Trailer Trash

Rocky Report 2014 (Read 44 times)

LB2

Rocky Report 2014

We got to Texas with high hopes that my brother would be able to finish the race this year. He dropped with AT issues at mile 75 or 76 last year. He was doing good enough to finish under 30 hours last year, but it was going to be tight. He wasted a lot of time. This year, we worked out a more structured plan for aid stations. I volunteered at the S/F aid station again this year, and I would take up pacing duties at mile 60.

Loop 1: He came in around 4:17. I had told him I would like to see him try to keep things close to 4:30 on the first loop. He was 13 minutes better and feeling good. I think a 12:51 pace is just fine for the first loop. A faster pace is only better if you can hold it.

Loop 2: He came in a little under 5 hours. He was out of the aid station by 3:15 PM with 40 miles in a little over 9 hours. I was very pleased. He was still looking great, feeling strong.

Loop 3: I told him I would like to see him when we were planning these loops out that I would like to see him in the aid station no later than 9:30. But I was hoping for 9. He showed up at 8:42. Hmmmm. Nice. He mentioned he had some blistering issues but was otherwise okay. He had run the 60 miles in 14:42, which I was pleased with. And he only had some blistering issues.

Loop 4: I asked him if he needed to get them looked at. He said he had a good thing going and didn’t want to stop. I should have insisted. We started walking down the trail, and I asked him if he wanted to run. No. I asked a little later. No, not yet. I finally insisted, and we ran a little ways down the trail, slowly. I told him that we had time to power walk the last 40 miles if he could keep a decent pace. So, we started walking hard. We got into the Damnation A/S, and I made sure he had what he needed. I was visiting briefly with Sandy and realized Nathan was headed down the trail. I ran to catch up and we continued onward. By the time we reached the turnaround at what I call the low end of the damnation loop, I could tell he was slowing, but I wasn’t even close to being ready to throw in the towel. We had tons of time to do a 50K. As we moved back toward damnation aid station, people started passing us at a regular rate. I have been passed, and I have done lots of passing. Even though I don’t consider myself a competitive racer, I like passing; I do not like getting passed. Getting passed is demoralizing; Passing is encouraging. Finally, I suggested that we make it back to damnation and see if someone could work on his feet. I should have done this myself right there on the trail, but I didn’t have the supplies to do it. I asked folks at damnation if anyone could help out. They worked on his feet, and I had high hopes that things were about to turn around.

After about 10 or 15 minutes of foot work and me pouring the fluids and calories into him, he was all taped up, fueled up, and ready to go. We began the long trek to what I think is the worst part of the race, the jeep road. This thing is only about 3 miles or so, but it seems longer than the 10K loop after damnation. We hadn’t gone far before he started doing what I call the Thorazine Shuffle, looking like a geriatric patient headed to play bingo at the nursing home. The blisters were no better, and now he had some chaffing issues despite wearing 2n1 shorts.

He decided to drop after lying on the side of the trail for 20 minutes. During this time of rest, he decided that running might not be the hobby he should have. He was mad that he "can’t seem to get this 100 mile thing finished." I told him that many people run several attempts before completing one. I told him that even if he gave up on running 100 miles, there is no reason to stop running. You don’t have to run 100 miles to be a runner. You don’t have to run a race of any distance to be a runner. You don’t have to enter a race, just run. But most importantly, you don't have to think about that now. If he wanted to stay there until the end of the race, i would have stayed with him, but I encouraged him to get up and go somewhere, anywhere but here.

Instead of continuing on to the Park Road A/S, we hung a left and headed back to the Nature Center A/S. We came across another runner who had the same idea. She was from Colorado, and I don’t know her name. I told her she needed to head on up the trail to the Nature Center because we were going to be awhile. And this is where the story gets interesting:

I found a “shortcut” to the aid station that actually led to a campground that I didn’t know existed. When I crested the hill, Nathan had collapsed at the bottom of the hill. He just laid there, groaning. I made sure he was okay, and I went up to what I thought was the aid station, which was actually a set of string lights just like the ones they had at Nature Center A/S. Suddenly, and I do mean suddenly, the wind shifted and the temperature plummeted, followed by rain. The plan was for me to run from the Nature Center to the jeep and come back to pick him up. I had no idea where this place was, though. So, I told him that our best bet was to get back on the trail and go to the Nature Center. He said he could not move; his legs had basically seized up. So, plan B was to put him in the campground bathroom, and I would just run back up to Nature Center on the trail, run back to the jeep and come back and get him. I wasn’t going to leave him in the cold rain after having run all day, for obvious reasons.

But then, I saw a vehicle. And I heard a lady screaming, “Frank!!! Frank!!!” Naturally, I jogged over. She looked towards me and yelled, “Frank!?!”

“No. What is going on?” I said, introducing myself.

She said, “I have two runners I am looking for who dropped and came out an alternate trail into a camping area. I am looking for them.”

