Trailer Trash

Laurel Highlands 50K (Read 26 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I'm still in the process of putting together my 2017 racing schedule, but I have registered for the Powderface 21K in Kananaskis, AB in the Canadian Rockies, so it will be hilly trails and higher elevation than I'm used to. As prep for that race, I'm thinking of adding the 50K at Laurel HIghlands. The 50K doesn't look on paper as challenging as Hyner or Elkhorn but I'd appreciate some first hand comments, especially on the vertical climbs and amount of congestion early in the race. Also does it fill early or is it safe to wait a little before committing?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

AT-runner

Tim

Hopefully XT will chime in,as he's done this race a few times.

I've run most of the trail, and it's going to be much easier than Hyner.  The climbs aren't too bad and there's a lot of ridge running once you get up to the top.  Not sure where to 50K goes, but Seven Springs is the highest point, topping out just below 3000'.

edit - just looked at the map and looks like you finish after Seven Springs, so only "big" climb is out of Ohioplye.

From what I've seen, this race fills up quickly.  Actually the 70.5 sold out already, so the 50k will fill fast.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

That sounds encouraging but I'm not quite ready to plop down $100+ while I'm still undecided about my overall schedule and how many destination races I may run.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

LB2

That sounds encouraging but I'm not quite ready to plop down $100+ while I'm still undecided about my overall schedule and how many destination races I may run.

100+ for a 50K is kind of pricey for a 50K in my opinion. I think 65 is about the going rate around here: LA, MS, AL.

LB2

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

100+ for a 50K is kind of pricey for a 50K in my opinion. I think 65 is about the going rate around here: LA, MS, AL.

D3 is only $50 for 50K and Running With the Devil 12-hr in NJ is $70 and the week after Laurel Highlands. RWD is a real challenge with 1100' of climb followed by 1100' of descent for each 3-mile loop.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

XtremeTaper

Hey George... my experiences with Laurel Highlands is the 70.5 mile course, but that means I know the 50k course pretty well too. I've ran the 25k at Hyner so can tell you for a fact mile per mile Laurel Highlands is not as difficult as Hyner, though the first 8 miles you may call me a liar if you choose to run the race. Most of the climbing is there, 3 substantial climbs, with the last one being about 1,200 feet to the Laurel Summit.

From that point you have a rolling course, very runnable in fact, with some hills but less frequent and probably 300-400 foot max in a few places. I think the one thing you need to consider is the cutoff at the first check point (18+ miles). Not sure what it is for the 50k, but I've run that section in about 4 hours plus or minus a few minutes. I think if you can make that cutoff you should have no trouble finishing the race as the biggest hills are over with, and you have a fairly flat run to Seven Springs followed by some shorter but not so steep hills toward the 50k finish.

As for crowding at the start, the start for the 50k is across the river and not in the state park like the 70 mile race. I do believe there is still at least a 1/4 mile of gravel road to the trail head. The first mile or two the trail is fairly flat and wide and then the first climb begins. I've never had a congestion issue in the 70 miler, but that has more distance on the road to the trailhead to spread out the pack.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

XT - Thanks. When I checked back at the website I also noted a relatively small field size limit (110) that will help avoid congestion. At Hyner last year even though it must have been a mile before we turned onto the single track trail, once on the trail it was strictly walking until after the first big climb. Even with the climbs I'm pretty sure I should be able to make the 6-hour cutoff at the 19 mile AS assuming I get back to training on the trails and hills at VF and Ridley Creek.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

XtremeTaper

George... one other thing about Laurel Highlands in case you didn't know. The RD's do not mark the course given that it follows the yellow blazed Laurel Highland's trail. So you follow the blazes, not flags or markers. This makes for a bit of tricky business through the Seven Springs Resort. While there are some blazes there, for the most part it's open ground, meadows, and there are typically flags there on the ground but that is the only place like that on the trail. There is signage obviously for the 50k turnoff.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

XT - Thanks. When I checked back at the website I also noted a relatively small field size limit (110) that will help avoid congestion. At Hyner last year even though it must have been a mile before we turned onto the single track trail, once on the trail it was strictly walking until after the first big climb. Even with the climbs I'm pretty sure I should be able to make the 6-hour cutoff at the 19 mile AS assuming I get back to training on the trails and hills at VF and Ridley Creek.

Hyner is crazy with the amount of people they have.  I am still surprised that the DCNR allow for that many people on the trails at once.  They seem to regulate it a lot for other parts of the state.  Why is Hyner different???

If I ever do Hyner again, I have contemplated going up the day before the race and running the course and then staying overnight to be a volunteer for the actual race  I would enjoy that so much more.

I don't have any first hand knowledge of LH but I say go for it.  I have never heard a negative comment about that race.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Okay, entry form is filled out and check is written. All I have to do is mail it tomorrow.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K