Trailer Trash

Snowshoe running......... (Read 39 times)

runfastandie

Hi All in wintry places!

I'd love to discuss.......does anyone snowshoe run? If so- is there a go to brand? Must I try them or is it something I can order online?

With a fresh cover of snow in Yosemite I'm quickly realizing this will be vacation running reality.

Are there times you use those track spikes on your shoes instead of snowshoes? How do you know when to use what?

Andie..... the cold weather challenged Californian!

PS- I'm also interested in cross country sky info- JUST in case anyone cross trains in to such a sport.

jmctav23

2/3rds training

nothing to add other than "me too."  We got a dusting of snow already today so I need to find out some more about this stuff too.

Running snowshoes - I use Dions now but started with Northern Lites. Use when enough snow that you need flotation.

Somewhat Packed or shallow snow - Kahtoola microspikes (expensive, but can find deals sometimes)

Ice - something like Anti-slid traction aid (we can get something like this in grocery stores for $10-$20 - by cashier or in seasonal - great for icy parking lots)

Screw shoes work on ice and packed snow.

Screw shoes are convenient if you don't swap shoes a lot, and one pair would work for most of winter. For those of us who swap shoes, who may do errands in stores on the way home without changing shoes, etc, I prefer slip-on devices.

This is a review of what I've used in the past, including some disadvantages of things like the original yak-trax. This is just to give you an idea of other products. At the time, I had not used screw shoes or the Kahtoola microspikes.

Ice and snow that's almost ice needs something pointy - lots of pounds / square inch.

As the snow gets softer, you want something more paddle like (microspikes)

When it gets deeper, you need flotation.

I like the Kahtoola microspikes since they're really easy to put on and form kind of a basket around my shoe - doesn't come off and doesn't squeeze my toes, which is critical to keep from getting frostbite. If I don't need them, I can dangle them from waistbelt or stick in pack. They aren't as heavy as they look. The distinctive red of these are seen on many runners up here.

The Stabilicers (see my review) come in variable types, and some are hard to put on and squish toes. While I liked these while using them, I fell in love with the Kahtoolas after trying them.

If you're on packed trails, you may find you don't need snowshoes. I may break trail with snowshoes, then run without them - IF the trail gets packed enough.

I don't use yak trax (original or pro) - too dangerous if icy, uncomfortable, and come off easily without you knowing (says something about their traction). I see they have newer versions that are starting to address these issues, but haven't seen them in stores.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
        Gator eye

I got a used set of snow shoe I'm going to try this winter. There is a snow shoe trail race sometime in Feb. I want to try running. I have never used snow shoes and I don't even know if it's possible to run in the shoes I got but I'm going to try. If nothing else it'll be a nice 15 mile hike.

I use back country snowshoes rather than running snow shoes.  I only use them in fairly deep unpacked snow.  I typically break them out when the snow is 8" or more deep and stop using them when it is packed a bit.  For less deep snow and slush I usually just wear my regular running shoes with no traction aids.  If it is icy I am likely to either wear Stabilicers or screw shoes.

I tried YaxTrax and found that on snow they were not needed and on ice they were worse than just my bare shoes.  In general I consider them pretty worthless in the conditions that I have tried them in.  We get a lot of thawing and refreezing here and on the resulting lumpy ice YaxTrax seem to slide around worse than just my shoes.

Katahoola Microspikes sound very interesting and I plan to try them this winter.

Oh and I do wear gaiters when the snow is deep at all.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

NorthernHarrier

I got a used set of snow shoe I'm going to try this winter. There is a snow shoe trail race sometime in Feb. I want to try running. I have never used snow shoes and I don't even know if it's possible to run in the shoes I got but I'm going to try. If nothing else it'll be a nice 15 mile hike.

Holy crap, never been on snowshoes but gonna do a 15 miler race. Yikes. Have fun with that. Shocked  That is a really long 1st attempt. Really long.

Andie--I have 7-8 pairs laying around and I had my first pair roughly 40 years ago. I've also done a little running with them and have done I think 6 races. Personally I think running with snowshoes kinda sucks. I would rather just hike and bushwack around and then just do a normal run. You will find that just hiking with them especially if you are breaking trail is plenty good for a little cross train workout.  I have seen a number of people spend a lot of money on race specific snowshoes only to realize it really is not what they thought it would be.  So I am an advocate of snowshoeing, just not snowshoe running.

Cross-country skiing is something I also am somewhat into as my cabin is in the big snow country near the lake effect snow off Lake Superior. I have skate skis, bushwack/backcountry skis, and classic skis. At the right trail systems it is a blast and bushwack skiing on snow covered logging roads, fire lanes, etc, is a great, fun workout and a way to get back in the wilds in a beautiful time of year.

