Trailer Trash

Sundaily (Read 25 times)

moonlightrunner

Well, I am up with nothing to do...so I'll get the day started here.

I went for a very nice run last night. It was late evening and delightfully cool. It was soooo silent on the woods. I was the only one on the trails. There were a lot of blow downs still from a storm last week, but they did not present too much difficulty as the underbrush in the woods has died back a lot already.  Last night the low was going to be 39! Winter approaches!  The fading light is sad. I need to pack my handheld for those times I end up in the near dark.

Qotd:  Are there any purchases you need to make to prepare for winter running? I need to get some thick wool socks (like for ice fishing) to wear in the water shoes I wear for snow. They keep my toes toasty even in wet, slushy snow. I thought about using the Ultra Superiors for winter, but I just plain don't like them.

Oh...planning 9-12 tonight. Happy trails everyone!

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

Brian Runner

Safety Awareness run this afternoon in honor of a local runner struck and killed by a drunk driver last month.

Occasional Runner

I ran 6 road miles on my way to the gym this morning, then had a nice workout. I need to find a way to get more strength training mixed into my schedule. I'm grabbing my puppy now for some trail time on my usual trail network. Maybe 8 or so because I'm working toward reduced mileage leading up to the Bear.

QOTD: I have more winter running shit than I could ever use. I may need some new sunglasses soon, but that's about it.

Occasional Runner

It's fall at 8,000 feet.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Kelly: beautiful! Will run 6-10 after work. Temps were 36 this morning, and I realized it's time to bring the plants into the house. No where I will put them is another story, as our house is so small that it's a challenge to fit just the peopele in, let alone a cat and plants... QOTD: not really. I got booties for snowshoeing on sale last spring, and the thin drizzle-resistant jacket as swag from my last race, so I don't really need anything. An insulating hose cover for my pack maybe.

Run for fun.

Daydreamer1

At work, running from call to call. It's been busy, hopefully I'll get a break to get some paperwork finished up.  I'm sure my boss would tell me to get off of social media and get working on the paperwork if he knew I was posting .

QOTD: I might get some microspikes. Depends on how much actual trail running I end up doing this winter.

moonlightrunner

DD: +1 on the micro spikes. They make for a really stable run a d far fewer groin strains from slipping on ice and snow.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

AT-runner

Tim

8 miles on a very rocky section of the AT in MD.  Felt like I was bouncing boulder to boulder.  Was jumped on by a very aggressive dog and almost punched the owner in the nose.  Dog was snarling and tied to bite.  It was a young doberman.  Sorry to the dog folks, but I HATE UNLEASHED DOGS ON THE TRAIL!!!    A busy Sunday on the AT is NOT a time to train your fucking unleashed doberman how to hike.

QOTD:  Maybe a taser for shitty dog owners.  Otherwise sunglasses.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

runtraildc

Just finished 5 miles around the monuments on the smithsonian mall.  Does it count as trails if I kept to the dirt & grass?  It was a perfect running day.  Now I'm waiting for DS to finish a practice run on his XC loop.

qotd:  skis, to replace the ones that got torched.  Oh, you meant running?  Pretty good on running gear currently.  I  just have to find it & unpack.

Occasional Runner

I HATE UNLEASHED DOGS ON THE TRAIL!!! 

No...you hate unleashed dogs that aren't properly socialized, trained and handled by their owners.

I'm far more cautious around dogs that are leashed because it shows me that the owner doesn't trust that animal. All of my bad dog encounters have been with leashed dogs. To me, it has nothing to do with the leash. It's a matter of responsible dog ownership. That can be defined dozens of ways depending on the dog and the owner.

8 miles on a very rocky section of the AT in MD.  Felt like I was bouncing boulder to boulder.  Was jumped on by a very aggressive dog and almost punched the owner in the nose.  Dog was snarling and tied to bite.  It was a young doberman.  Sorry to the dog folks, but I HATE UNLEASHED DOGS ON THE TRAIL!!!    A busy Sunday on the AT is NOT a time to train your fucking unleashed doberman how to hike.

QOTD:  Maybe a taser for shitty dog owners.  Otherwise sunglasses.

I have my pooch off leash most of the time, but she is well trained and socialized.  Also we go out when the trails are less crowded.  That said, I understand where you are coming from.  It appalls me sometimes what idiots some dog owners can be.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

Watoni

No...you hate unleashed dogs that aren't properly socialized, trained and handled by their owners.

I'm far more cautious around dogs that are leashed because it shows me that the owner doesn't trust that animal. All of my bad dog encounters have been with leashed dogs. To me, it has nothing to do with the leash. It's a matter of responsible dog ownership. That can be defined dozens of ways depending on the dog and the owner.

True, but it is hard to know who the idiots are. I kept our Bouvier leashed for her protection, and we always lived somewhere with leash laws in effect. She was a tough but sweet and very well socialized dog. in NYC, guys would let their unleashed pit bulls run at her and try to start a fight in Central Park. I picked up a big rock more than once and was ready to bash in the skull in of the dog if necessary, and then the owner after that on general principle. -- I would have felt badly about hurting the dog. I also think about the dogs who have attacked or chased when I have been on a bike. The one constant is incompetent or malicious owners, leash or not.

BTW, just about 10 easy on local trails, a few short steep climbs

AT-runner

Tim

Actually should have said I hate owners of unleashed dogs on trails that require dogs to be leashed.  I love dogs.

This is from the Appalachian Trail Conservancy.  I was running in MD yesterday, where lashes are required.

LEASHES ARE REQUIRED ON MORE THAN 40 PERCENT OF THE AT, INCLUDING:

• Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area, Pennsylvania and New Jersey
                            • Maryland (entire state)
                            • Harpers Ferry National Historical Park, West Virginia
                            • Shenandoah National Park, Virginia
                            • Blue Ridge Parkway, Virginia
                            • 500+ miles of A.T. land administered by the National Park Service

We recommend dogs be leashed at all times, as a matter of courtesy to other hikers and to minimize stress to wildlife, regardless of whether it’s required by law. 

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway!