Trailer Trash

Freaky Fridaily (Read 39 times)

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I really thought I set my alarm on my phone.  I turned over and squinted to look at the clock.  It read 5:55.  Oops! I missed it.  So I rolled back over for another hour of sleep.  I guess my body, my phone, the stars aligning, or something was telling me to stay in bed this morning.

QOTD: Are you judgemental of other runners?

My judgmentalism is different than it used to be.  Pre running (5 yrs ago) I would have great been critical of runners.  For instance this morning driving to work I saw an obese female out running very slowly.  Back 5 yrs ago I would wondered why she is trying.  But now I am like "You go girl!".  At races I get a little judgmental of runners who look completely stacked.  They are muscular, have all the latest gear, etc etc.  Maybe I am just jealous I don't look like them.  But in the end, it doesn't matter what one looks like.  We're all just doing what we love.

I still might be a tad judgmental of road runners who take it way too serious - just saying!

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

DigDug2

Not sure if I'm going to get out today with Blizzard of 2013 coming through CT.

QOTD:  Like boyjame, I tend to be judgmental of runners with lots of gear, either because it's expensive or excessive.  I don't think it's jealousy for me, though, just a bias for simplicity of running.

The pooch and I had a soaking wet 5 mile trail run.  It was 35 F and pouring rain.  I guess I am a little weird, but I enjoy these wet runs.  Marley seems to as well, but she was anxious to get back to the car once we were within a half mile of it on the way back.

QOTD: Not really but I do chuckle a little at some of their equipment choices.  I find the folks schlepping a ton of gear on a short run just a little humorous.  I think I am mostly just amused that some of them carry as much as I do for a overnight backpacking trip.  When I see someone out for a 3 mile run with a fuel belt, backpack, and trekking poles it does crack me up.  Also I am laughing at myself for being pretty extreme the other way.  So mostly I just find human nature funny.

If you mean judgmental of slow runners or fat runners...  No I admire their pluck.  Lots of folks probably consider me slow and fat, so I'd be pretty hypocritical if I judged the runners that are slower and/or fatter than me.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

Occasional Runner

6 Miles and a core workout this morning. 23 on tap for tomorrow. It's really nice to be home for a while.

QOTD: Yeah, I judge runner's instantly before a race. I make assumptions about their abilities based on how fit they look and how they're dressed. For instance, if I'm running a trail HM and I see somebody wearing a hydration pack and Vibrams, I make sure to line up in front of them.

Wandering Wally

60 minutes on the XC ski machine last night to avoid having to play dodge 'em with the snow plows.  I'll get back out there tonight.

QOTD - I suppose being a bit judgmental is unavoidable just because as humans we tend to do that.  I try to remember where I came from not that long ago and not be judgmental.  Though last summer it was pretty hilarious to see the lady out walking the same path I was running almost every evening.  She was trucking down the path with a huge Coke in hand (think bucket size), puffing on a cigarette and chattering away on her cell phone.  At least she was getting out there and moving around.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

Sandy-2

SRD.  I'm on day 5 of my non-running plan.  I'm just trying to get the tendonitis healed up so I can start piling on the miles soon.  It feels great by the way, I'm just trying to make sure.  I don't know how much longer I'm going to be able to hold out though.

qotd: I try not to judge.  I do try to go out of my way to say "hi" to runners I see who are obviously struggling out there. But I do admit to letting out a little snicker now and then when I see lots of unnecessary gear since I'm such a minimalist. (Edit to clarify; I'm a minimalist as far as carrying junk is concerned. I do most of my runs with one handheld and some gels, or I dress lighter than most around me.  I do like my cushy supportive shoes.)

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

AT-runner

Tim

SRD for me today.  Long run tomorrow.

Jamie - I like to look at the stacked runners too Smile

DD2- good luck with the storm.  I love running in the snow.

TT - we need a picture of Marley the wonder dog

Lace - Home sweet home.  Enjoy.

mjsmith - I should dig out my old ski machine.  I used to love doing XT days on it.

Sandy - hope the healing goes well.

