Trailer Trash

Flap Down Friday (Read 17 times)

LB2

6.5 early, early this morning.

QOTD: How long do you give a pair of shoes before you determine that they won't work for you?

I bought a pair of NB 110's when they first came out, and they just killed my little toe on my right foot. I toughed it out, determined to give them 100 miles before I threw in the towel on them. I had about 95 miles on them and held out little hope. On that last 5 mile run, I noticed no problem at all. I probably ended up with 500 miles out of that pair and never had another problem with them. Last week, I bought a new pair of Hoka's, and on the first run, I had immediate issues with the insole. I changed insoles, and they are great now. Normally, I don't believe in a "break in" period, but sometimes I think you need to give them a chance. Also, on subsequent purchases of the NB 110's, they worked great right out of the box. Thus, I have a 100 mile minimum before I totally give up and rotate them to the yard work shoe.

LB2

runtraildc

4 easy miles in Rock Creek with a runner friend  at a pace that I could see running for hours. I think I need to reassess long runs. And yes, I know that 'long' here is relative.  Perfect morning. Cooler, sunny and no wind!

qotd: Usually one run, and it's really only happened with one shoe that I immediately sent back. I tested Hokas on a group run once (can't remember which model) and I definitely did not like how those fit -- too wide and sloppy.   I've had shoes that I haven't immediately loved and grew to accept (Cascadias 10s).  Also, I got Saucony Peregrines  over the holidays that I wasn't sure about, but this week, I adjusted the laces on the foot that didn't feel right in the toe box, and things are much improved.

Daydreamer1

Sitting in the cool weather of south central Texas. When it warms up I'll go for a run . It's actually chilly here this morning.  Some time before or after the run I need to rototill the garden. Hey hold on a moment !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I'm supposed to be on vacation why am I working???  Actually my niece's husband is really busy right now and they had just spent a week in MI to be with her father since he is sick with a pancreatic tumor so I'll help out some.

QOTD:  I'm really trying to remember if I ever had a pair that didn't work out for me and I can't remember any.  I have had some that I haven't like as much as I had hoped to so I just wore them out and found something else.  My Altra Olympus are in that category.  They will soon be retired and will be replaced with something from Hoka. My NB 1210s are going to be re-purposed into gym shoes. If they don't work for that they will just be used for short trail runs.

AT-runner

Tim

Survived the dental chair yesterday and celebrated by having a few "Celtic Knot" beers at Appalachian Brewing Company.  They only make it for March, and it's always a big hit. The dentist anted to give me pain meds, but I never take them and self medicated instead. It worked.

20 miler tomorrow on the C&O with DW and another friend.  Supposed to be 20 degrees when we start, so I have to remember how to dress for that weather.

QOTD:  I give them a few run, and I then can tell if they won't work.  I've never tried to get my feet to adjust to them if they don't feel good after 2-3 runs. At that point, they become yard shoes. Have been pretty lucky usually.  I like a loose shoe, and I know for some that would be terrible.  After I get the laces how I like, I knot them and then slip the shoes on and off from then on.  Works for me, and I've never had any blister issues. DW ties her shoes tightly, and that works for her, and she's also blister free.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Ran awesome 5 along the Malecon in Puerta Vallarta...then sat on the balconey and had 2 whales fully entertian me they where breaching and slapping their fins!! I was THRILLED!!!!!

qotd:  I bought the NB 110 and realized quickly that miminalist where not for me.  I worried they would cause foot damage.  Other than that since I am cheap I usually run through whatever bugs me about the shows.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

NHLA

Heading out for a run this afternoon.  Oskar Blues 4 miles race tom.  flat and fast course.

qotd  Nike just doesn't work for me..

Gator eye

Anpther cold and windy morning with more snow. Mr Jangles started growling as soon as I looked at the treadmill so I knew i was going outside whether i wanted to or not. We got 8 cold and lonely miles in this morning. There is something refreshing about putting the first tracks down in fresh snow.  Then my hands got cold and it just sucked.

QOTD: my rule of thumb is 50 miles before forming a opinion and 100 miles before they accidentally have a rip or break down and i can retire them to other duties besides running.

AT-runner

Tim

Ran awesome 5 along the Malecon in Puerta Vallarta...then sat on the balconey and had 2 whales fully entertian me they where breaching and slapping their fins!! I was THRILLED!!!!!

Always wanted to see that. I've been whale watching before but never got to see a whale. How cool.

LB2

During summers in college, I used to work with my ex-fiance's dad on a Japanese whaling ship. We harpooned whales out there off the coast until all the tourists started complaining. I think that was one of the main reasons Sum Yung Ho and I didn't make it for the long haul. She wanted a seafaring man. Thanks Sue. I hope you enjoy your trip!!!

But seriously, I hope you do have a great trip. It sounds fun so far. I have never seen a whale.

LB2

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

great 6 mile run yesterday evening, upper 30's without a hint of wind- windshirt tied around my waist and it stayed there- entire run in shirtsleeves!  Heavenly

will likely strength train this evening

qotd:  with new shoes I try them around the house, I'll usually know if they are going to work and if not they're sent back- it's possible some of those might have worked out in the end???  like others have had shoes I wasn't overly impressed with- funny one pair was the Altra Olympus- I think it's the 0 drop I don't like

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Daydreamer1

I love watching whales. Got to see some nice ones last year in Hawaii.

AT and LB2 - You boys need to take the missuses on a nice vacation to some placed like Maui next January or February.  Should be pretty easy to see some then. Alaska is another decent place but not quite as good as Hawaii in my experience.   For that matter you could join queen in Mexico for a multicultural experience.

Daydreamer1

- funny one pair was the Altra Olympus- I think it's the 0 drop I don't like

For me it was the thick sole that really isn't all that soft and the fact that they are as smooth as racing slicks.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Uno mile last night.  Next to nothing lately but it's ok.  I am yearning for a nice long trail run though.

QOTD: 3-4 runs.  I tried Altra Olympus a couple years ago and hated them.  But I ran in them 3 times just to make sure.  My hokas don't always feel good at first but after 3-4 runs I know if they will be good or not.

Have a great night!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

LB2

For me it was the thick sole that really isn't all that soft and the fact that they are as smooth as racing slicks.

The Olympus 2.0's have good grip. But those shoes are definitely a little stiff underfoot. I was surprised. However, I ran an entire 100 mile race in the same pair, only changed socks once. And I don't even know why I changed socks. My feet were not wet. My feet were in great shape and never hurt during the entire run. That course had a lot of rocks and some sections that were sort of slick but not exactly muddy, and I never had an issue with traction. However, I have busted it several times around the house, and I was certainly mindful of that when I hit the down hills.

I ran another entire 100 in a pair of Lone Peaks. I think it was the 2.0 . They did not have as much cushion but have exceptional grip. I never had a problem with the 100 miles. It was the last 5 or so that my feet hurt bad, but I had already gone several miles beyond the distance of the race because I got off course. That last section was like someone was just hammering on the bottom of my feet. And that came all of a sudden.

LB2

AT-runner

Tim

I love watching whales. Got to see some nice ones last year in Hawaii.

AT and LB2 - You boys need to take the missuses on a nice vacation to some placed like Maui next January or February.  Should be pretty easy to see some then. Alaska is another decent place but not quite as good as Hawaii in my experience.   For that matter you could join queen in Mexico for a multicultural experience.

DW said she'd would actually like Alaska better, and I would probably agree with that. He boss goes fishing every year and she sees bears and whales every trip.