Trailer Trash

Marquette 50K (Read 28 times)

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Signed up for the 50 miler but down graded to the 50K for 2 reasons; I wasn't trained and the 50 miler does the large lop twice so since I had already seen it why go again.

My brother and sister went with me along with a great niece and the sister's boyfriend.  The BF had a pop up tent so we made reservations at Tourist Park to camp.  Got to town, set up camp, packet pick up, dinner and some beers.  My brother asked me if I ate something special before hand, "No, just drink less".  So 3 beers later off to bed I go.

Woke up at 4 am and saw a few other folks in the campground moving around so I asked some folks if I could get a ride to the race.  First guy had no run and the second group said sure.  This allowed my bro to go back to sleep.  We had planned on meeting at Sugarloaf Mt around 9 am.

This here is scapster who I ran into in the am.  We hung a bit before the race but she made it clear I was on my own.    She was also a 50 miler turn 50Ker

Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, people standing, outdoor and nature

Little cooler than I am use to so I had my favorite long sleeve.  The race started and they had us do a tiny 1 mile loop.  This was to get folks to start spreading out before entering a single track.  After the first mile I tossed the top.  The next loop was 11 miles.  We headed into the woods and ran over a rough trail with loss granite rocks.  I had the headlight I just bought and it did fine.  I probably could have gone without as everyone's lights were lighting up the trail.  So about 4 miles of this was this rough granite loss bolder type trail and we were pretty much just doing a slow Cong dance.

Somewhere around mile 7 the sky was becoming light.  The trail was running along a river and although the sky was light.  The trail at this point was nice dirt but also lots of roots requiring the headlamp still.

The River and some morning lightstarting to show.

Image may contain: tree, sky, cloud, outdoor, nature and water

This is coming out from the river bottom and into the light.  My headlamp was off by now.

Image may contain: plant, grass, sky, tree, outdoor and nature

I'm around mile 11 right now and the next 5 take you around granite slabs and through the woods.  This is a technical race and we were going up and down hills which would have been easy to run if not for the roots and rocks.  When others walked a hill, Sue walked a hill.

Image may contain: sky, tree, mountain, plant, cloud, outdoor and nature

I was at mile 13 ish and texted my brother, "8:10 AM and at mile 13"  he replied, "Everyone is still sleeping"  Running is my thing so I had told them the night before if they didn't want to come no big deal, it's their vacation too.  So here comes Sugarloaf and no family there. 

View from Sugarloaf which is a highpoint that you get to through a series of steps.  I made sure I used the railings just to give my legs a break.

Image may contain: sky, tree, plant, ocean, outdoor, nature and water

Leaving the loaf..

Image may contain: tree, plant, outdoor and nature

Susy loves moss!!!

After Sugarloaf we ran around 5 miles mostly along Lake Superior.  This was very flat but still technically so it didn't really give you a break.  I was starting to feel a bit low when who should I see in the middle of the woods but my bro, sis, and niece.  Having a crew really does perk you up.  I was stock and had a great run all the way to the finish.

Image may contain: plant, tree, outdoor, nature and water

Image may contain: plant, tree, bridge, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: ocean, outdoor, nature and water

They also came to Harlow Lake to meet me.  When I left my brother who I only see every other year or so yelled "I love you" 

Image may contain: 3 people, people smiling, people standing, tree, outdoor and nature

Nice trails...

Image may contain: plant, tree, outdoor and nature

Yes I felt like jumping in..

This place had a lot of granite!!

Image may contain: one or more people, people standing, sky, shoes, tree, plant, outdoor and nature

A little mud...I guess nothing compared to last year.

Image may contain: plant, tree, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: plant, tree, grass, outdoor and nature

This is on Top of the World.

Image may contain: plant, sky, tree, grass, outdoor and nature

Seriously there is no all out running here.  I would walk and then run but every time I started running again I felt awkward; like a little kid just learning to walk.  There's no getting a rhythm or doing the shuffle here.  I did fall once but landed softly.

The goal for me was to get back up Hogsback.  A Mt I climbed many times in college.  So here I am back on top.  I thought it was far off Big Bay road but really was fairly close.

Image may contain: people standing, mountain, sky, outdoor and nature

I have this picture of me from college days so I had to reenact it.