QOTD: I try not to judge, but sometimes I just can't help myself.  I'm sure I get judged.  I'm 6' tall and almost 200 lbs and look more like a football player than a runner.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Daydreamer1

Had my longest run of the year yesterday, a little over 11 miles, but all on the road. At least there were three fairly hard hills involved. I'm hoping to be able to run over to the shop to pick up my son's car a little later today. That should give me a little over 5 for today.

QOTD: When I see someone in minimalistic shoes I tend to view them as someone who just follows fads and won't be running very long. I also view them as most likely being arrogant. I know that's not always fair, but I tend to like, and need, more supportive shoes and get tired of those who preach that I must switch to minimalistic. All that being said I have crossed paths with people who wear minimalistic shoes but are very open to admitting the drawbacks, dangers and benefits of them.

It is always easy to be judgemental of the heavy ones until I remember that at one time I could barely walk up a 7% grade that was 2 tenth of a mile long with out getting dizzy. That was when I decided that driving truck, while very lucrative, was not very healthy.

Irish Luck

SRD for me today. Planning to get some miles in tomorrow with a few inches of snow on the ground. The Philadelphia area forecast keeps changing... 

QOTD: Yes. Of course I judge. I'm human. Big grin I don't judge based on size/stature b/c I know my husband and I don't fit the "typical" runners' builds (he's 6', 200lbs and a former right guard; my thighs are made for hill climbing--and we both used to be fat in college--he is 100lbs less, I'm 40 lbs less), but I have won my age group in several events. I usually judge based on the "newness" of gear that people are wearing or if folks are very bundled up!

Out on the trail/course/mid-race, I don't judge...if someone passes me, I regularly say, "go get 'em! Let me know where the rock-free steps are!"

BT survivor since 2003. Trail runner since 2009.

I think brain surgery stimulated my running nerve and made me into a trail runner. I'm grateful for both.

TT - we need a picture of Marley the wonder dog

They aren't new ones, but here are a few from last year:

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I'm going to try and get out for a run today, but I'm in the 12-24" area so we'll see.

QOTD: I used to think that you could judge a runner by how they look, but I always am surprised at the finish line.  Big people beat skinny people, guys in jean shorts beat guys decked out in the latest gear.  As far as overweight people, I'm not sure how I was before I started running but now I'm a cheerleader...it takes guts for sure.

I'm not surprised by the minimalist runner judgements.  I exclusively wear 5-fingers  for road running and I would wear them on a trail that I knew to be non-technical.  I'm a little self-consious about wearing them to races, so I always wear my most beat up pair...I wouldn't want to be spotted in brand new Vibrams.  Up until this summer I carried a 22 oz carry bottle on every run, including 5k races.  I guess my point is, yeah I'm that guy, and I know that theres some judgements that go along with it, but I think all that stuff goes out the window when the race starts.

**Ask me about streaking**

AT-runner

Tim

TT - thanks for the pictures.  Love the first one - pure dog joy.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Ultra Cowboy

Last night I doubled up.  With traffic, it took me an hour to get to my speed work with the training group, (Doing hill sprints).  Said to myself "Self, I'll be Damned if I'm gonna spend that much time on the road for 30 minutes of running."

So I drove over to one of the park Trailheads and ran 6 trail miles in the dark with a couple of friends from the early morning trail marking group we call "Headlampers" .  We went up a pretty technical trail called ROUGH GO and I was real happy that I kept a steady pace the whole way.  I ran stretches that I power walk usually.  Very happy with how I felt during and after my run...

I'm one of those guys people judge.  I get told ALL the time "You don't LOOK like a runner!"  That is fine with me.  I love exceeding peoples expectations.

WYBMADIITY

Save

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

we're still in the big thaw and I have a short window in the morning when it's still frozen- so got up early and got in 6 miles w/ my DW

qotd:  I'm too new to running to judgemental, maybe in a couple years Big grin

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Birdwell

Morning folks! I decided to take a rest day. My knee is a little sore, and I don't want to push things.

QOTD: I judge other runners mainly on awful weather days where I'm the only one out there. I tend to think they're a bunch of wusses for not running in the snow, wind, rain etc.

i think other runners judge me, mainly thinking I'm crazy for running in all sorts of weather, and I always get funny looks when I get off the trail I run, and hit the multi use path. It seems not many people realize you don't have to run on the paved trail.

edit: I'm also in the non-typical looking runner category at 6'3" and over 200 (for now)