Otherwise I just winter run like normal, on the trails if somewhat packed and not too deep or on the roads. As Aktrail mentioned using anything from screwshoes to Kahtoola microspikes. And unlike her I don't have any problem with Yaks. They are what they are and can bridge the conditions from microspikes to not needing anything.

Last thought on snowshoes-- If buying just for general hiking I always say go one size larger than the manufacturer suggest--you seldom get the ideal snow so a little more flotation is good. If just for trail running than the assumption is the trails will be packed and then go with something narrow and small. You don't have to spend more just to get something that is run/race specific.

Last thought on snowshoes-- If buying just for general hiking I always say go one size larger than the manufacturer suggest--you seldom get the ideal snow so a little more flotation is good. If just for trail running than the assumption is the trails will be packed and then go with something narrow and small. You don't have to spend more just to get something that is run/race specific.

Good Point.  It may be because I am a pretty slow runner, but ...  I choose a big back country snowshoe rather than a running one.  I am usually breaking trail when using them and with the typical running snow shoe I would be post holing.  Someone new to this needs to figure out how they will be using their snow shoes and in what conditions.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

for snow less than ~ 6" I forego snowshoes and wear either studded shoes or microspikes (not much ice-studded, more ice-microspikes)

I bought a pair of Atlas running snowshoes last season and got a ton of use out of them.  I had been running a lot in the snow, but was surprised how much more exertion there was running in snowshoes.  My first trip out w/ them was a 7 mile loop I had run many times w/ some snow, at about 3.5 miles I had to bail.  The next run, the 3.5 miles I had run was packed down somewhat and not too bad, the next 3.5 miles was really tough.  After having run the entire loop, the snow was packed enough that the exertion level, while still much higher than running w/o, was much more doable.  Obviously snow conditions and depth  will play a large role, this was pretty deep, powder snow to begin w/ so I was sinking pretty good

I studded my shoes last night as we got about 8" of the white stuff the other day Smile

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

runfastandie

Thank you! This is amazing stuff!   After reading and getting a greater understanding I think the kahtoo things are probably what I'm looking for. I really  don't see myself blazing any new trails in the backcountry.  With the elevation change I might be going in and out of snow.  This is just for the cabin climate so I won't be screwing my shoes anytime soon. Perhaps I can keep some life left in my Salomons and screw those.

Thanks everyone!!!

What about these- Stablicers

http://www.shoeicecleats.com/

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

the stabilicers are more made for boots- I had a pair for ice fishing, I don't think any thing currently on the market touches the microspikes for running

if you have an old pair of shoes (that's what I use), the sheet metal screws are cheap and working pretty well

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Thank you! This is amazing stuff!   After reading and getting a greater understanding I think the kahtoo things are probably what I'm looking for. I really  don't see myself blazing any new trails in the backcountry.  With the elevation change I might be going in and out of snow.  This is just for the cabin climate so I won't be screwing my shoes anytime soon. Perhaps I can keep some life left in my Salomons and screw those.

Thanks everyone!!!

What about these- Stablicers

http://www.shoeicecleats.com/

Among many types shown there, those stabilicers are more for boots. The Stabilicer Sports and Lites that I linked to are more for running. The Sports have a pointy toe which doesn't work well with rounded toes that some of us with wide forefeet like. Their studs are just a tiny bit better than screws. The Lites are better. But the Kahtoola microspikes work a *lot* better and don't squish toes, which is important in cold weather. The microspikes also bite down further in the snow. I haven't used anything except microspikes for shallow snow since I got them.

Stabilicer studs are also found on some Neos Overshoes. Their various models have their place in winterwear, but I wouldn't want to run in any of them. They're popular with winter mtn bikers (or were - not sure if better models) may be used for in-camp / emergency shoes for runners on multi-day ultras in winter.

BTW, if you screw your shoes, be sure not to use a screw that's too long. I think I use the 3/8". May not work with minimalist shoes. Wink

And, yea, regarding snowshoes, they're fun in about 2-3 inches of snow on top base. Hard work in deeper snow, and painful on packed snow. And if you get titanium cleats, they may break on icy snow. (not mine, but somebody else's)  I've never seen anyone start a winter ultra up here in snowshoes. The 50k people generally don't take them with them. The 100mi and longer (350mi, 1000mi) will use them in fresh snow. If you're on a packed trail, you probably don't need snowshoes. Many of our groomed ski trails are multi-use and under the right conditions, snowshoes can mess up those trails more than postholing on them. It's just something you learn over time to see what sort of impact - good or bad - you're having on a trail.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                        runfastandie

Awesome!  Thanks. I will go for the katoolas.  So exciting!    Happy Birthday to me :-)