Image may contain: 1 person, mountain, sky, nature and outdoor

I still felt great and thought I was somewhere near the 28 mile mark.  My watch died at 27 some miles.  So I keep running and passing quite a few people. 157 folks ran and I was almost smack dab in the middle number 75 with a time of 8:05 just 3 hrs and 50 minutes behind first place.    It was a good run.  I was met at the finish by my family.  I ran through the finish line with my niece.    They had cold beer in the truck and we hiked up Sugarloaf again and then sat on the shore of beautiful lake Michigan.

Thinking of signing up for Biz Johnson 50 K in October. 

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Nice job Sue!  Those roots look crazy- I always think of rock when I think technical, those roots looks worse than rocks 

Glad your family was able to give you several morale boosts along the route.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

NorthernHarrier

They had cold beer in the truck and we hiked up Sugarloaf again and then sat on the shore of beautiful lake Michigan.

Great job but I see you had enough beer to forget which of the great lakes you were on!     I looked in the archives and saw I did it in a little over 8 hours too but it was a sufferfest that day. Tough course but beautiful.  There is a half marathon there that I have also run in the fall that covers some of the same route if you want to relive the bliss. 

Nice to have had family there and it sounds like a great vacation.  Well done!

Adding--great photos too.

Nice pics and awesome that your family was there to crew.  Love the trail by the lake and how green everything is.  But yeah, that greenery is going to put out a lot of roots for sure.  Only one fall?  Well done!

Thanks for the RR!

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I heard Superior in my head but typed Michigan.  Could be because I spent the rest of the trip on lake Michigan or I coyld be going Whackadoodle

Great job but I see you had enough beer to forget which of the great lakes you were on!     I looked in the archives and saw I did it in a little over 8 hours too but it was a sufferfest that day. Tough course but beautiful.  There is a half marathon there that I have also run in the fall that covers some of the same route if you want to relive the bliss. 

Nice to have had family there and it sounds like a great vacation.  Well done!

Adding--great photos too.

AT-runner

Tim

After the first mile I tossed the top. 

What, no picture of that?

Fun day on the trails. Kudos to family for making a few stops to see you. That's always a boost, especially when you aren't counting on seeing them.

Nice to see Katie Z.

A few pictures look like they could have been taken on the AT near me. Rocks, roots and boulders. Only difference is we don't get that much moss, or have Lake Superior (and apparently Lake Michigan )

On FB I was going to comment about sitting down during a race, but recreating a picture seems like a good idea.  You should post the old picture side-by-side with the new.

How was rest of the trip back home?

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

LB2

That is why I kept scrolling down, total teaser!!!!

Great run, Sue. Congratulations.

LB2

Gator eye

Little harder push at the end and I think you would been right up there with the winner

wish I could have made it and let you buy me a beer but I guess this has been my summer of injuries. Maybe next time

Good job

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Looks like I just have to cut 7 minutes off my mile from the beginning to be right up front!   that might take training! 

Little harder push at the end and I think you would been right up there with the winner

XtremeTaper

I like your style Queenie... just drink less the night before. Perfect. Seems like you have this 50k stuff down so sure why not sign up for another. Had you run these trails before? Reminds me of my time up on the north shore at Superior but maybe not as hilly. Remember meeting Scrapster up there.  Sort of a homecoming race for you, eh? Good work with the race and thanks for all the photos.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Sandy-2

Nice to be able to throw a run in during the visit back to see your family.  Also nice that they met you along the way. I also like the carboloading and rehydrating choices!!

Thanks for the RR and great photos.  Congrats!!!

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

Queen of Nothing

Sue

It's the one in the short sleeve shirt . 

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I went to college here so yes I hiked them.  I was surprised to see how close to the road they actually were.  My recollection was that they were long hikes.  Could have been all the beer stops. 

Had you run these trails before? Reminds me of my time up on the north shore at Superior but maybe not as hilly. Remember meeting Scrapster up there.  Sort of a homecoming race for you, eh? Good work with the race and thanks for all the photos.

Daydreamer1

Thanks for the RR, especially the pictures. Makes me want to do one of those races out there although I'd pick the 1/2 marathon version.

NHLA

Way to go!  Those are some tough looking roots.