Trailer Trash

And yeah, it's Monday....again (Read 37 times)

NorthernHarrier

Back late last night so to respond to yesterday's thread.

Thanks for the comments and info on Rothrock. Doesn't sound like the race changes improved things but it still sounds pretty cool. I'm hoping to meet up with a couple of you guys there too.

I am working today and from here on out Fridays will be my off day. Today will be a workout in the cave with elliptical.

boyjame--nice run yesterday. Great progress!

Moonlight--What a horrible deal for you. Remember I broke my hand last Feb. I was still able to run once the pain subsided. Sucks.

Mandy--I am optimistic that you are still healing. Limited blood flow in there so a slow process. I think you have been making great strides.

Warden--Good stuff. Again.

QOTD--First job you ever had?

I was 12 years old thru 15 years old and would get a summer job with the Madison rec dept as a ball shagger for mens baseball games. Made a $1.50 per game with 2 games a night thru the summer. Serious money in those days for a punk kid.

runtraildc

Morning trailers!  Got 4 or 5 miles, fast, planned for today.  I might fit in a strength session at the gym, too.

qotd:  from 13 to 17, I worked as a personal aid to an elderly woman.  It mainly consisted of getting her meals, helping her exercise and playing backgammon at her jade and ivory inlaid backgammon table.  Still love that game to this day.  Amazing woman (former silent movie star, lived all over the world), but not easy to get along with.  It was fun, but it was work.

AT-runner

Tim

SRD today, but I might do a bit of walking, since I need to do more of that.

From Yesterday:

Jamie - Don't over do it, but glad your'e out there.

Mandy - Agree with NH.

Moon - Damn, sorry to hear that.

Sue - GO FOR A RUN !!!

QOTD:  I was a Forecaddie at a Country Club in the DC area.  We were to young to caddie so we went ahead of the groups and spotted where the balls landed.  Pay was all tips.  Very wooded course, so we were always appreciated.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

XtremeTaper

Decent weekend of running here... 17.5 on Saturday and 8 yesterday out on the trails of French Creek. Mountain bikers had been out there packing down the snow into a nice ribbon of white single track. Good stuff. I thanked all of them I encountered. Mild weather too, high 30's to low 40's. Today I think it will 6-7 miles out on the green lane lake trails late in the day. Suppose to be rainy and cold or icy and cold or some sort of precipitation and cold. Oh well.

QOTD: Mowed some yards here and there but that was not really very steady work. At 15, went to work at Burger King as a fast food robot. Couldn't believe how simple the work was. Put a burger on the flame broiler and a bun when the call it out? Ok, that's it?! Despite it sort of being an awful job it did lead me to develop a good work ethic and responsibility at a young age. I'd ride my bike to work most of the time as well.

Moon - Just read about your slip and fall. So sorry. Hope you can find some exercise that works out for you. Be careful.

Queenie - Get your ass out there already!

Harrier - I haven't done that race either but the traildogs put on great races. Enjoy. I will be in taper mode that week.

AT - Sometime I think being a tour caddie would be a fun job.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

muppy

5.2 miles on the sloppy slushy snowy trails, kind of weird wearing shorts and micro spikes at the same time!

QOTD My first job was helping my brother deliver  newspapers when I was 10. First real job was a dishwasher at a fancy restaurant , when I was old enough I moved up to busboy, minimum wage and tips was great for a 16 year old, I made great money for being a dumb kid!

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

SRD for me.  This is going to be the longest work week of my life.  IS IT FRIDAY YET?!

QOTD: I started bagging groceries at age 15.  That prestigious job also involved running carts in 90+ degree days that summer.  Thankfully it wasn't long before I was promoted to cashier.  I did that all through high school and college.  Taught me a lot about people and treating others with respect.  I can't stand people who are mean to service workers; they have a special place in hell.

Running is dumb.

Rest day! Had a full weekend, so I'll be sure to enjoy it.

QOTD: Drove the tractor for hay bailing on our family farm a lot starting probably about age 8. (I recall needing to slide off the seat to fully compress the brake.) I didn't get paid for this as it was my family, but sometimes local farmers would give me a tiny bit to help them as well. Then I got older/stronger and had to work on the wagon instead...and all the fun went downhill!

Daydreamer1

Legs are pretty beat up from the last three days. Hit a lot more hills then I'm used to. SRD due to working.

