Trailer Trash

Wet Wednesdailies (Read 30 times)

We got out early again, this time to beat the rain. We still had a very light rain for much of our three mile run, but not enough to really soak us. It was actually pretty pleasant.

Marley treed another raccoon and in the process demonstrated that she is definitely not a coonhound. She never made a sound and lost interest two seconds after it was up the tree. Her good buddy Chloe the Treeing Walker Coonhound would have not only stuck around, but would have let everyone in Leon county know about it.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

runtraildc

Morning trailers!  I got sidetracked yesterday and did not run.  I have 6 or 7 planned today, and I'm trying to decide which trail.  Probably the valley trail so I can get one last look at the bluebells.  Our rain is supposed to come in tomorrow; today is another gorgeous spring day here.

qotd:  Inspired by Marley-- Any interesting animal encounters on the trail to share?   I had a coyote briefly trail me once, while out with my mom's dogs.  The smaller one is definitely coyote snack size, and I learned later that the other dog- a springer- probably disturbed her den.   Definitely got the adrenaline pumping.

AT-runner

Tim

Going to run 4 on the roads at lunch.  Got a new pair of Altra Torin 2.0's that I need to break in.

QOTD:  Nothing unusual lately.  My best encounter was years ago on Assateague Island when I was followed by a deer.  Every time I stopped, it stopped.  It followed me down a gravel road for several miles keeping back about 20 yards.  When I turned to come back, it took the lead and ran in front of me until all of the sudden it turned into the bushes and left me alone.  It was pretty neat.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

NorthernHarrier

4 easy, very easy miles around the hood this morning. My legs just feel drained from a couple hard efforts on Sat. and Mon.  If I am able to get off early enough today I'm hoping for a nice road biking this evening. Awesome weather here.

QOTD--Ever?  Well every time I run in the Arb like tomorrow  I have to literally fight the male butterballs away. Big old Tom's with their harems and they become very aggressive and territorial this time of year. Seeing 50 a day in there while running is pretty normal in the spring. They will charge me flapping and flailing and making a funky hissing sound. Kinda cute really.

As far as ever, well a wolf at 8' staring at each other, moose at 10', grizzly across a meadow, just to mention a few. Kinda why I'm out there I guess.

DigDug2

7 easy this morning - cool and beautiful, legs felt fine after a tempo run yesterday.

QOTD:  nothing exciting here in suburbia - deer, turkeys, foxes, occasional hawks that I stop and watch.

adkkev

Going to run 4 on the roads at lunch.  Got a new pair of Altra Torin 2.0's that I need to break in.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the new Torins ... Thanks!!

XtremeTaper

A bit groggy today getting back home from vacation around 3am last night. A lot of road running down in the FL Keys but I mostly kept to the 6 mile a day wake up and run plan except for yesterday where I ran a 9 mile loop around the island of Key West. We drove the whole island chain down from south FL and those runners that do the keys100 must be nuts. No way I would run that route. The 7 mile bridge crossing looks like a potential death trap since you have to run on the median which is not very wide.

Back to normal stuff tonight. Lace up my trail shoes and hit the trail with the Lady for an hour or so.

QOTD: Usual wild life here, nothing to exceptional other than the human wildlife on the top of Hawk Mountain when we do that run on the AT and Skyline trail. Finishing up the last rock scramble/climb you are greeted by a horde of people sitting on the mountain top with cameras and binoculars. We usually say something to the wildlife as we pass by there.

AT - I still am on my first pair of Torins but I run so little road these days that they will last quite some time. I don't really have a strong opinion on them yet like I did with the Lone Peaks which I love.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the new Torins ... Thanks!!

Hiya, stranger! 

Well, I did something stupid last night.  I decided to go play soccer by myself for a little while in the park and somehow managed to pull my quad after only like 10 minutes.    Newsflash:  Mandy. Is. Old.   Looks like I'm resting for yet another few days.  Lordy.

QOTD: My favorite was probably when Bella got in a howling match with a coyote.

Running is dumb.

adkkev

Newsflash:  Mandy. Is. Old.   

My kids are older than you so I suppose that makes me ancient.  Or a relic.  Or maybe both!  

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Didn't run yesterday because when I when to change there was not bra in the bag..   even these little girls bounce around too much!

Heading to Mexico tomorrow to San Filipe Baja Mexico so will definitely be off the grid until 05/09/15.  This trip will be like extremes...get up and run in am down the beach and back.,  Really do not like beach running.  May venture into the desert but those road are rough.  There will lot's of beer drinking, quad riding (we are going to ride quads to Gonzaga Bay)  game playing, beach lounging and bomb fires.

