Trailer Trash

Cold Front Fridailies (Read 16 times)

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Interesting to hear how the northeast is (was) still basking in the heat/humidity, while others down south are enjoying cooler weather.  Well, this morning after the remnants of Hurricane Michael has passed, it's nice and chill here.  Ground is still waterlogged, but hope to get some crisp miles in after work.

Sue - Sorry to disappoint.  I'm sure I'll make it up to you sometime in the future.... shouldn't be too long.  Hehe.

Gatsby - Get well soon!

Sandy - Very cool about that project in Seoul.  Glad you were able to get some nice miles there.  I'd love to go see it some day.

QOTD:  Do you have any allergic reactions?

I don't get hit with the springtime allergies that many others suffer (thankfully), but I'm very prone to poison ivy (and other plant-based variants). All summer, I did a good job of avoiding that crap on trail.  But after trying to clean myself with my bloody nose incident the other day, I must have picked up some leaves that had some and wiped it on my face.  Now the left side of my face and neck is all rashed and swollen.   I'll probably get some Benadryl cream to see if that helps.  Hope I don't have to get a shot in the ass, which I've had to do before... and it makes the ass hurt more than running a marathon.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

AT-runner

Tim

Feels great outside. Wow. what a change. Usually ans SRD, but brought stuff for a quick run at lunch. I won't even mimd running on the road with nice fall temperatures.

GV - hope you feel better soon.

Warden - is that crud out of your house now?

Bert - As I saw Sandy's post, I thought you should tag along on his next trip.

QOTD:  Seasonal spring allergies, cats, and poison ivy are the bad ones. Did shots for years and that helped but did not eliminate the seasonal stuff completely.  Not sure if yellow jackets were an allergic reaction, or just a reaction to the number of stings I had. Doc mildly suggested I have an epipen, but I think I'll just make sure I have benadryl with me in my pack now from now on.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

runtraildc

Got in a fast 3.5 yesterday at peak humidity and temps, but managed to find a window with no rain. And I met the nicest dog on the trail, which always is a bonus. Temps didn't drop until sometime in the middle of the night, but this shift sure is nice! Then I managed some yoga before bedtime, which was much needed.

qotd: Nope, no allergies. Not even that sensitive to poison ivy, which is good since there is a lot here and I'm also a gardener.

Bert- have you tried Ivarest? When we all came down with poison oak on a CA family trip, that worked wonders. Much better than Caladryl/benadryl ointment, IMO. Though it is not transparent, so facial use will be obvious, but heck, the weekend is almost here.

XtremeTaper

Took a day off from running last night even though the weather wasn't too bad here. Rain had mostly stopped, but was still very humid. Needed a day off anyways. Cold front blew through last night now we have steady cool fall breezes from the NW and sunshine. Will get some miles in with the Lady this evening. Not sure how my body will react to cool weather.

QOTD: No allergies (that I am aware of at least).

In dog beers, I've only had one.

dhuffman63

Trails

Bert..."enjoying" the cool temps is a bit strong for this FL transplant.

Got my 5 in last night.

QOTD: year round allergies and in the last few years I've developed an allergy to shrimp and to peanuts.  Never before I got Graves and I grew up eating PB&J and all the shrimp I could stuff in my mouth.  Having an autoimmune disease does some weird stuff to you.  Funny thing I don't appear to be allergic much to poison ivy or at least I never was before.  I tend to avoid it.

We're getting rain all this weekend and overnight temps starting Sunday are going to be in the 30's.

AT-runner

Tim

Timely to the QOTD:

Just saw a patient who had a beautiful black lab service dog with her. I asked what the dog sensed, and she said latex. She has a terrible latex allergy. This is an allergy that is getting more common (like peanuts), and can be really deadly if you don't know where latex is being used.  The dog did not like my stethoscope so there must be some latex in the tubing. I went and got a cheaper stethoscope and that was fine.

First time I've seen a detection dog in action. My DD#2 wants one for her diabetes to sense when her BS is dropping too low. Anyone have any experience with service dogs?

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Warden - is that crud out of your house now?  

DW is completely over it, I'm about 90% over it- it was a doozy- full three weeks for DW, I'm at a little over two weeks

thanks for asking Smile

got in a snowy 4.5 hill workout with Tiny E yesterday, some of the snow is gone (got into the 40's yesterday), but if you look at the very background of the second pic you can see the Elkhorns are holding plenty- wouldn't be surprised if up high it was nearly two feet

have today off, so after cleaning chores  I'll get Elvis out for a few miles- did get my rifle sighted in this morning, beat the crowd at the range

qotd: thankfully no;DW has mild allergies- nothing bad enough she has went in for them, but every once in awhile she'll so symptoms from something outdoors

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Queen of Nothing

Sue

6.3 this morning with group...must be cooling a bit as fat Jackie was running good to the end.

QOTD:  I have a tendency to have bad reactions on occasions.  Was stung by a bee and my hands and feet itched horribly and my tongue swelled, but then was stung again and nothing.  If a mosquito bites my face good chance my eyes will swell shut.  Picked a flower once and my ears immediately started itching and than my head grew two sizes!  That was painful and last until next day when I got a shot from urgent care.

berto- bummer on poison ivy on face...geezz your falling apart this week.

warden:  I am sorry you are experimenting that already...it looks miserable.  slushy and wet.  yuck!

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Queen of Nothing

Sue

He's married and middle age...no one is looking at him. 

Bert- have you tried Ivarest? When we all came down with poison oak on a CA family trip, that worked wonders. Much better than Caladryl/benadryl ointment, IMO. Though it is not transparent, so facial use will be obvious, but heck, the weekend is almost here.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

No but, their is a young girl who works at our weekly restaurant.  She has a small plastic box attached to her arm.  It records her blood sugar levels and sends a message to her parents with the levels.  Thought that was pretty wild.

First time I've seen a detection dog in action. My DD#2 wants one for her diabetes to sense when her BS is dropping too low. Anyone have any experience with service dogs?

AT-runner

Tim

No but, their is a young girl who works at our weekly restaurant.  She has a small plastic box attached to her arm.  It records her blood sugar levels and sends a message to her parents with the levels.  Thought that was pretty wild.

Yes, she has a CGM (continuous glucose monitor).  It works pretty well (not as accurate as the finger sticks).

She's been diabetic since she was 2, and unfortunately over the years, her ability to tell when she her blood sugar is too low or too high has gone away.  The GGM warn you when you are low, but sometime by that point she's passing out.  We can tell by looking at her face, and her BF has learned the warning signs.  A dog would be a nice piece of mind when she's alone (for her and us).

BTW, Sue  - time to redo your signature line. No 100 miler in there and retirement date should say "When DH get's his shit together."

Queen of Nothing

Sue

All tidy now.  Retirement is really my choice no matter what he has going on.  So here my new date; although I have not signed any papers. 

BTW, Sue  - time to redo your signature line. No 100 miler in there and retirement date should say "When DH get's his shit together."

AT-runner

Tim

All tidy now.  Retirement is really my choice no matter what he has going on.  So here my new date; although I have not signed any papers. 

Did you sign up for Wy'East yet?

Think we might try to make that, just waiting on DD#1 to get back to us with being OK coming out in June.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

No, but I have a FB friend (originally RWOL) who has at least her second service dog. The service dog is trained to detect several different medical conditions and alert her when they occur.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

that should bring you good luck- that's my birthday 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √