Trailer Trash

Maintain Monday (Read 22 times)

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I am back from vacation.  The beach was great, the weather cooperated.  The kids were crazy (as usual).  Got in some nice running and biking.  Had a scare on Thursday - DW and DS2 getting caught in some sort of rip current and had a hard time getting into shore.  We were at a more remote section of the beach - not many people and certainly no lifeguards.  I was able to help them out but boy was it scary for a few minutes.  I also got a call from my supervisor while on vacation.  This only ever means one thing.  A co-worker had died - committed suicide actually.  Heartbreaking.  Unfathomable.

On a bit of a whim, I signed up for a race this Saturday (On the Rocks trail Run) and doing 21ish mile option.  I hope to just get through it.  

QOTD: Pass

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

AT-runner

Tim

SRD today.  Was over 50 miles last week (52) for first time in a while.

I got into Mt Hood 50 miler. Not going, but funny how they made it down to 135 on the Wait List.  If I had any idea a few weeks ago, we would have gone.

Jamie - WOW. Swim parallel to shore to get free (actually parallel to the rip which is almost always moving away from shore).  I was a Lifeguard, and rips can really shake people up. I've seen them often North of the main swimming area on Assateague. After you know what to look for, you can see the color change in the water.

QOTD:  What's streaming lately?  We're half way through Peaky Blinders, Pretty good.  We have Devon'e movie, All The Wild Horses, queued up on our NF's account, so we'll probably watch that this week.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

the heat wave continues here-looks like a full week with maybe some relief on the weekend; just two weeks ago we were in a long stretch of 60’s and 70’s with some timely moisture- fire danger was almost nonexistent, two weeks of hot and dry and things are changing quickly (for the worse)

will strength train this evening, will have to set my alarm tonight for 4-ish if I want to hit the trails

qotd: loved Peeky Blinders!  we just finished Staircase, was very good (true crime), just started the Forest- French series that starts with a missing teen- looks good

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

NorthernHarrier

Just finished up a 90 minute session mountain biking out at the venue where we might be putting on a trail race. After talking and several emails with the operator of the system the communication went silent, come to find out today that he was involved in a brutal car vs road bike accident  and is out of commission for quite some time yet. Looks like next year for the trail race. Also one of the big reasons I hardly road bike these days.

QOTD--not watching anything these days. When does football season start?

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Dr Jamie - Glad to hear they're safe, but those rip tides can be really scary!  And very sorry to hear about your coworker.  Tragic.  Glad to hear you signed up for a race.  That course has nice elevation for that part of PA.

AT - Nice week!  Sucks about Mt Hood.  Crazy you can come all the way up from 135 on the wait list.  Think you'll sign up for it next year?

Warden - Thanks for the recommendation on  The Forest... I'll have to check that out.

NH - I used to road bike when I was a late teen.  I can't even imagine myself doing that anymore because of the motorists.  Hope they recover well.  Scary!

Will try to get 4 on trail tonight.  The break in the weather didn't last very long.  Summer is back.

QOTD - Watched over half of All The Wild Horses with DW last night.  Will watch the rest tonight.  Won't say anything to spoil it.... but just WOW!  And Sandy - your daughter is a true competitor - I can see why they named her Tenja.

Also, it will take about a month to watch all the recorded hours of the Tour de France, but I love the scenery.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

AT-runner

Tim

For some reason, this made me think of a few people on this forum. 

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Queen of Nothing

Sue

No run taper week for me which just means  not much change in my running routine.

QOTD:  Still watching Shameless on video from the library.  What is this streaming you talk about?  My friend watch Devon's movie without me.  She has it on her phone so maybe I will check it out during lunch.  She said most scenes with Devon she was puking. 

Jaime:  WOW...glad your wife and son made it out OK and bummer on the co-worker.  Sorry bummer isn't the right word.  Just plain sad. 

AT:  Your a rich doctor!!  Book the flight and show Up!!  on second thought you aren't really trained for that right now.   send the wife!

HH:  I hate riding on the roads!!  Car always wins...

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Don't get all mushy on us AT!    but good advice.

For some reason, this made me think of a few people on this forum. 

Sandy-2

Supposed to be a SRD, but since I took it easy yesterday I’m planning on running with my DS after work today.  Probably do 4 or 5 mi if there is a break in the thunderstorms. My DD may also show up, she has been trying out her kit for her long ride and needs some hydropak adjustment so she may come with us as well.

DW and I bought bikes yesterday. She got a “Specialized” kind of comfort-hybrid style and I got a “Trek” MTB, nothing too aggressive just for hacking around (I’ll be like all those people you see driving around town in Jeeps).

Jamie – scary about the rip tide, but agree with AT, swim parallel to the shore for a bit and then it’s easier to get to the beach.  Sorry about your co-worker. GL on Saturday.

AT – that is amazing that you got in after being 135 on the WL. Agree; (a) why signup if you’re not going to do it, and (b) if you signed up and decide not to do it, drop early so the WL folks can have a little notice.

mt – hope things cool off up there, don’t need to add the CO and CA fires.

NH – Sheesh that sucks.  Typical though, yesterday I rode my new bike home from the store (abt 7 mi) since we could only fit one in the car.  I hadn’t gone a quarter mile before a guy in a big pickup truck took a right turn just in front of me, had to hit the breaks to keep from crashing into the side of the truck. But actually I had sort of anticipated it so I wasn’t surprised. Ass hole.

