Trailer Trash

No sunshine Wednesday (Read 27 times)

runtraildc

Like most of the east coast, socked in with clouds, humidity and rain.  We have a break in the rain, but lots more to come.  Ended up with just 3 miles on the treadmill last night, but I made them into intervals so I did have to work somewhat.  Today is 5 miles on the muddy trails.   We need this rain so I am not complaining.

qotd:  I got nothing.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Morning dc.  Yes, more rain on the way and possibly a lot of wind from Joaquin.  I am really hoping it turns out to sea and not right up the coast! Anyways, got in 4 speedy (for me) miles last night at the gym followed by some stair time and a light workout.

QOTD: I got nothing too.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

XtremeTaper

Nothing yet today. The rain has stopped (for now) and it looks like a damp, humid, muddy run will be the plan for the Lady and I this evening. Though it's been so dry, the woods/trail may have sucked up the rain.

QOTD: With a tropical storm heading up the east coast, give us any hurricane or tropical storm experiences if you have them, or bad storms in general.

Me, I was in Charlotte on business when Hugo was coming. My boss at the time, and a few others were with me and as the storm was rolling in we ditched town, drove to Atlanta, and got a flight back to Dallas. I remember watching the trees starting to bend outside our hotel in Charlotte before we left and there was this warm not unpleasant wind and smell to the air. I'm glad we got out.. others we knew were stranded for days.

Here where I leave in PA, we've had some cat1 storms blow through but by the time they reached us they've usually been downgraded and are not much worse then a nor'easter.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

NHLA

8 miles on Echo Mt. Sunshine this morning but more rain comming.

OBMedic where are you starting your runs? Which forest service rds are you running?

We do have some flat places to run in NC mts. Run near a river or lake.

Estatoe trail  near Davidson river three miles of flat with trails on both sides add north slope trail four miles of hill. The bike trail across the road is flat for another three miles. Just park at Loews in Brevard.

Lake Summit in Saluda NC. 10 mile loop around lake. Sandy dirt road. Three hills the rest flat.

Both these routes are very popular.

Green River Cove RD  8 miles one way flat beside green river. You have to drive to the bottom of the gourge. 3 miles strait down. This rd. will scare you. You can go tubeing after run.

Daydreamer1

Spending 24 hours at work. Feeling tired and run down and didn't sleep well last night for some reason.

QOTD: No good Hurricane or Tropical storm stories. I did have a little trouble one night getting home from work.  The remnants of a tropical storm was blowing through our area and dumped about 11 inches of rain in about 5 hours. All in a band that was about 8 miles wide. Had to turn around once or twice and find another route.  Once I got home it didn't bother me. I live on a hill so if I flood out  it's time for a ark.

LB2

Super easy 7 this morning to round out September with 200 miles.

QOTD: Wow. I've probably totally forgotten more hurricanes than most people ever have to deal with. I guess Katrina was probably the worst. We left our house and went to my parent's about 15 miles south of us; we are quite a ways up from New Orleans, almost to the Mississippi state line. So, going 15 miles south was not a big deal. I had a ton of gigantic oak trees around the house, and I didn't want the kids in there with the coming storm. Prior to leaving, I headed down back roads to get to my ex-wife's house to pick up my oldest daughter. That was a bit of a fight, but I told her I was coming to get her, regardless of whose "weekend" it was. My daughter and I met my wife and my other two girls at my parents to ride the storm out. My brother in law and sister came up from New Orleans; they ended up with major damage to their home. Anyway, the storm was not nearly as bad here as it was in NOLA. But it was bad. We ended up cutting our way back to my house with chainsaws, and we met people coming from my town (Greensburg, La.) about halfway between my parents' and my town. I lost a shed and needed a new roof, but other than that, we came out okay. But it was like a post-apocalyptic scene around here; all sorts of people were in town; gas lines were crazy at the stations. Fights broke out; it was just crazy.

Three years later, I became the mayor, and we were faced with Hurricane Rita. We all learned a lot from Katrina. Rita hit our area a little worse, but we were able to work together to get roads cleared way before "help" from the state or feds showed up. We sent them onto other places to help them.

LB2

AT-runner

Tim

No time for a lunch run, so will try to get out later for a few miles on the road.

QOTD:  2 that I can easily remember. Hurricane Agnes (1972) and Hurricane Belle (1976).  Agnes hit the DC area pretty hard but mostly with rain and flooding.  We were in Ocean City Maryland when Belle hit. In those days most people rode out the storms and we stayed in our 3rd floor condo watching the ocean. I remember the waves looked like they were breaking away from the beach which was pretty cool to a teenager. My parents were pretty nervous but us kids though it was fun. The storm never made landfall in MD but went right along the coast until it hit Long Island. My brother and I hit the waves early the next day with our inflatable surf rafts (pre boogie board days). We had a blast.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

No run so far, and it looks this might turn into a lazy day in terms of running today in an attempt to let the bronchitis heal up. Right now I am much slower than usual with the limitations in breathing.

