Trailer Trash

Simply the Saturdaily (Read 24 times)

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Good Morning,

Rest day for me today, even though the mountain looks very tempting.

I ran 13 yesterday on rather flat, but very rocky and technical trails. It was a lot of fun, but afterwards, I was toast. My legs hurt and were tired - I guess I'm feeling this week's miles.

My feet hurt like never before, they were just beat up from the rocks. I had been wearing the PureGrits, and obviously they don't offer enough protection for this kind of terrain. Which solves the question whether to wear them during ES100 - I think not.

I challenged myself against some mountain bikers who were riding on the same trail. I left most of them behind in the dust, only one obviously more experienced and skillful guy was able to keep up with me, not over the rocks, but on the milder, grassy stretches in between, and we leapfrogged a few times.

About 2 miles from my car, I heard a loud "splat" on the trail behind me. At first, I didn't really care, there had been many rocks that I had kicked along the way, but eventually, I decided to check. Sure enough, there were my car keys on the trail. I must have left the zipper open just a bit on my handheld pouch, and the key wriggled its way out. Glad I checked, otherwise I would have spent hours looking for them. 

I also got chafed in places where I have never gotten chafed before. The inside of my elbows and knees, for example. I am not sure why, maybe my form was totally off (but it didn't feel that way)? Now it's back to square one, looking for shorts again. Ugh.

QOTD: What is one thing in your house that gives away that a trail runner lives there?

Me: The hydration bladder dangling from the chandelier in the dining area. There is no better place to dry it, the stream of dry air from the A/C blows right by it.

My DH has a lot of patience with me, I know. 

Have a great weekend, runners, and good luck to all the racers!

Run for fun.

moonlightrunner

23 miles on a very flat bike path of packed, crushed limestone. Not a trail I like to run on....it is like running on a freeway. But, it was not bad and I felt better than the hilly 20 I did last week with the surprise road miles at the end. I am tired and very sore. My calves and hamstrings are hurting.

I know that few of you runners are minimalist runners. This is the highest my mileage has ever been and the calf pain is new. I don't know if it is an eating and drinking thing or a shoe problem. It happened with my hilly 20 and my flat 23. Is calf pain just something that happens with increased mileage? You input would be appreciated. I've run exclusively in five fingers for 5 years, except in winter when I wear a water shoe.

Qotd: the smell of stinky running shoes by the door. Now that I run horse trails it is worse than ever!

Thanks! I hope everyone has a great day!

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

Birdwell

Todays planned long trail run turned into a shorter hike.

I underestimated the elevation gain pretty drastically. Got in 6 miles with something like 2000+ feet of gain (on an out and back run )

I found a cave/mine shaft out there thought!

QOTD: The pile of shoes by the bookcase in the living room.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

23 miles on a very flat bike path of packed, crushed limestone. Not a trail I like to run on....it is like running on a freeway. But, it was not bad and I felt better than the hilly 20 I did last week with the surprise road miles at the end. I am tired and very sore. My calves and hamstrings are hurting.

I know that few of you runners are minimalist runners. This is the highest my mileage has ever been and the calf pain is new. I don't know if it is an eating and drinking thing or a shoe problem. It happened with my hilly 20 and my flat 23. Is calf pain just something that happens with increased mileage? You input would be appreciated. I've run exclusively in five fingers for 5 years, except in winter when I wear a water shoe.

Qotd: the smell of stinky running shoes by the door. Now that I run horse trails it is worse than ever!

Thanks! I hope everyone has a great day!

As you might have read in my daily today, I also encountered some never-before-experienced pain after running in my more minimalist shoes on a hard (rocky) surface. With me, it was my feet hurting, as I'm not used to running longer distances, or very often, in more minimalist shoes.

My guess is that in your case, it might be the hard surface, in combination with the long miles. I sometimes get minor pain in my calves after running long distances on hard surfaces or very steep hills. This might even be just naturally hard surfaces, like rock or packed sharp rocks, not necessarily pavement. Key is that the pain disappears after a day or two, except maybe for plain muscle soreness.

But for the day of, it can be quite cumbersome.

I also always keep an eye on the Achilles tendon. I rarely ever have pain there, but if I do, I rest for a day or more, until there is no more stiffness or pain left, even in the morning when I get up.

Run for fun.

runtraildc

Hi Trailers--   I think it will be a gym day today, strength workout and maybe a short treadmill run later this afternoon. nothing exciting.  My household is recuperating from an early am swim meet, me included.

qotd:  Nothing really, because any shoe piles I may have pale in comparison to the amount  of  DH's kitesurfing gear-- harness, wetsuit, and the list goes on.  To my benefit, he rarely notices that I have 4 pairs of shoes in active use, plus others in the closet.

Daydreamer1

Getting ready to head out to help DS with some yard work, mostly mowing but also need to pressure wash some wooden lawn furniture. . Planning a 13.1 mile road run again this evening when it cools down some.

Shoe and leg problems--- Interesting subject since I recently had some of the same problems. Several weeks ago I decided to do a 13.1 mile road run once a week. The first time my feet and lower legs were sore for several days. This past Tuesday I did 20+ trail miles on moderately rocky trails that I normally run and have run that many miles on them in the past. My feet and legs were beat up quite bad at the end.  I think two things occurred that left me sorer then normal.

First was the road run was quite a bit longer then my other road runs this year, so the increased pounding on the hard pavement contributed to the soreness.

Second. My trail run had only a slight increase in mileage over what I've been doing so why was I sore? I believe it was due to the shoes. For the past 3 months I've been running exclusively  in my Hokas. Tuesday I started out in my NB 1210's, did 13 miles then switched to my Hokas for the final 7.5 miles. I could instantly tell that the 1210's did not have the padding I was used to. I wasn't able to descend or push as fast over the rocky technical terrain. They were also not as stable as the Hokas that I normally use.

For me the takeaway lesson was that shoes do matter, but the question remains; Should I stay with the Hokas or should I switch out with the 1210's to actually work my legs and feet more?  I think I'm going to run shorter runs in the 1210's and use the Hokas for the longer runs.

QOTD: Nothing really. Yes I have numerous backpacks and hydration bladders hanging around as well as multiple pairs of shoes and trekking poles, but there are also several bikes in the garage as well as bike shoes mixed with the running shoes. So nothing that necessarily says "trailrunner" but a lot of things that say "active lifestyle"

Dirtrnr

We don't need no stinkin

Was not feeling it this morning, turned around at the bottom of the big climb and called it a day.  Just over 5 miles and never got in a groove.  Oh well tomorrow is another day.

QotD:  hmmm, could be the shoes, but more than likely the bladder drying somewhere, possibly the stash of headlamps and hand held bottles.

Occasional Runner

Ran around the Speedgoat course, working for iRunFar and helping runners. Kind of a rest day, but I'm wiped out!

QOTD: Probably the long row of belt buckles hanging above my pile of running shoes.