Trailer Trash

Wintry Wednesdailies (Read 47 times)

The pooch and I had a nice 5 miles on slippery slushy trails.

QOTD: Pass

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Good Morning,

Heading out for 9 miles up to the mountain top with my running buddy in a little while.

I had a pretty bad run yesterday, after having enjoyed a new cereal for breakfast the two days before - too much fiber, my insides liquified. While I was walking back grudgingly, I froze into an icycle. Very little cover along the way, the trail right along a golf course, a highway and student residences, and I had run out of TP already, so no way to fix the situation quickly. Dead

But, as I found out today, it was 5 miles I had run, more than I had thought, so I'm ok with it now. The run part was still fun, only what came next wasn't.

So I'm out for revenge today.

TT: Slushy sounds like the good part of the run. Lots of ice still around here, we didn't get any snow from the "snowstorm", so slippery it will be for me today. Microspikes seem to become my standard shoes.

Enjoy the day, everyone!

Run for fun.

Birdwell

Morning folks!

Got in an hour of strength training at the gym this morning.

QOTD: to go along with yesterdays question, and to try and draw out more lurkers, what percentage of your runs are done on trails?

I think some folks may think that you have to only run on trails to post here. Rest assured you do not, this is simply a place for folks who prefer trails over roads.

For me, I do about 30-40% of my overall volume on trails I the winter. In the summer I hope to get that up to 50-60%.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Hi strangers!

I survived my trip to Philly (my first ride on a plane!), another Graston appointment, and a snowstorm.  Planning on 3 miles after work today.  Fingers crossed they are pain free!

QOTD: The last few years, I have totaled it up and I'm running somewhere around 60-70% on trails.  I am lucky to have amazing access to a lot of parks close to my house.

Running is dumb.

AT-runner

Tim

8 inches and still snowing here.  Just did the snow blowing thing and it's a heavy snow.  Had to use the shovel more than I wanted.  No work this am, maybe later if roads get cleared.  My staff was giddy with glee when I texted and said cancel the morning.

Now going to do a little road run.  Not too many cars out yet, and I'm away from major civilization so shouldn't be too bad.

Couch - watch out for that fiber, it can get you.  I have a story about a friend on a golf trip who ate too much fiber at breakfast.  Lets just say he had to make a purchase in the pro shop.

QOTD:  I do most of my runs in the mountains.  60% done on trails, maybe 30% on gravel and dirt logging roads and 10% on paved roads.  Ten years ago I was 80% paved roads and 20% trails and  five years ago I was close to 50/50.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

TT: nice run...way to get out there in the snow this morning

FTYC: stay frosty out there! The snow is coming down hard, should be a nice run

Birdwell:nice gym workout

Mandy: enjoy the run. Bet it feels good to be back out and running

AT: enjoy the fresh snow

I...sadly came into work even though I could have taken liberal leave. Almost everyone is my office is out today. Oh well...going to skip out early and hit the trails for an easy 6 or 7 later.

qotd: I'm about 50/50. I do my weekend runs on trails and during the week there are portions of my runs that are on trails. Wish it was 100%...something to shoot for  I guess.

Morning Smile

Had a good run this morning, almost 7 miles. Legs apparently just needed a short day yesterday to recover. My ankle is still bugging me. It doesn't hurt while I am running, but gets a little achy afterwards.

qotd: I was at 100% singletrack trails, but I am trying to work in some paved miles which ironically is what has messed up my ankle.

Pinhoti 100: Finished :D

Uh oh... now what?

Did the 3-mile morning loop (half asphalt, half durt)... will try for more this afternoon. March's

seemingly unending series of minor inconveniences are interfering with being out consistently.

TT: We did not miss slipping and a sliding this year.

Couch: Your rationalization of distance over inconvenience is applauded. I am totally anal

about checking the TP supply in the fanny pack. Now that I think about it--the column was

about that a couple of months ago--suggestive reading?

Birdwell: Do you use the gym only for strength, or flexibility too? I like being able to isolate

muscle groups with light weights to help with flexibility.

Ms. Madison: Hope you are on the mend. You look much faster in the picture.

Good day to all--spring is two weeks away, Daylight Saving Time is this Sunday.  I am tempted

to do a camera walk to capture some of the budding and blooming that is taking place. We

already have eagles on nests in three places. Uh oh... sneaker inners...while typing 

AT-.. "major civilization" -- someone stopped us yesterday to ask why no cell reception and

then it seemed like we were to blame .. shoveling is good cross training

Tmotmo44... enjoy the quiet office, get lots of stuff done... oh, never mind, you're posting here

while at work... bad bad bad

lynde: Yay for good recovery

QOTD: I am on trails 95 percent of the time, but I live in a place where dirt is easily available.

I like having pavement available for pedaling or pretend form work runs.  I just did the

late-winter tune-up, pump-up, spin the wheels thing this past weekend.

AT-runner

Tim

I am totally anal about checking the TP supply in the fanny pack. 

Double pun intended, no doubt Smile

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Birdwell

Birdwell: Do you use the gym only for strength, or flexibility too? I like being able to isolate

muscle groups with light weights to help with flexibility.

at the gym, they have these machines called the "Sprint" circuit. It's 12 machines that work most of the major muscle groups. I generally use a pretty low weight, high rep approach. I think it's helping with strength and flexibility.  Next month I may start to focus workouts on specific muscle group, but for now, I like the whole body approach I think I'm getting.

QOTD: Pretty much 100%

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

Low_O2

Morning all!

I got in a nice faster than normal 5 miler across the desert with the dog yesterday afternoon. The weather was perfect, I was wishing it was a higher mileage day! Hoping to get in 8ish up and down the mountain tonight, but that will depend on if the little one is cooperating for mama.

QOTD: Since I'm a numbers guy (and former lurker), I checked my stats and found last year was 12% road/ 88% trail. So far this year I am at 8% road/ 92% trail.

Runinaround

5 tough miles last night and some upper body strength training. My body has been feeling really weak and run down this week and I just cant pin point why. Despite that Im gonna attempt 8 miles for my lunch break today, hopefully todays run will feel better.

QOTD: It depends on the time of the year and if im training for a trail or road race, but usually im about 50/50 trail to road/dreadmill ratio. Now that the sun is starting to stay up later I hope to get in more trail runs and increase the ratio to 70/30.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Hi all. Yesterday's run started out great, but ended with me walking a mile home.  I'm self diagnosing myself with peroneal tendonitis.  I seem to be prone to tendonitis.  Looks like another 1-2 weeks off.  I was just starting to feel really strong too (probably why I overdid it)

QOTD: I'm around 25% trails.  I think I'll be closer to 50/50 when I get back.

**Ask me about streaking**

XtremeTaper

Yesterday's double was sort of a train wreck in terms of pace/feel but I did it anyway. The day was gorgeous. Sunny and no wind, temps in the mid 40's. Evening was great too. More cars at the trail-head than normal. People felt it was spring I think. Today it's awfully windy. We are supposed to get snow (3-12", some forecast!), but so far nothing. Plans are a day off from running, strength training and stretching.

QOTD: I count the rail trail as a trail since it's unpaved and well it is a trail afterall. I do road runs from time as they are convenient but mostly trails. Last few weeks the percentage has been 70-100% trails/week. 

In dog beers, I've only had one.