QOTD: I remember a typhoon in Japan. I was going to a meeting in Mito, a few miles from the research center where I worked, and as usual in Japan, I had taken the train. Now a typhoon in Japan, at least at the time, was not a very big deal, just something that people deal with while carrying on with their daily busy lives. It was still raining hard, with very strong wind. Nobody was even trying to use an umbrella, as it would have been pointless, and the umbrella would not even have survived opening. Water was running down the stairs of the pedestrian overpass at the train station, in more than ankle-high waterfalls.

The Japanese ladies in their cute business costumes and heels just walked through it as if nothing was unusual about it. The men, just like everybody else, were drenched within seconds, all In their suits, carrying briefcases that were spilling water by the cup. Nobody lost their composure about it.

When I arrived at the meeting, all wet and somewhat dissolving, everybody was at least just as wet, with huge puddles around their chairs. Documents all wet and falling apart. Nobody mentioned a thing.

It was very chilly in that air conditioned room (after all, despite the rain, it was still summerly warm outside). By noon, the dripping had stopped, and we were only "wet".

Needless to say, on my way back to work, I got soaked again (like probably everybody else, too). But I learned that "rain" in Japan does not stop daily life there. People adjust by wearing quick-drying business suits that dry up without wrinkling, and women use waterproof make-up and wear wind-resistant hairstyles. Some of the secret tricks of the trade in business in Japan.

Run for fun.

OBMedic

Rest day for me, I'll probably hit up the bouldering cave and lift some. Still working on getting my mountain bike back together after I tacoed the rear wheel.

NHLA- I actually live in Pisgah so I've been running the dirt roads around here. Because I live so close to good trails it's hard for me to justify driving anywhere to get to a trail. I can step out my door and be at the Art Loeb within 10 minutes of running. Once I get bored of the same trails I'm sure I'll venture out more though. I'm actually planning on running Mt. Mitchell in the next week or two depending on the weather.

QOTD- My National Guard unit was activated for Hurricane Sandy. Well by the time it got to us it had calmed down to just a heavy rain with a strong wind. After 2 days of sitting around in the armory waiting for something to happen I was getting ansty and I decided to go on a run. After being told I was crazy by no less than 20 people who were convinced I was going to die, I bundled up and headed out right about the time the worst of the storm was hitting us. The rain was coming in sheets at a 45 degree angle so my winter PTs didn't do much. After 30 minutes of 1/3 mile laps around the armory I was soaked and had lost all feeling in my fingers. At 45 minutes I decided to call it quits and head back inside for a hot shower. Apparently while I was out running several large containers of hot soup had been dropped off. I still don't know what kind of soup it was, but that was some of the best soup I've ever had to this day. It took about 3 bowls and a hot shower before I began to warm back up. That was about the most excitement from that activation and after 4 days most everyone was sent home.

Upcoming Races

Nutcracker 12 hour- 12/15/15 (Depending on Work Schedule)

Everglades Ultras 50M- 2/20/16

Black Mountain Monster 24 hour- May 2016

www.alwaysmoretogive.com

NHLA

OBMedic  Art Lobe is 5 min. from Lowes in Brevard.  Estatoe turns into Art Lobe. Art Lobe only follows river for 1/2 mile but you can stay on river trail to get some flat miles.  Where do you get on art lobe?

Bike Laurel Mt trail from top of Laurel Mt to the top of Pisgua mt.

Rated highly in bike mag. 8.5 miles one way. Too rocky to be fun to run but loads of fun on a bike. If you got shocks.

some call me Tim

5 slow ones on the home trails.. feeling a little tight, but still a mystery as to what's up. I guess double digit miles might provide a better picture

qotd: nothin here. lots of snow and ice storm stories, but that's about it!

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

happy to report I stayed upright on my hill repeats last night, full week without shedding blood!  got an easy 6 miles in this evening

qotd: not too many hurricanes in Montana , but I was in the Outer Banks of NC vacationing in 1991 when Hurricane Bob was rolling in- we got out of Dodge in a hurry and missed it

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Sandy-2

I plan to run 4 or 5 miles after work today, but then again, maybe not.  This is sort of a recovery/rest week for me followed by a few weeks of ok running, then it's taper time again.

qotd: Like LB2, east Texas gets its share of hurricanes.  Rita was a big one for us, we didn't evacuate since we are on high ground pretty far from the coast, the eye went right over the house though. It was cool, after hours of howling east winds, seeing stars and calm conditions in the eye, followed by a few more hours of howling west winds.  We were without power for about 10 days afterwards.  Fortunately, we had stocked up on Pop Tarts and I had filled up the cars with gas beforehand.  ;-)

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL