Trailer Trash

Cross Training & Running Distances (Read 58 times)

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I just came across this write-up on mountain biking for runners: https://www.trailrunnermag.com/component/content/article/1-cross-training/568-mountain-biking-for-trail-runners

I was a mountain biker first and trail runner second, so my vantage is a little different but one crossover skill that the author brought up that  I've personally noticed is that since I'm used to reading terrain at bike speed, reading it at foot speed is second nature.

I think I need a little bit of this!

For cross training I have been doing the "Ironstrength" workout that was published on RW about a year ago http://www.runnersworld.com/workouts/ironstrength-workout.  I do a scaled down version because 5-6 minutes of each set is close to impossible for me to get through and leaves me pretty much worthless for the next few days.  I've been doing that twice weekly and using the "perfect pushups" my gf got me a few years back on my rest day.  I guess that means no 100% "rest day" scheduled.

We have an elliptical machine in the TV room.  It gets used a couple times a month.

As for taking the plunge...I'm signed up for a few bicycle charity events starting in July.  I'm on the market for a road bike.  One of the events is sponsered by the company I work for so entry is free.  I was 'recruited' by our team captain.

Team captain: "Whats our budget for putting a team together?"

Owner of Company: "WIN"

Team captain: "It's a charity event not a race"

Owner of Company: "I don't care...WIN"

That should be a good time.

For me, the crosstraining is to support my running and to avoid looking like a twig.  I would probably do more miles if I wasn't doing the cross training.  I'm still not ready for more miles, so the cross training is working well for me now.

**Ask me about streaking**

Watoni

I do not cross-train -- I am now a trail runner who cycles and a cyclist who runs trails, depending on the week. I also ski and play tennis. Since the question was about cross-training, though, I will weight my answer towards that end.

Cross-training pros: I feel like cycling helps me recover better, provides variety, and I love it. Running trails gives me a fitness boost since I have a family and limited time to train, it provides weight-bearing exercise and generally kicks %$$#@#^

Cross-training cons: It is tough to do a personal best at either when you do both. You need to plan better since there are days or even weeks when you need to focus almost 100% on one sport, so if you have had life get in the way of the other one, it is very hard to make-up lost ground.

Mileage: You will sacrifice mileage if you do any serious cross-training in my opinion unless it is off-season (e.g. skiing). You need to stay current with your cycling by doing some base rides, intensity, etc. If you are decent cyclist then it makes cycling as cross-training or recovery much more feasible. Folks like Higdon who eschew cycling as recovery may have a point if you are not a cyclist. If hoping on the bike is second nature, going for a recovery spin is great the day after a long run imho.

Caveat: I am new to doing both sports (and to trail running generally .... it has been just over a year that I have been running with any regularity). This season (starting this month) will be a huge test. April/July I am hoping to do very tough double centuries on the bike and 50-milers 1-2 weeks apart. Then I am shooting for Leadville in August, followed in September by one of the toughest amateur cycling trips you can do ... we will see

Daydreamer1

Watoni - Your biking and running schedule has me jealous. I don't really have a desire to do a full double century but would like to get some centuries and double metrics in some time.

Have you ever thought about totally confusing your body, adding another sport (swimming) and doing any Tri's? My ultimate goal is to complete a Ironman, but that's a few years down the road.

Watoni

Watoni - Your biking and running schedule has me jealous. I don't really have a desire to do a full double century but would like to get some centuries and double metrics in some time.

Have you ever thought about totally confusing your body, adding another sport (swimming) and doing any Tri's? My ultimate goal is to complete a Ironman, but that's a few years down the road.

No, I trail run and road bike. Riding in the mountains on a tri bike is not something I would want to do, much less running on the road Wink