Trailer Trash

Altra Lone Peak 2.5 or Neoshell (Read 31 times)

Anyone have any feedback on Altra Lone Peak 2.5 or Neoshell (based on 2.0, not that that has anything to do with sizing).

Particularly interested in how soles wear and how they fit relative to 2.0. (womens'). My 2.0 soles get chewed by angular gravel, esp. compared with my beloved Xodus 3.0..

I have mixed feelings about my LP 2.0 depending on socks and terrain, but like them well enough to try another version..

Thanks.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
    AT-runner

Tim

Lone Peak 2.5's for me.  Love the shoe.  I wore the 2.0's on my Grand Canyon run and traded up to the 2.5 when they came out.  Sizing for me, is the same as the 2.0's. I talked to a rep and he said they have their sizing better now (I have 3 different sized Olympus' that all fit the same. Pairs of 10.5, 11 and 11.5 that all fit like an 11, and all from 2-3 years ago).

Tread seems to be a bit stronger, but I never had problem with the 2.0 treads.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

XtremeTaper

I've been wearing the Lone Peak 2.0's and have just mixed in the new 2.5 version as the 2.0 is getting ready to be retired for yard duty. I run a lot of rocky trails here in PA and while I don't track mileage I believe I've gotten 500+ miles or close to it on the 2.0 shoe. The tread is worn pretty good now but they still run well for shorter runs. I've run a few ultras in them as well. The 2.5 version of the shoe I started running in last month. I'm not really noticing much difference though the upper is a different material.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

LB2

I've been wearing the Lone Peak 2.0's and have just mixed in the new 2.5 version as the 2.0 is getting ready to be retired for yard duty. I run a lot of rocky trails here in PA and while I don't track mileage I believe I've gotten 500+ miles or close to it on the 2.0 shoe. The tread is worn pretty good now but they still run well for shorter runs. I've run a few ultras in them as well. The 2.5 version of the shoe I started running in last month. I'm not really noticing much difference though the upper is a different material.

Is the upper more durable than the 2.0? My brother ran a trail 1/2 on trails the other day that are not anywhere close to being technical. He has a big gash on the side of the upper from a saw briar. Now, we do have some serious saw briars down here, but they shouldn't rip the upper of a shoe like a razor blade.

LB2

XtremeTaper

Is the upper more durable than the 2.0? My brother ran a trail 1/2 on trails the other day that are not anywhere close to being technical. He has a big gash on the side of the upper from a saw briar. Now, we do have some serious saw briars down here, but they shouldn't rip the upper of a shoe like a razor blade.

Hey LB2, based on nothing more than comparing the materials, it's my opinion that the upper will be more durable. My first pair of 2.0 did suffer  a small rip in the upper but hey it's a trail shoe and it still worked fine. It didn't tear all the way through. My second pair, no rips yet.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

LB2

Hey LB2, based on nothing more than comparing the materials, it's my opinion that the upper will be more durable. My first pair of 2.0 did suffer  a small rip in the upper but hey it's a trail shoe and it still worked fine. It didn't tear all the way through. My second pair, no rips yet.

Thank you. I am still back and forth about a shoe for Cottonmouth. I need to make a decision soon. The 2.5 is on the short list, along with the Olympus, Hoka Conquest, and Topo Runventure. This race is pretty much all single track in northern Florida. So, I suspect some roots, probably not even one rock the whole 100 miles, mostly sandy trails covered in pine straw.

LB2

AT-runner

Tim

Thank you. I am still back and forth about a shoe for Cottonmouth. I need to make a decision soon. The 2.5 is on the short list, along with the Olympus, Hoka Conquest, and Topo Runventure. This race is pretty much all single track in northern Florida. So, I suspect some roots, probably not even one rock the whole 100 miles, mostly sandy trails covered in pine straw.

Trail sounds perfect for the Runventure's.  I can only ise them on non-rocky trails as they offer no rock protection at all. I do like them for smooth rolling trails.

Thanks. I just ordered the two closest sizes of each. Return the one that doesn't work.  Neoshell doesn't seem to be too many places yet, and local stores (50mi drive) don't have 2.5, but online places do. Zappos and Amazon both have free shipping both  ways to Alaska, but Zappos is 365 days vs 30 days for Amazon. The 2.5s (Zappos) should be here in a week and the neoshell (Amazon) in 2 wks.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                  LB2

Trail sounds perfect for the Runventure's.  I can only ise them on non-rocky trails as they offer no rock protection at all. I do like them for smooth rolling trails.

Thanks AT.

LB2

Quickie review: I've been using LP 2.0 (size 9.5) as a secondary shoe since about May - primarily for better traction than my go-to Xodus 3 (size 9.5). They have 174 mi. I recently got 9 and 9.5 in LP 2.5 and Neoshell with the intention of returning the size / model(s) that didn't work. I've got about 28 mi on Neoshell 9.5 and 4 mi on LP 2.5 size 9.5.