QOTD: I grew up on a small farm. That wasn't enough to keep me busy so I'd help out the neighbor. Mostly putting hay away. Of course that was back in the days when they were all the small bales, so that meant we had to stack them on a wagon in the field, toss them into an elevator then stack them in the barn again. None of the big bales the farmers play with today.  Also shoveled my share of cow and hog poop. First regular job was at a livestock auction. I loved working with the cattle, even after I got kicked so hard one day I couldn't walk right for two weeks .

LB2

SRD.

QOTD: I guess it would be working in my dad's slaughter house. We owned a custom butcher shop that basically took your cow or hog from the field and all the way to the table. We also processed deer during the fall and winter, but mainly we handled beef and pork.

LB2

sugnim

Morning all.  I hardly ever run on Mondays, today is no exception.  I did commute to work by foot in the rain, however.

QOTD:  I have always worked.  When I was a child, I would also sweep neighborhood porches (for a dime!), and then in about 3rd grade, I had a dog walking business.  In junior high, I worked in the school cafeteria and got 4 bucks plus a fee lunch each day.  In high school, I made cotton candy and churros at a water park for $4.25 an hour, and worked at a music store where I stayed until halfway through college.

hog4life

I'm still pretty sore today, especially my feet. The race on Saturday had an extreme amount of camber almost the entire race. I'm thankful though, because it doesn't feel like an injury. I have some repeat intervals planned for later.

My first official job was at McDonald's when I was 17, but at 14 I was able to help a surveyor measure out placement for telephone poles.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Going to run to night; six.  May be on the treadmill but I will run.  Thought there was a break in the rain so took the dogs for a walk this morning only to be dumped on.

QOTD:  I also was a dishwasher in the school cafeteria in middle school.  For this I received a free hot lunch, so my Mom would give me the $2.50 she would have had to pay for hot lunch.  Favorite hot lunch meal; mash potatoes with hamburger gravy!   Of course there was always babysitting.  First real job was as a dishwasher at Skyline Chili.  I loved dish washing; very rewarding starting with a hugs mess and cleaning it up, plus you didn't have to talk to customers.

Mandy:  I feel your pain..on the long work week not the hip.  I feel the same.  I HATE my job.  But at least a holiday weekend is coming and my girlfriend is coming for a visit.

Mupppy:  Shorts and spikes!  That does seem strange.

AT and XT:  Yea I know!!!

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

moonlightrunner

Great qotd very interesting answers.

No run for me today. I see or tho on Wednesday. I could run. It really does not hurt. I am just fearful of falling and injuring the otherarm and not being able towipe my own a$$. I will run probably before the splint is off...not sure when and if outside or in.

Qotd: hotel maid. I sucked and hated it. Two weeks later I got a job at a cemetery as ground worker. I liked that better. Clients did not complain.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Lots of fun reads today!

Still at work, since 5:30 in the morning... 

Planning on a run when I get home, maybe with DD. 

Harrier: Rothrock will still be great. The new trails have some nice fern groves, and some epic hills through the forest, with good footing, so this should really be a lot of fun. Probably would get old at some point if the course was kept the same for too long, and some of the trails that were replaced really need a break to recover from erosion.

QOTD: Collecting people's responses for market research. The topic was banking and income - no surprise (well, to me as a 16-year-old it was) I got many doors slammed into my face, and sometimes even rudely insulted, threatened, and physically attacked (face slapped, papers ripped out of my hands and destroyed, slapped with my clipboard,...). Remember, this was Austria, at the dawn of the 80's, not the best place for peaceful living). As I got paid by the number of completed surveys, needless to say, the job did not pay well.

In college, I worked for the Physics and Technology Department, as a translator, student tutor, and research assistant. Way more civilized, and was mostly left alone, so I could get the work done more successfully.

Run for fun.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

No run today but I will hop on the stationary bike later to work up a sweat.

All this talk of Rothrock has me salivating to get back in there and just do it.  Marie - the only time I ran Rothrock (in 2011) you ran it too but this was before we knew each other.  I have a vague memory of being passed by a little-ish female who asked me if I was alright (I was walking at the time on a fairly flat trail after the big boulder climb) and had a European accent.  I think it was you.  I remember later we compared our finishing times and we were close.   What are the chances that was you?? (Weird how our minds remember things).

QOTD: Ummm....It was a cleaning job just not sure which came first - cleaning a church or an elem school.  Let me tell you, custodians do not get enough credit.  I worked as a PT school custodian and those kids were disgusting.  The FT custodian left the nasty stuff to me.  But I remember having fun going into place in the school (which I attended when I was younger) that I had never been in as a student always wanted to (i.e. the teacher's lounge, the spooky backroom off the cafeteria, the weird speech therapy office). Good question - thanks for helping me bring back memories.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday