Trailer Trash

My trail run report...thingy.... (Read 42 times)

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Short Version:  22 miles in the Tuscarora Forest/Big Spring Picnic Area in Perry County, PA.  Total time on feet 5:50.  Nearly 5000 feet of climbing - mostly in the first 19 miles!!!. One…tough…run/hike.

(elevation profile that I did NOT see prior to the event)

Longer Version: It has been 21 months since my last race.  I have been working somewhat diligently on getting back into decent running shape while monitoring chronic injuries.  It hasn’t been easy and quite frustrating.  I finally started to feel “ok” in March and April of this this year and started ramping up the mileage.  Slowly but surely I have been able to increase my mileage.  In the back of my mind I have been working towards a fall race or two to give me something to work towards.

Fast forward to the end of July: I saw that a FA event was moved from the normal first Saturday in August to the second Saturday.  Because DW works the first Saturday of each month, it was always difficult to do anything on that day.  The RD moved the event this year to the second Saturday of August.  I have been trying to get up to do one the RDs events for the past few years and my opportunity was finally here.  My plan was to use this as a training run.  It wasn’t really a race anyway.  The RD doesn’t advertise it as a race.  It’s free but there are Aid Stations, a marked course and post run food.  Oh…maybe most important, I knew there was an opportunity to run less than the 50k that the course was. I’m in!

The Conococheague 50k is the brain child of Don Halke who calls himself the cardiac cripple.  He was a long distance runner who had a heart attack a few years back and (maybe triple bypass).  He continues to run and has run a plethora of ultra-races.  His passion seems to be for the trails and other crazy ultra-runners.   A few years back he started a FA event in the Tuscarora Forest area located in the extreme western side of Perry County.

The course started at Big Spring Picnic Area – a remote picnic area nestled in the mountain side of the forest.  Driving through Perry County I was fairly confident I knew where I was going but it was reassuring to see a string of cars that I was sure were all heading to the same place.  After all, how many people could possibly be out driving in Perry County early on a Saturday morning? (For anyone not from this area, Perry County is redneck, farmland, one traffic light in the whole county).  We all pulled into what looked like straight into the woods and parked.  I soon met Don who seemed eager to greet those he knew and meet those he did not.  His passion was evident.

Don asks for no entry fee payment.  He only asks for an item to stock the Aid Stations and your ability to endure the mountains.  It appeared that about 40 or so had signed up but only 23 or less had shown up.  He seemed to be a bit disappointed.  I think he really enjoys the fellowship of runners and when some did not come it took away from that a bit.  After a brief pre “run” debriefing about rattlesnakes, bear, and other wildlife we were off.  He said the course was well marked but I had the course description just in case.

We headed down the trail on a rocky but flat trail away from the pavilion which would be the start/finish and also an Aid Station for the day.  The first 3 miles or so were uneventful.  I went out with a group of nine guys who were chugging along pretty well.  Somehow the group behind me was not in sight.  Lost already or was I going out with the fast guys? After a bit, we hit a turn and onto a gravel road.  The nine guys were pretty much took off at that point.  I knew they were the faster type anyway and had no desire to keep up with them.

The next few miles became a blur.  Lots of climbing but mostly on gravel roads.  The pitch was enough that running was not comfortable and not being familiar with the course I did not want to waste all of my energy.  So I walked….and walked.  I felt like it was an eternity.  We finally hit a downhill section…also on gravel road.  It was nice and I bombed down the hill.  It was about a mile and I swear I ran a 7-minute mile here.  The RD and one of his volunteers had pulled up near the bottom snapping pictures.  I told him it was a beautiful course so far.  The volunteer nicely said “we’ll see if you’re still saying that later on in the day”.  What was that supposed to mean?

I ran on and we turned off the gravel road and through a nice area and hit the first Aid Station at 6.5 miles.  I think I came in at 1:20 or so.  Not bad considering the long walk uphill.  Little did I know what was ahead.  We made our way through a campground area and hit another gravel road.  Another one?!? So I reached for the course description for the first time.  The course was very well marked and I had little reason to look at it.  I then read these words – “Follow Couch road past Gate and up mountain for about 2.5 miles to Tuscarora Trail.” Wait – what? I am following this road, trail or whatever it is for 2.5 miles up?!?