I explained my situation and asked if she could point me to the main road. She said that she had no idea where it was. They were lost, too. Hmmm. “Lost, too? I am not lost”, I thought, laughing at myself inside. I just don’t know where I am… Okay, maybe I was lost. But I didn’t “feel” lost. I was just confused. I am very serious about being a good land navigator, and I wasn’t worried about not finding my way. I just didn't want to have to "find my way". And, I really didn’t want to be the source of additional rules for a race… “We had some idiots who…” Anyway, about that time, we both saw two headlamps headed our way. “Frank!?!” Yes, this was Frank.

They offered us a ride back to the S/F. I grabbed up Nathan, and told him he had to walk to the car, which he did, very slowly. I was stuffed in the back of the Ford Explorer, amongst what looked like enough gear to summit Everest, which is exactly what our vehicle looked like. Nathan, the lady yelling for Frank, and another lady got in the back seat while Frank rode shotgun and his pacer drove. I am sometimes bad with names, but the lady who was yelling for Frank started asking questions like: “Well, is this the fun part of the 100 mile race?” “Has everyone enjoyed themselves?” She had quite a time, and I was laughing pretty hard back there with the gear. It was all in good fun, and it was one of the funniest events I can remember in a long time. These were some great people, and I am glad they were there to pick us up.

Nathan is doing well. He is already hooked up for a 50 mile race on March 22nd. He had a great 60 mile training run, and some additional time on his feet, mileage after 72 is questionable and none of it was good. I’ll count it as 7 hours on my feet. He’ll be signed up for another 100 before we know it. Thanks for reading.

LB2

Thank you for the report LB2!  And I'm such a dork -- I JUST put 2 and 2 together to realize Nathan's your brother (he had friended me after Cajun Coyote).  I catch on quick, huh?  At any rate, I'm confident he'll get a buckle at some point.

Occasional Runner

I feel so bad for Nathan. I was glued to my computer watching his race unfold and I really thought he had it. You have no idea how bummed I am.

Thanks for taking the time to share the story with us. I'm looking forward to seeing you both back in Louisiana when we make a mess of the CC course.

AT-runner

Tim

Sorry for Nathan, but hope he doesn't give up on his quest.  Hope he heals quickly.

Like the "Thorazine shuffle".  I always think of it as the "zombie apocalypse".

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

LB2

Betsy: It is my fault that you didn't make the connection that we were brothers. When I saw ya'll at Cajun Coyote I said, "Betsy, Matt, this is my brother Nathan." I guess that was a curve ball you were not expecting. LOL. Actually, I don't remember if I said that at all, but it sounds good.

Kelly: He finished Cajun feeling "okay" with a goal of 15:30. He got in there around 15:23 and was just fine. So, I was real happy when he came in off the third loop at 14:42 at Rocky. I figured we could do under 27. I should have forced him to get his feet looked at and drain those blisters before we went out on the 4th loop. He is okay, though. He should do pretty well next month at the Solstice 50 Miler in Clear Springs. I wish I could do that race, but I don't plan on missing the opening day of turkey season unless someone close dies.

AT: My wife's grandmother was an elderly widow. From time to time, people would try to set her up with a date. And I heard her talking about one man that she had no interest in dating because "that old thing does the Thorazine Shuffle". So, I stole that from her- God rest her soul. I just thought it was funny description of what happened at the end.

LB2

Sandy-2

I was really bummed when I got your text in the middle of the night that Nathan was dropping.  He was doing great on those first three loops, I asked him if he needed anything each time thru DamNation, he was just chugging along.  Good drinking/fueling.

You guys even looked good outbound on the 4th loop (mile 66), but then when you got back after the DN loop....   hmmmmmmm, things can change quickly.   Too bad the blister treatment didn't help much.

I talked to Robert last night, he said he just felt "off" all day and when he started getting really sick at the end of the 3rd loop he also called it quits and didn't head out on the 4th loop.

(FYI, Robert is a friend of mine who was about 5 to 10 minutes ahead of Nathan all day long and LB2 was taking care of him at the S/F while I was taking care of him and Nathan at DamNation.  Kind of a ping-pong match I guess.)

I'm sure Nathan will do great at the 50 miler.

Nice seeing you guys again.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

Betsy: It is my fault that you didn't make the connection that we were brothers. When I saw ya'll at Cajun Coyote I said, "Betsy, Matt, this is my brother Nathan." I guess that was a curve ball you were not expecting. LOL. Actually, I don't remember if I said that at all, but it sounds good.

SHUT IT! 

It was a few days after CC that he friended me; my brain obviously was still thawing out (and continues to do so).  Either that or it's my advancing age.

LB2

(FYI, Robert is a friend of mine who was about 5 to 10 minutes ahead of Nathan all day long and LB2 was taking care of him at the S/F while I was taking care of him and Nathan at DamNation.  Kind of a ping-pong match I guess.)

I'm sure Nathan will do great at the 50 miler.

Nice seeing you guys again.

Wait a minute... The two guys we were taking such good care of DNF'd. Hmmm. But seriously, things can change fast. On the way back to Damnation, I knew we were in trouble, but I truly felt like we could work it out. Either way, it was an epic adventure. He is pretty excited about the 50 miler.

LB2

LB2

Haha @ Betsy. I am impressed by everyone who was out in that stuff late at Cajun Coyote. That was an absolute mess.

LB2