Trailer Trash

Post-race foot swelling - help! (Read 32 times)

SillyC

Hi everyone,

Anyone got any good tips for getting the swelling down in my feet?

I ran the Beast of Burden 50 on Saturday.  I didn't get my compression socks (I have the old lady ones - the good kind) until about 3 hours post race, and I wore them overnight and well into the next day.

My big "mistake" was driving 7 hours home about 12 hours after the race.  My right foot is fine because I moved it a bit, from the gas to the brake, but I didn't move my left leg much at all, and my left foot is puffy and splotchy.  I elevated it last night in bed and have it up on a chair right now at work.

Anyone know anything else I can do for it?

Thanks!

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Congrats on the race! Looking forward to your RR. I've never had swollen feet after a race, but after hours of city-sightseeing on conferences (where I sat still for hours on end after all the walking on concrete). So I think the cause is similar to yours. What helped me was overnight (or anytime in betwee when I could) lying down with my legs straight up, like at an almost 90 degree angle. This is a bit uncomfortable , but not too much. I avoid anything constricting when I have swollen legs or feet, even compression socks or stockings. You can also try to get a special drainage massage from a massage therapist to help the fluids move along. Reviewing your protein ans salt intake during the race and after might help you see if you need to replenish, or hold back a little now, but it should not be a key factor for the swelling to subside. Hope you'll be better soon!

Run for fun.

SillyC

Congrats on the race! Looking forward to your RR. I've never had swollen feet after a race, but after hours of city-sightseeing on conferences (where I sat still for hours on end after all the walking on concrete). So I think the cause is similar to yours. What helped me was overnight (or anytime in betwee when I could) lying down with my legs straight up, like at an almost 90 degree angle. This is a bit uncomfortable , but not too much. I avoid anything constricting when I have swollen legs or feet, even compression socks or stockings. You can also try to get a special drainage massage from a massage therapist to help the fluids move along. Reviewing your protein ans salt intake during the race and after might help you see if you need to replenish, or hold back a little now, but it should not be a key factor for the swelling to subside. Hope you'll be better soon!

Thanks!  I'll maybe do some of that against the wall when I get home.

I gotta tell you - the fluid and salt intake management during this race was way harder than I thought it was going to be.  Aid was only every six miles or so.  Water freezing was a constant battle - I know how to win that one, but I had to fight it the whole time, KWIM?  So was "intake" of anything with the face mask on.  Also, the sweating situation - I had no idea how much fluid I was losing to sweat, but sweating is very bad anyway because you just CANNOT let yourself get wet during that race.

I was very surprised at how much of a mental game there was for this race.  I thought it would be easy - I go on 5 hour runs in the winter all the time - but 50, and racing, was definitely a level up.  Just as an example - around mile 45, I wanted to give some gummy bears to my friend.  They were BURIED in my clothes.  So we wanted to keep moving AND get these gummy bears.  I had to really think about how to get these gummy bears, keep moving, and avoid dropping my gloves, a layer, or anything in the dark.  I had him strip my parka off and carry it.  I clipped my gloves to a carabiner on my waist pack.  While I dug for gummy bears, I had him get my parka sleeves right side out.  Then after I got the gummy bears, we were coordinating who held what when I tried to dress again and give the guy gummy bears.  I mean, all freaking day like that.

Fantastic race though - I would definitely recommend this race.  But only to the right person.

Sandy-2

I also find that my feet swell up if I wear compression sleeves (without the sock part) while driving home (of flying) after a long race.  As you guys have discussed, I try to elevate my feel as much as I can.  I also put some lotion on the soles of my feet, not sure it helps with the swelling around the ankles, but it does feel better on the bottoms.

Congrats on the finish, also looking forward tot he RR.

tbd.

LB2

It will subside. But I think elevating your feet is a good way to help the process, especially right after you finish the race. I also advocate drinking a lot of water. I don't know if there is any real science behind that, but I believe it works. And I am pretty sure it doesn't hurt.

LB2

SillyC

Well, I'm whining now because I think maybe I hurt my left foot.  It hurts!  It hurts!  It's all swollen up in the arch,  right in front of the heel, and it hurts when I step on it.

I thought it was doing better, so I decided to go out for a short jog last night.  It felt great until 1.5 miles in, then it started screaming and it hasn't stopped.

I'm still holding out hope that I just bruised my foot there.  I run in minimalist shoes, so this happens sometimes.

Looks like I'm going to take a couple of more days off of running.