At the previous AS, I had caught up to another runner. We had chatted some and he told me he was from Cleveland.  “What are you doing out here?” I asked.  He had camped out the night before and appreciated that it was a free event and wanted an adventure.  He also said that he had double booked and later that night would be meeting his buddies for the rest of their backpacking weekend in the Allegheny Mountains.  Ok I was a little jealous of the whole pack-up-the-car-and-get-away-for-the-weekend-kind-of-adventure.  But I didn’t tell him that.  He said they do not have a lot of big sustained climbs in his part of Ohio and I gladly offered up that we have tons of those in this part of PA.  After a bit he pulled away.  I did not try and keep up with him.  But he always seemed to be in sight on the grueling uphill climb that went on F-O-R-E-V-E-R. It reminded me a little of the roads in Rothrock State Forest that climb and climb.

My good pace I had for the first 6.5 miles was out the window.  What’s a runner to do? Just go with it.  On the long walk up, I lamented a bit about this event.  I wanted single track! Where is it? How much of this freakin’ gravel road stuff can there possibly be?  Be careful what you wish for!

No sooner had I regretted entering this event and then we came to the trailhead for the Tuscarora Trail. I entered onto it and at last – SINGLE TRACK! But it became evident soon that it was tough.  Rocks upon rocks.  But this was no surprise to me.  It’s Rocksylvania afterall.  From the description I knew we needed to cross the top of the mountain and then descend on what was called a “brutal descent”.   Let me just say that this descent was crazy! It made anything I have been on before (including the Water Tank Trail down Stony Mountain and the trail AT-Runner and I went down near Pine Grove Furnace) look easy.

Insert – mini shoe review: I wore my Hoka Challenger ATRs.  I had a couple of good mountain trail runs on them and knew mostly what to expect except that this run would be longer.  They are a great show. The bottom of my feet felt good after this run  The only exception to this is going downhill on steep descent hurts a bit.  The tongue is too flimsy and thin.  The laces cut into the ankle.  It was evident on this descent.  I am happy to say that Hoka is aware of this “flaw” and is rectifying this for the next version.   Unfortunately, this would not help me out on this crazy descent. 

So on this descent, the pitch was steep, the rocks were big, jagged, some loose, and some hiding.  My only solace was that I could hear others behind me verbalizing the same crazy thoughts I had in my head.  I made my way down and lost sight of the Cleveland runner – that is until we came to a climb on the same rocky trail.  He didn’t seem to be great on the climbs.  I caught up to him but stayed behind him.  No reason to forge ahead of him. When we crested, I lost him.  But a runner came up behind me out of nowhere.  I gave the obligated “how are you doing?” and he quickly offered that he had made a wrong turn and added a mile or two.  Hmmm…ok…you’re passing me around mile 11 or 12 and already have a mile or two on me? Carry on – you should be up with the front runners.

After a little bit, the trail leveled somewhat but was still brutally rocky.  The first female I saw on the day caught up to me here.  We sailed into the next AS where I saw the Cleveland runner.  Lingering only a bit, I left out ahead of the female runner but in pursuit of the Cleveland runner.  (Now reality states that I was not racing but the mere fact that other people were out there too kept me motivated and going.)  

We were off on MORE gravel roads.  It wasn’t too long though before we pulled off and then back on again.  All I could do was laugh now.  No way was I about to complain that I wanted more single track! I had another nice downhill bomb, this time 1.5 miles down.  I knew at some point we would be pulling off this gravel road to a single track trail up a mountain.  I saw the course markings to turn but the Cleveland runner was ahead and missed it.  I shouted for him and he turned around.  I wasn’t going to wait for him.  He somewhat caught up but that was short lived as the climb was brutal.

We started what was described as a short (.4 mile) but very steep ascent up Big Roundtop Trail.  Now I have been on plenty of steep ascents in my short trail running life (Hyner’s climb to the view, Water Tank Trail up to Stony Mountain north of Harrisburg, & Rothrock to name a few) but this was ridiculous.  Being the map addict I am, I wanted to map this climb on mapmyrun.com.  So it appears that climb is only about 4 tenths of a mile but climbs between 800-900 feet in that.  Most of that is in the last quarter mile! The-hardest-climb-of-my-life! For those that know Hyner, think SOB but much longer.  I grabbed sticks to use as trekking poles.  I stopped maybe 4-5 times on the way up just to get my heart rate in check. I am sure this wouldn’t have been quite as bad if it wasn’t already after 17 miles.  I was passed by the female runner who previously caught up to me.  She was a strong climber! At the top of the mountain, it was laughable, ironic, and improbable that there was a gravesite.  The RD told the story prior to the race that the woman buried up (sometime in the 1800's) there had asked to be buried at that spot and that it took eight men to carry her coffin up.  Uhhhh….ok

Down the trail and there was an oasis at mile 18.  An AS full of goodies.  I sat for a bit, drank some Gatorade and grabbed some grapes for the trail.  I left out just ahead of the second female runner but no Cleveland runner.  Where did he go? I was plodding along pretty slow at this point even though it was decent trail to run on.  I flipped flopped with the second female runner, who had done this event before, for a little bit until we arrived at the remnants of a failed tunnel through the mountain.  It’s strange to see the entrance of a tunnel on a mountain that essentially goes nowhere.  Now it’s just a showpiece of sorts for the area.  We left out and I chatted a bit with the female runner.  She informed me that we were almost back at the start/finish/AS.  It was mile 22 and it was where I had always intended on ending my day.  And I did.  I felt good…surprisingly.   I sat down to a bowl of great chili made by the RD’s wife.  I chatted a bit with other runners who were also down for the day.  There were many distances run – everything from 14 to the full 32 miles.  I was content with 22 miles and a bowl of chili.  I counted it a day and made the drive home.

Although I had some thoughts during the event of regretting it, I quickly put those feelings in check as I drove home.  I very much enjoyed the day.  It has been a long time since I ran and hiked such brutal climbs and descents for a longer time period.  I remember now what it is that I enjoy about those types of courses.  I wanted to do this event to get a longer time on my feet and then evaluate how my legs would feel in the days to follow.  I am still in evaluation mode.  I hope to make a decision very soon on a race or two for the fall.

The RD, his wife, and the volunteers who put on this event are super nice people.  I highly recommend coming out for this event and/or his late winter event in the same area (the Tuscarora 50k).  They pay for the post-race food, the pavilion, course markings, and other stuff all themselves.  They do lots of pre-race trail maintenance, with permission of course, leading up to the race.  All because of their passion for trails and trail people.

Other notes:

I used my Nathan pack with bladder.  It’s been a while since I had to use the bladder with the pack.  I forgot how much I hate it.  I really want to look into some other pack and hydration system.  I noticed some runners had a UD pack that had bottles on the front.  Maybe that is an option.

I had the bladder filled with water and tailwind.  It was great.  I did not eat a ton during the run – some grapes, some chocolate and cups of Gatorade.

I am mildly sore two days later but it is a good sore.  I haven’t had this good sore in a long long time.  My other soreness over the last 20+ months has been due to my chronic injuries and just plain suck.  I will let the good soreness subside and evaluate how the legs are doing.

I could have used trekking poles at this event and considered them.  I realized a few weeks ago that one of my poles was broke (thanks boys for using it as a baseball bat!).  I thought I would bring the one that did work but when I checked it the day prior to the event, it too was broke (thanks again boys!).  So I need new trekking poles.  Interesting though that no one had poles at the event.

The weather was mostly a non-factor.  Gorgeous day with a high temp of 84 but most important NO HUMIDITY.  Well maybe not no humidity but it was low.  I only felt overheated once but it did not last.

Now on to a 50k...I hope!

Sorry it was so long...it has been a while!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Awesome!  Congrats on the huge comeback, Jamie.  Sounds like a neat little event!

Running is dumb.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Nice job Jamie...so none of your injuries showed up during the run...that's good news!!!   We followed cars  with 13.1 and 26.2 on the back of them and ended up at brews and ?? race instead of the half we were heading too.  Should have stayed there. 

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Congrats, Jamie, you can be proud of your accomplishment!

After your struggles, I was wondering if, and when, you'd be coming back to longer distances, but you just rocked it! (Literally, LOL).

Sounds like a "half-and-half" race, half endless pesky gravel roads, half the most amazing single track. The gentle hill at mile 17 - crazy!

Run for fun.

XtremeTaper

Sounds fun even with all those roads. LOL, that one hills looks be a 90% grade on the chart. Great to see you out there tackling long distances on the trail again. Congrats!

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Daydreamer1

I've seen this race mentioned a couple of times. Every time I think about doing it I remember my experiences hunting on the Tuscarora Mtn and driving through that area. Rocks, rocks and more rocks. I'll have to keep it mind for next year. Glad to hear that it went well for you.

While you didn't specifically  mention it, I assume that the outer soles of the Challengers held up OK on the rocks.  My new Speedgoats should be waiting for me tonight when I get home

AT-runner

Tim

Glad it worked out well for you.  That downhill looks about 200' steeper than the Blueberry Hill trail the I took you on. That steep section looks unreal. Wish those West coast runners who say "you don't have mountains on the East" could run a course like this.

I have the SJ vest and don't use it. Not a fan of the sloshing water bottles being right below the ears.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I am not calling this a comeback - not just yet.  I feel I need to finish a 50k first and feel good in the days that follow.  This was a big step towards that though.

My "injuries" have rarely shown up during my runs.  It's mostly been the aftermath of the runs.  This is why I am keeping a close eye on things but so far so good.

Couch - some of this course reminded me of your neck of the woods - with a combo of gravel roads and gnarly single track.  You would have felt at home.

DD - the outsole is good so far.  I don't know if I could have put them through much more than I have in three longish trail runs - rocks, mud, creeks, more rocks, etc.  So far so good.  I still am a little unsure how long they will last though...but I cannot worry about that yet.

AT - Blueberry trail!!! I could not think of the name of the trail for the life of me.  Yes this downhill was a bit steeper than that but the size and shape of the rocks is what made it so tough.  Below is a pic from the Cleveland runner that captures the hill nicely.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I am not calling this a comeback - not just yet.  I feel I need to finish a 50k first and feel good in the days that follow.  This was a big step towards that though.

I understand your line of thinking, but 22 miles is enough of a comeback in my book.  Smile  And holy shit on that photo.

Running is dumb.

AT-runner

Tim

OK - a couple things about that photo...

1) Looks like good ole Rocksylvania to me.

2) Guy only has a left leg (making downhills hard) or his penis is a camera.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Nice downhill... 

AT: The guy has only a left leg because the terrain is so steep. If he had another leg, he would not be able to stand sideways on those steep mountain slopes, but fall over. It's like the cows with the longer legs on one side, who are common in mountainous areas. It's amazing what amount of adaptation you can see when you go out in the country. 

Run for fun.

NHLA

Congrats!  What a great run to get you ready. I hate it when a trail race is on gravel roads.

Dupont Foest 50k might be a good race for you. Moderate trails. Only 800' elevation gain but you will climb a mile before its over.

Daydreamer1

Congrats!  What a great run to get you ready. I hate it when a trail race is on gravel roads.

Dupont Foest 50k might be a good race for you. Moderate trails. Only 800' elevation gain but you will climb a mile before its over.

It's nice to have someone posting from down in your area. It gives me a idea of what races are down there and I've often thought about coming down there to do some. Unfortunately that will probably have to wait a year or two.

Watoni

That is a killer run and a worthy comeback ... I can only aspire to something like that now. Really need to heal/strengthen my ankles for that course!

muppy

Very nice Jamie,  some of those trails are quite rugged and a little hilly.  I'm really thinking about doing the "easier"  run in spring up there.  I hope  that  you  can put all these injuries behind you and stay healthy!