QOTD:  I was going to say what Mandy said about the howling back and forth between wild coyote and tame dog but she beat me too it.  Another was when my dog and I got between a Momma coyote and here babies...man was she screaming up  a storm.

Mandy;   bummer...maybe swimming

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

7 miles on the Quehanna today. We were trying to stay on the cross connector that makes it an 8 mile loop, but I panicked and took a wrong turn that shortened our run.  It was a nice run, though.  Fairly flat, kind of rocky, I look forward to exploring a little more in the near future.

Heading to Mexico tomorrow to San Filipe Baja Mexico so will definitely be off the grid until 05/09/15.  This trip will be like extremes...get up and run in am down the beach and back.,  Really do not like beach running.  May venture into the desert but those road are rough.  There will lot's of beer drinking, quad riding (we are going to ride quads to Gonzaga Bay)  game playing, beach lounging and bomb fires.

have fun Sue!! Sounds like a great vaca.  Always nice to get off the grid for awhile.

QOTD: nothing too wild... Though in the past couple weeks I've been caught off guard by a grouse on more than one occasion. I don't know who scares who more, but the flapping and feathers out of nowhere definitely storks my blood pressure for a minute.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Kevin -- old guys are awesome.  I love running with the old guys in the back of the pack during races.  They have the best stories.

Sue -- that sounds amazing.  We'll miss you, but I hope you have a fantastic time in Mexico!  I like beach running if the sand is hard packed; loose sand...yuck!  You're right.  I should just give up running and start swimming.  Maybe I'd be injured less.  I'm still ahead of you in miles though.

Running is dumb.

Daydreamer1

It's a lovely, lovely day here in central PA.  Unfortunately I'm spending it at work .

QOTD:  Recently it's just been the normal grouse scaring me when they flush. Haven't even seen any deer in the woods yet this year. Plenty of them along the roads at night. It's only a matter of time until I whack one with the car. Every year I'll see a bear or two, mostly only for a few seconds. I think the most exciting animal encounter I had was in Alaska. I was out on some old roads going back to the Pipeline north of Fairbanks when a Cow moose and yearling calf came jogging out of the woods.  I always knew that moose were big, but I was surprised at how tall the cow was. She was probably a good 6 foot at the shoulder.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Got in 4 miles this morning.  It is such a great day out...almost perfect weather.  And I am stuck inside!

Mandy - playing soccer alone and you tweaked a hammy? Were you pretending to be in the world cup or something? I can see if you jumped into a pick up game or something but by yourself?? Maybe you are old...

Sue - have a blast!

QOTD: I have my bear story from three years ago - I know I have shared before but I will share again.  I have always wanted to see a black bear in the wild.  Lots of miles of trails (hiking and running) and I never saw one.  Finally at my first attempt at Hyner 50k, I saw a young bear playing around.  It was cool.  Just a few weeks later I was on one of my favorite trails for a 11 mile loop.  I was getting close to finishing the loop and heard a big rustle ahead of me move from one side of the trail to the other low under the brush.  I knew it wasn't a deer.  But things were fairly grown (early June) so I could not quite make it out.  I had stopped of course and then saw a nice size head pop up in the brush about 30 ft off the trail.  It was a decent size black bear.  She sat down in there and just stared at me.  I was only 3/4 of a mile from my car but needed to go past her to get to it.  I didn't know what to do.  She was looking right at me.  I snapped a few pictures and contemplated turning back but this would have added many miles to my day.  So I stood there, knees shaking, staring at this bear who was staring at me...a good 5-6 minutes that felt like an hour.  Finally she turned her head and I took off down the trail much faster than I have ever down that part of the trail. It was exhilarating to say the least.  I never felt threatened but it sure wasn't like everyone describes normal bear behavior.  My guess is she had a den nearby and was just keeping an eye on me.  Talked to a local runner who described almost the same exact thing when he was running in the same area a year later.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Sandy-2

A little less dizzy than yesterday, but still made for an 'interesting' 6 mi run. Then after my run and a shower all is fine.  I'm going to see an ENT guy tomorrow, hoping for a cure.

The weather in TX is really nice, even low humidity!!!

QoN, have a great time down in Baja, sounds like a lot of fun.  Just watch out for the Tequila.

qotd: I encountered a pack of Coyote's once while running in CA, but they seemed to be more interested in the dumpster nearby than with me.  Down in TX I saw three little baby hogs running next to me and thought they were cute, but then when I ran into their Mom who was about 3 feet tall and about 6 or 7 feet long I quickly stopped and let them go their merry way snorting along.  

tbd.