want to admit that the old man was tougher then he . Then I looked outside and it was clouded over with a nice stiff breeze. 90% of the reason to run at night is because of the moon on the snow. So I decided to stay in and just lift and do an elliptical session.  Did 30 minute on that and was just starting to lift when my phone rang. It was DW and she was stranded for the past 30 minutes along the road with a broke down car .  I didn't have the phone where I could see it while on the elliptical as I normally do. So she was 35 minutes away and freezing.  Fortunately she was able to get a ride back to the hospital from a friend and waited for me or she would have been frigid  (frigid wives are not a good thing).   Picked he up and looked at the car. Oil dripping from front of engine on a BMW = expensive .

Gotta work full blast on my Ion now to get that back on the road ASAP.

Going to try for a short run tonight as the weather is supposed to be clear.  4-6 miles hopefully if the wind isn't too bad.

QOTD: What emergency supplies do you keep in your vehicle?

I always try to maintain the spare tire. Have some fuses.  We always carry boots, gloves and extra coats along this time of the year.  I don't bother with flares but probably should. For any trip that is more the 100 miles from the house I carry some basic hand tools. Should also carry a shovel in the winter. Never carry anything to warm up the interior of the vehicle. I've head of people carrying candles, but they were up in those  places like MN and WI  where even God stays away from in the winter time .

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Short run at the gym this morning.  That is all.  Now back to my normal schedule of insanity - work, kids bball practice, school work, sleep, run repeat.

DD - you and your car issues!!!!

QOTD: AAA card

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Sandy-2

I'll run after work today. Technically I am tapering for my marathon, but I am really still in recovery mode. This is so confusing.  Plus I promised my DD that I'd do a 20 miler with her next weekend with her, that should fix me up just fine.....   As I said before this marathon is being set up as a PW attempt. 

qotd: similar to Jamie, I have roadside assistance from my insurance company.

But on a related note, my DS and DD both have Hyundai's that do not have spares, only have this gunk you put in the tire and then fill them with a little pump you plug into the old cigarette lighter hole. After my DD had a major puncture that was never going to be patched with the gunk, which she literally had right in front of a tire shop, we have vowed that we'd outfit them both with full-sized spares soon. Thanks for the reminder, need to get on that.

tbd.

Gator eye

DD you should of went for it. I had a nice 6 in the moonlight this morning. I stayed as much as I could in the woods to be out of the wind

QOtD: a cell phone and a buddy with a wrecker

Queen of Nothing

Sue

So blew most my New Years resolutions yesterday.   but I am a start again kind of person.  Did not wake up this morning to run but did walk the dogs and have stuff to run at lunch and than bootcamp after work.

QOTD:  Toilet paper and battery cables.

AT:  Tell that beautiful wife of yours that I was pretty impressed with her numbers from last year!!  WOW

Gatsby:  I am doing SOB again.  Also signing up for Smith Rock in Oregon.  On wait list for Mendocino 50K.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

runtraildc

Hi folks. Not running today, haven't in a week almost, but today's qotd is timely. I'll run tomorrow as I'm almost over this cold and we are finally home.

DD- as a Minnesotan, I have never heard of anyone keeping candles for warmth, but maybe.... Glad the wife is ok. good luck on the car.

qotd: Normal, everyday supplies- a good spare, tools, jumper cables. On long trips, that and extra winter clothes, boots, car blanket, enough gas in the tank. We had roadside assistance with our insurance company, but after using it, we got a drop letter. Now AAA. However, we ended up in a ditch yesterday in Indiana and the toll police sent a regular tow truck. We barely had cell service and there are areas that we go that I could not count on it 100%.

Daydreamer1

First I want to thank all of you who have AAA. It keeps them in business so they are around to tow my vehicles at least once every year of so.  We've definitely  got our moneys worth from them.

Jamie -  That's what I get from keeping an older fleet. More breakdowns.  Oh yea, IOt's also partly DW's fault . She was just saying today that every vehicle she has ever been the main driver of has left her sit at least once.  That dates back to the late 70s and includes the three she had before I was hitched up with her. I think it comes from her skidding around the corners .

Sandy - Really hate those  fix-a-flat things.  Currently have full sized ones in all but one of the vehicles.

Gator - I'm glad I didn't go out because then DW would have had to wait another 30 minutes for me.

Queen - TP is probably the most important thing to have.

Runtrail - Hope everyone was OK and hope the car was OK as well. Nothing sucks quite as much as being stranded away from home.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

5.4 miles today. Two days in a row is a bog deal anymore.

qotd: I keep my AAA card with me and take a snow shovel if we're expecting more than a couple inches. I also keep a thermal blanket in the car.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.