I definitely can't use smaller size in Neoshell (too narrow), but may be able to with the 2.5 - tried them on indoors and feel usable, esp. on gnarly terrain- have a year to decide before returning the smaller  version. When I take off my Neoshells and put feet in other shoes, I can feel the expanded space immediately, so definitely can't use smaller size. While Altras have wide toe boxes, my feet are widest in the metatarsal region (bunion, bunionette region) - closer to heel than the widest point on Altras.

LP 2.5 and Neoshell appear to have more durable lugs than the LP 2.0, which tended to get eaten by coarse rocks (lost part of a few lugs within 50 miles and many more on some coarse rock near a glacier). They have better traction on wet ground than my Xodus 3.0, which have almost indestructible soles (3 pairs at 900+ miles and still going). Traction on wet ground (packed silt) is a primary reason for using the Altras.

The upper material in the 2.5 and Neoshell does not appear baggy like with the 2.0s - something that Altra noted as an improvement. However, the rubbery toe part of the 2.0 extends further back than on the 2.5.

The Neoshell has been tested on one dry run, then several progressively wetter runs, but nothing over 2 hrs. I haven't had it in puddles over their top or in stream, so not sure about drainage yet. BUT for the rain and snow, they're working well at keeping feet somewhat drier than they used to be - was never expecting completely dry. That also results in faster drying times for the shoes, which is something I was looking for.

I've started trying the Neoshells with Joe Trailman gaiters, and they've worked well so far (2 runs). I may have an adaptation added to keep them down when running through snow, but still playing. Since much of our debris that gets in shoes is glacial,silty grit or snow that comes in through the toe mesh, ankle gaiters never made sense in the past. (I use neoprene overbooties in winter - except hot sometimes.).

These will definitely be good shoes to mix in with my Xodus 3.0.

AT-runner

Tim

Thanks for the update. You'll have to pot a picture of your adaption for gaiters when you're done.

Haven't tried the NeoShell but the LP 2.5's are working very well on PA's rocky trails. I would add a bit more protection for stubbing toes.

Update: based on Neoshell (based on LP 2.0;  sz 9.5, 70+ mi); Lone Peak 2.5, sizes 9 (25mi) and 9.5 (35mi)

Size: LP 2.5 is about same size as LP 2.0, although I"ve only used 9.5 in the 2.0s. Size 9.5 is a little long, but need the width some of the time. It does tend to be sloppy in rough terrain. Size 9 may be a tad short, have had it downhill on some steep slopes, but not long steep hills. It hugs my foot better than the 9.5s, feels more nimble because of snugger fit.

Neoshell is narrower, and I definitely needed a 9.5 in it. 9 wouldn't work,and I sent it back.

The lugs on all 3 are similar and better than those on the regular 2.0s. I haven't noticed substantial wear or tearing on them yet. They felt bouncy - felt a little like a Super Ball when new - slight exaggeration and may be relative to my other shoes, but the cushion did appear to be coming from the sole, rather than movement inside the shoe.

Traction is much better than the Xodus 3.0, but I'd be really surprised if I got 900+ miles out of a pair.

Neoshell feels like it will be great for what I got it for - light snow conditions in winter and wet vegetation / rain in summer. It is somewhat of a disaster for something I didn't expect it to work for - stream crossings over the of the shoe. As I understand it, many waterproof shoes have an internal bootie, which keeps foot sorta dry but outer shoe gets wet and may eventually dry. Neoshells have a waterproof exterior, which keeps the foot and shoe material reasonably dry. IF you go in over the top, the water is held by the shoe top,and can't get out. IOW, the shoe material has to dry from the inside. I think it took 3 changes of soaking wet newspaper to dry.

The Neoshell was a bit stiffer than the others, but after about 50 mi and some rough terrain and snow, it's pretty comfy now, at least on short runs.

I don't think any of these have been worn for over 2.5 hrs yet, but confident they'll do fine.

I've been using the Joe Trailman gaiters, tan, and they work fine for what they were intended - namely sand and sticks, which we don't have much of. They aren't waterproof or resistant at all, and take awhile to dry -not a big deal for use in desert. Apparently the different colors may be different weights, and the person making them would only make the winter version out of black (or olive, iirc). The basic adjustment is to apply two more strips of velcro where the low spots of shoe come. I have not ordered a pair, but have seen the pictures of someone elses. Because of the type material, I'm a little hesitant.

In the meantime our local running store (the one down the street from me) has been carrying icebugs, and that company has a gaiter which is made for winter snow - much more robust. It goes on before your shoe, then the undershoe strap stretches over the shoe when you put it on. So it will be plenty good where JT might be weak. HOWEVER, it doesn't drop down in the back, so is weak where JT is strong.

That same store will be selling Neoshells soon, and LP 2.5 in the spring. (new managers are getting with it)

The owner (a runner) of that store also just opened a gym in the basement - with tm with 30% incline / -3% decline, among other options - and reasonable prices for those of us that just want a shelter from the ice occasionally and a place for upper body work.

LB2

I agree that the material on the LP 2.0 appeared "baggy". I think that is a great description. I am pleased with the upper material for the 2.5. We'll see how they do on a really long run this weekend.

LB2