Bert-o – Sorry that the “summer in the city” is back.  All I can say is, Yup!!

AT (again) – on the Sheppard pic, see above regarding the guy in the pickup.

QoN - TAPER TAPER TAPER!!! Yeah there is the nice one by the front of the truck with the sun in the background - quite artistic.

QOTD:  We are watching “The Killing”, it’s really good – lots of twists and turns.  We have to do a lot of binge watching because it’s going to disappear soon.  Of course we watched “All the Wild Horses” the other day…

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

AT et al. - yes this rip tide or whatever it was really scared us.  There was a moment I thought that one or more of us wasn't making it out of the water.  I remembered, after the fact, of swimming sideways out of the riptide.  I will be sure to educate my kids on this.  They are all decent swimmers but sometimes are probably too confident.  DW and DS2 (age 11) went pretty far out from the beach which isn't a big deal in lower tides.  This was after a low tide so no different than other times.  AT - we were actually a mile out from the public beach.  We biked out the 3 mile loop and hit the beach where only bikers and walkers can access it.  There were only 5-6 other people down there and all were spread out.  DW had been waving for me to come out but I thought she was just telling me to come out because the waves were good out that way.  I ignored her for a few minutes until DS1 said they were in trouble.  Little did I know, and could not hear her, she realized that they kept being pulled further out.  Thankfully I was able to get DS2 in far enough that he could manage the rest on his own but DW was dead tired and I thought she was going to be harder to get in.  It wasn't a good feeling to say the least.  Scary stuff.  But didn't scare DS2 enough as he stayed in the water for the next 2 hours - shallow waters of course!

QOTD: I will be looking for the documentary featuring Devon now that I know it's on NF.  I am making my way through the second season of Shooter.  The Killing was good but it amazed me how it was ALWAYS raining.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

LB2

Ran a couple of fast ones (quick ones, not exactly fast) this morning. Seven days in a row; I am starting to feel like a runner again, but my hip is sort of hurting. But I don't think it is anything major.

QOTD: I have been on a reading kick again. Elmer Kelton's "The Way of the Coyote" is what I am about to finish up. It is a pretty short novel, but I found it very enjoyable. But, I love the landscapes he describes and the characters he builds. I'll start E. E. Halleran's, "Indian Fighter" tomorrow or maybe tonight. These are not new works of fiction. I pick them up at the local library.

LB2

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Hot , hot - no run, pool instead. But I ran 3.9 miles yesterday in the heat and enjoyed it.

Jamie: glad you all got out of the riptide. Swimming parallel to the beach will make it easier to get back in again, or, if you are a good swimmer who can stay afloat for about 40 minutes, letting the current carry you out, there’s a good chance it will carry you back in as well within around 40 minutes, as most riptides are small scale circular currents.

Sorry for your coworker, that is very sad.

AT: Just try the Mt. Hood? See how far you get?

Warden: Looks like you live in a binary climate: either freaking cold with lots of snow, or unbearably hot. Must like that.

Harrier: just saw on the news that in Europe they are considering equipping big trucks with a mandatory camera system to detect bicyclists or pedestrians beside them, so they don’t run them over when turning. Won’t help with direct crashes, or against idiots, but can probably save many lives.

Berto: have a good nice run!

Queen: No taper? What happened?? You’re alright?

Sandy: Have fun with the bikes, and running with the “kids”!

LB: 7 days, that sounds like a streak in my books. Keep it going!

QOTD: Documentary about the Vietnam war on NF. I never knew the events and politics behind it. Tough stuff.

Will watch what you guys are watching next, sounds good.

BTW, saw “The Shape Of Water” on the plane and was totally disappointed. Predictable, boring, and a bad remake of “Pan’s Labyrinth”, only way worse. Anyone liked this one, maybe I missed something?

Run for fun.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I'm alright it was a joke...as in you have to train first  to taper. Now I sound like the cliché we post before a race.  I didn't train hard, I am using it as a training run, I'm just there for the scenery and it's an out and back so if I only run 25 I will be happy. 

That was the stupidest movie!  When they were doing the dance scene I finally thought "Oh a get it, it's a comedy just not that funny"

Queen: No taper? What happened?? You’re alright?

BTW, saw “The Shape Of Water” on the plane and was totally disappointed. Predictable, boring, and a bad remake of “Pan’s Labyrinth”, only way worse. Anyone liked this one, maybe I missed something?

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

That was the stupidest movie!  When they were doing the dance scene I finally thought "Oh a get it, it's a comedy just not that funny"

I guess I must have missed the comedy factor, too. 

Is this really the movie that got so many awards?

Run for fun.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Just found this article about the film, and thought it would turn around my opinion because there was really something I had missed:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2018/03/05/theres-something-important-you-probably-missed-in-the-shape-of-water/#261c8fe41aa7

Then I read it and was even more disappointed. That guy is just stating the obvious 

And no, I had not missed that point, any monkey would have understood it. And I still don't like the movie.

Does this guy really think people are this stupid, or does he think he is that smart? Now I feel like I am staring into the abyss with a thousand eyes of fans of that movie staring up at me...

Run for fun.