Trailer Trash

Oil Creek Ultras (Read 27 times)

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

For those that know these races (50k, 100k, and 100 miler) - they changed the registration process.  In years past they had a start date and time to register and the 50k and 100k usually sold out within minutes.  The 100 miler usually took a few months.  They had server meltdowns the last couple of years with the amount of people on at once trying to get in.

This year they are trying something different.  The 50k registration opened this last Sunday and was open for small "windows" of time through each day.  These windows were random in start time and duration.  The RD figured it could last a week to get enough people to registered but the 50 k sold out in less than 2 days.  It's rather funny to see the runners meltdown now instead of the server.  The comments on FB are funny.  People are pissed.

Having said all that, I am going to try and get in to the 100k. Registration starts this Saturday and will be open for "windows".  If I get in, then it was meant to be.

What a strange way to register though.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Daydreamer1

I wanted to do the 100k instead of Tussey Mountain, but this is on my weekend to work so it would have required me to take 48 hours off.

I think the reason the servers crash is not because there are so many people trying to get in, but because so many people are trying to use 3 and 4 devices at a time to register.  They used to do that for the Megatransect. It was frustrating to see the comments of people who were saying they had a desktop, laptop, tablet and phone all trying to get in for a single registration.  Not really sure what the answer is to these problems.

Keep Going

For those that know these races (50k, 100k, and 100 miler) - they changed the registration process.  In years past they had a start date and time to register and the 50k and 100k usually sold out within minutes.  The 100 miler usually took a few months.  They had server meltdowns the last couple of years with the amount of people on at once trying to get in.

This year they are trying something different.  The 50k registration opened this last Sunday and was open for small "windows" of time through each day.  These windows were random in start time and duration.  The RD figured it could last a week to get enough people to registered but the 50 k sold out in less than 2 days.  It's rather funny to see the runners meltdown now instead of the server.  The comments on FB are funny.  People are pissed.

Having said all that, I am going to try and get in to the 100k. Registration starts this Saturday and will be open for "windows".  If I get in, then it was meant to be.

It is strange I agree but Tom is trying something new and I hope it works for them. The VHTRC seems to do it right I think going to a lottery based on the closing of the Dow. It's orderly and calm. It's brilliant really.

Did you get in yet?

100 milers are my favorite

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

This seems like a really good way to piss off your clientele.

You people have issues 

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I did get in actually! I am quite happy about that.

It was weird though...

Normally I would never sit on a computer all day on a Saturday but I had a lot of work to do for a class.  So I did just so and checked the race registration site periodically.  I caught (3) times where registration was "open" and all (3) times it seemingly closed as soon as I enter my info.  I was not a happy camper.  Then I finally realized that I was not properly logged into the race reg. website.  I did so but feared that my luck was running out on catching another window.  But within a few minutes the window seemed to open again.  This time the button was lit up and I got it.  It felt a little like I did when I "won" my first item on ebay.

But if you do it as the RD (Tom) says to do it and check the race reg. site at your leisure, what are chances to get in when most people are sitting at their computer, laptop, tablet, phone hitting refresh over and over again?

My personal opinion is just go to a traditional lottery but what do I care - I got in!

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

This seems like a really good way to piss off your clientele.

It did.  A number of runners said they are "done with OC".  Now whether that is the case, only time will tell.

Keep Going

It did.  A number of runners said they are "done with OC".  Now whether that is the case, only time will tell.

Awesome congrats on getting in! You will love it!

It really is a great race with a small town feel and Tom is such a gentlemen. The course is beautiful at that time of the year and the volunteers are some of the best I've seen at any race distance. Having the school as a home base is also very unique and kind of a luxury really. I guess I'm sorta partial since it was my first 100 and I had such a blast. Hopefully in the future they will iron out the entry process a bit better. Growing pains I suppose because it's such a popular event.

100 milers are my favorite