Trailer Trash

It's Monday (Read 21 times)

runtraildc

Hello to the week. Rest day here and my legs are telling me they need it. I ran a local 10k in the state park yesterday. Roads, but a good hilly course to push my speed.  I'll get in some strength training in later today, maybe in the form of pushing a wheelbarrow filled with manure and soil.

qotd: What's your next big race (or adventure run)? And are you ready? I don't have anything special coming up, just a few races I do every year in the 10 mile range.  I'm thinking about the Mount Desert Island Marathon this fall after being inspired by wcrunner (right?). It's a favorite place of mine and I'll find any reason to go visit, even a (road) marathon.

LB2

I ran an easy 2 this morning. I overslept and didn't have time to do my normal 4.5. Actually, today was an SRD, but I wanted to get a little quick turnover because the last couple of days have been more hiking than running.

QOTD: My next scheduled race (one I have paid for already) is Pinhoti in November. I got the early bird special, but I committed to run it this time last year. I am not ready yet, but I'll start a focused effort on May 22nd, 180 days out. I may run a 50 miler in September as a long run. I'm just continuing to build up a solid base of mileage until May.

LB2

Daydreamer1

I got home yesterday morning to find a grumpy,  sleeping bear on my couch. I'm sure that's what it was because I poked it and it snarled at me, rolled over and went back to sleep.  Still there when I left again last night and still there when I got home this morning. I'm sure it must be a hibernating bear but DW assures me it's just DS . Claims he's just jet lagged .   He got in from Guam sometime Saturday night and still seems to be recovering.  Kids........no stamina .

Anyway, after helping him test the fuel vapor recovery system on his car, he'll head to his apartment and I'll head to the gym. Probably just lifting today. Maybe a real short jog on the TM.

QOTD: Delaware Triple Crown. They announced that it's the last year for the Triple Crown so I signed up for that. I'm not really ready for that many miles but I'll tough it out. Or if I end up feeling bad I'll just skip the 10k and do the 1/2, take a break and do the 5k.  It's not a big race for me.

Question for Harrier about maple syrup.

I'm not a big fan of maple syrup. I've always found it to be rather thin,  watery and low on flavor. All my experience with the stuff comes from the Vermont and PA syrups. Last year my SIL, who lives in Michigan, gave us some that someone from their church had cooked down.  The stuff is really good. It's thicker, has a real nice medium dark color, and great flavor. Is this because of the way it was processed or could it be due to the type of trees that are in Michigan or the upper mid west?

AT-runner

Tim

We're in Hilton Head for the week. Ran 10 on Saturday and 12 yesterday. We've also walked over 10 miles. Plan is reading a book today while relaxing on the beach. Maybe long walk on the sand.

Yesterday's run was tough with temperatures in upper 70's and high humidity.  Just Thursday, I was running with gloves and a jacket. Heat acclimation time.

Sandy- wowser. Sorry about the horses, how sad. Cars can be fixed easier than an injured animal.

QOTD: Sole Challenge 48 hr edition is Memorial day weekend. I'll answer the second part after the race .

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Not sure that I feel real sorry for AT and his high humidity on the beach...

Rainy weekend, always cloudy, still quite cool, just waiting for spring to arrive here.  Meanwhile I gotta listen to my parents complain that they're "vacationed out" and ready to head home from the constant 70 degrees and sunshine in Arizona.

I'm off to see my chiro today, hoping that he can help sort out all my issues.  He's not the back cracking type chiro, but more of a soft tissue torturer.   I foresee a lot of pain in my future.

QOTD: Nothing planned.  I'm just happy I made up back up the Grand Canyon.

Running is dumb.

XtremeTaper

Not sure of plans today. Big week for me last week, but likely do a run this evening with the Lady. Ran Blue Marsh Lake Loopie on Sunday, 23 miles, and about 10 miles yesterday at Nolde Forest. Snow is gone and surprisingly not super muddy at Blue Marsh the other day.

QOTD: I am signed up and have paid for Mohican100 again. Working on logistics to perhaps run SweetH20 50k in the Atlanta area again late April. I am not quite ready for Mohican. Well, perhaps endurance wise ok but well behind where I was last year in terms of overall fitness. Creaky and old feeling right now. I need to stop looking at old training logs and accept the new norm!

In dog beers, I've only had one.

NHLA

NHLA

NHLA

4 miles on the trails sun.  More turkeys than you could count. 4 miles around the mt this morn.

qotd   Got a 1/2 comming up nx mo.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I think I am supposed to comment about my running but there hasn't been much to it.  I will get in something tonight.

AT - we feel so bad for you!

Sandy - I saw your posts from the weekend.  That is crazy the amount of damage to the car but I guess if the horses were spooked that much, they could easily do damage to most anything.  Wondering if that is covered by insurance.  It makes me think of those Allstate commercials where the mayheim guy plays all sorts of different things to illustrate insurance.

DC - go for the Mount Desert Island race!!!

QOTD: Nope, nothing, nada.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Daydreamer1

QOTD: Nothing planned.  I'm just happy I made up back up the Grand Canyon.

Did I miss your hiking report on this one?    Any pictures???  You can't just tease me us with snippets of talk about being at the Grand canyon  and not at least give us pictures.

runtraildc

DD- while I hope NH pipes in on this, I will also comment.  The 'thin, watery and low on flavor' grade of maple syrup is Grade A/Fancy/Light Amber (the naming system for maple syrup has recently changed).  This stuff is the more expensive syrup but also lacks flavor IMO.  What your're SIL probably gave you was Grade B/Dark & robust which is what I strongly prefer.  Darker color, much more maple flavor and more often used for cooking.  The different 'grades' of syrup result from different production times in the season (not how it is made, nor the type or age of the tree).  I think Grade A/Light is from sap collected earlier in the season, then it gets progressively darker/more flavored.

Question for Harrier about maple syrup.

I'm not a big fan of maple syrup. I've always found it to be rather thin,  watery and low on flavor. All my experience with the stuff comes from the Vermont and PA syrups. Last year my SIL, who lives in Michigan, gave us some that someone from their church had cooked down.  The stuff is really good. It's thicker, has a real nice medium dark color, and great flavor. Is this because of the way it was processed or could it be due to the type of trees that are in Michigan or the upper mid west?

NHLA-- nice turkey pics!

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Did I miss your hiking report on this one?    Any pictures???  You can't just tease me us with snippets of talk about being at the Grand canyon  and not at least give us pictures.

Oops, sorry!    I've been meaning to get on that.  Better get my butt into gear...

Running is dumb.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

got my back to back 12 milers in this weekend - it's a nice out and back with four pretty good climbs (~2600'). Legs are definitely a little sore, but that good kind of sore

what's more sore are my triceps from Friday's body weight workout- 400 push-ups evidently will do that

weight training this evening (light on the triceps!)

qotd: 30k Don't Fence Me In mid-May, the biggie is the Bob Marshall Open end of May

Mandy- yes to a trip report 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Queen of Nothing

Sue

We had old friends surprise us yesterday with a visit and they spent the night so no run this morning...too busy feeding them.    Maybe a run after work.

QOTD:  Marquette 50 Miler...may sign up for a 30K on 04/22 at Whiskeytown Waterfall Race.  Linking it in case Gatsby is interested.  Ready for a 30 K but not ready for the 50 miler yet.

Saturdays run....

Image may contain: plant, tree, outdoor, nature and water

Image may contain: dog, tree, plant, sky, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: dog, tree, plant, outdoor, nature and water

Image may contain: plant, tree, outdoor, nature and water

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