Trailer Trash

Thursday Dailey---Cougar Killing (Read 24 times)

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Did you hear about the woman who was killed by a Mountain Lion in Oregon?  It's about 15 miles from where I will be racing next weekend   so be nice to me.    just in case...

No run this morning...funny how you start feeling weird stuff, niggles as we like to call them, just before a big race!  Knee hmm...ankle hmm...

QOTD:  Would a Mt Lion Killing within 10 days where you plan on racing stop you from racing, what if it was just a planned trail run?  I will still run my race but if it was in an area that I had planned to just do a run I would go there until they have more news...such as locating the lion.  Although I don't want them to kill it.  As I told my husband, I am more likely to die on the way up in a car accident.

Guess the normal folks that start the thread are partying in Colorado.  I received a picture from AT last night that showed them saddled up to the bar with empty glasses in front of them and large smiles on their faces.    I was a bit jealous.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Bert-o

I lost my rama

I've come to believe that niggles are my friends.   Don't let them get into your head Sue!

It will be another warm muggy run tonight.  Hope for 4 or so after work.

QOTD:  Yes, I'd still run the race.  Since cougars like to attack from behind (so I've been told), I'd just try to stay in front of another runner.... preferably a smaller person (i.e. - female).  J/K - I'd be a gentleman and run behind until out of the woods, so to speak.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

XtremeTaper

Still cloudy and humid here. I had a decent 7 miler out on the lakeside trails last night. Despite numerous patches of mud and muck, pulled off 7 under 70 again. Some really dark clouds out there last night, and I expected it to pour but there was just a mist, and shockingly a bit of sunshine at the finish. Today, took the Lady out for a short 3 mile doggie jog on the local trail at lunch. Hoping for a dry evening so I can mow the yard.

QOTD: Yes, I would do the race, and probably even run out there if I was in a large group. I think.

Queenie - Taper on... the deposits/money is in the bank so to speak. Perhaps wrap yourself in bubblewrap until race day.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

A slow 4 this morning.  I meant to run more but it was tough just getting motivated to get out the door.  DW is away for the next two days.  Just me and the kids! Party time.

Queen - I would agree on the niggles.  We become more aware of them leading up to a race.  Maybe the cougar thing is just a good way to take your mind off of the fact that you are about to do a freakin' hundo!!!!!! 

I am sure the crew is having a blast in CO.

QOTD: I would possibly change a training run but not a race.  Knowing there are others out there with me would give me some peace.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

LB2

I ran the normal 2.5 mile loop this morning. Nothing special.

Sue: I hear you on the niggles. I don't know if that is a mental thing or if it is a real issue with the body repairing itself during tapering. Maybe it is a little of both.

QOTD: That would not deter me from running the race. Although, I ran a trail in New Mexico once that was basically a stream side trail that ran along the road. The canyon got increasingly more narrow, and the canyon walls looked like they just shot up into the sky, ledges along the canyon were perfect for a big cat to pounce onto something or someone. I don't know if I got claustrophobic or slightly "cougarphobic" where it got really tight. I was really running down there to see if I could get a good path across some private land onto to more public where I had heard some turkeys gobbling, but I turned around before I got to the edge of the private.

LB2

moonlightrunner

Queen, I would run a race...but not a Training run. However, being a way-in-the -back-of-the-back-of-the-pack runner...I consider myself bear bait at the very least ..after all you fast people piss off the wildlife, they can feely fucus their anger on the slow moving runner bringing up the rear. You will be fine.

Running after work. 9 is in the plan. Wishing I had run this morning in the dark

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

Sandy-2

Got up really early and did 10 mi. 100% humidity, but it was a touch cooler so that was good. I was still a soggy mess when I was finished.

QoN - As far a niggles are concerned, I've been dealing with them this whole training cycle, so I figure that they are really going to hit when I start tapering next week. How's the drop bag planning going?

qotd: I saw the report of the woman who was killed by the mountain lion, very sad, but also very rare.  I'd do the race though, after-all I am doing something called The Bear soon...   just have to remember to make noise so you don't surprise any of those big cats or bears. If I was going on a training run alone, I'd probably heed the warnings and not run in the early morning or early evening.

tbd.

GC100k

10 miles on the roads this morning.

QOTD: I don't have to outrun the mountain lion...

Actually, as slow as I am, that old joke doesn't help. But the first thing they say is try to look big, and at 260 lbs I'm going to look bigger than others. Or maybe tastier too.

Cougars have been my favorite animal since I was a little kid. It'd be a thrill to see one in the wild. Knowing there's one out there that is not hiding from humans might make me more likely to run the race.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I'm leaving tomorrow to go backpacking in the upper peninsula of Michigan.  (Sorry, I should really say in the da UP with the Yoopers.  Some of you will understand that sentence!)  My first solo trip.  My first solo vacation.  I hope I don't get lost or eaten by a bear or cry too much in the car.

Can't wait to hear stories from the folks out in Colorado right now!

QOTD:  It wouldn't even give me pause.  You'll be in a big group of folks and attacks are super rare.  Go forth and don't worry!

Running is dumb.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Bert-O:  I really believe you have an alternative reason fro running behind the smaller female runner. 

XT:  Umm yep.  going to run 10 Saturday with a training group and I agreed to take up the back and run walk a woman to the end.  So more like a hike.  I'd like to insert a face chewing on their fingernails here but we have none.

Jamie:  Hoping the cougar thing will make me move faster at night.  Lately I have been waking up around 3 am with anxiety about this race.  Last night I thought...maybe this will help me in the run at 3 AM.

Moonlight:  Or you could look at it this way...your a back of the packer so the animal has already had his fill.

Sandy:  Drop bags...hmmm..I have started looking at others list.  I plan to start putting them together the next 2 nights while the DH is out of town.  and a more current weather check, although looks good.  70s day and 40's night.

GC100K:  I actually saw one at dusk.  I saw it cross the trail from afar and thought it was a dog, but when I got to the area I saw him walking away in the woods with that tail which is a no brainer for id'ing.

Madny:  Wen to college in da UP.  Where are you going?  Porkies?  and I am not worried but it will probably creep me out at night if I am alone and hear something.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Madny:  Wen to college in da UP.  Where are you going?  Porkies?  and I am not worried but it will probably creep me out at night if I am alone and hear something.

Yes, the Porkies.  Should be a fairly "easy" first solo trip.  And don't worry about cougars at night.  Worry around sunset. 

Running is dumb.

valerienv

Thread killer ..

I'm much more worried about them over in your neck of the woods . I did a race in Auburn and found out from a friend they saw a mt. lion on the same trail a week later!  Sad as that story is it wouldn't stop me from going to the race .

runtraildc

short treadmill jog before yoga at the gym earlier. This new teacher is tough. I struggled through class, but I can tell my non-running muscles are getting stronger. Which hopefully makes me a stronger runner.

qotd: Race, yes. Solo run-- no. I've encountered a cougar while solo hiking (in Gatsby's area).  Terrifying. I quickly made noise, made myself bigger (hoping my pack would help) and skedaddled from there. Since I only heard it from the brush, and did not actually see it, I cannot prove that's what it was. But the rangers had told me there were mountain lions in the area, and nothing else could have made that sound. Unless it was humans, and if so, they got what they deserved (poison oak).

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Trailer Trash Meet Up

Image may contain: 3 people, including Jessica Slechter Sheahan, people smiling, people sitting and indoor

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Holy crap Mike is smiling!    Looking good, gang!

Running is dumb.