Trailer Trash

Monday Morning Daily (Read 20 times)

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

It is Monday, which sucks. But there is no way to get around it, just got to go through it.  I have a very busy week.  I will feel much better when I hit next weekend.  For now today is a rest day.  Legs are barking at me a bit.  I need to take of them.  Yesterday was a strange day.  I got up early for a run.  Made it 9 miles and legs, as I said, were not happy.  I had thoughts that my previous injury was coming back.  I think I have just been pushing it too much.  So we'll back it off and change up training somewhat.  But after I got home, showered, ate a little breakfast I crashed.  I was so tired and my stomach hurt.  After lounging around and essentially napping for 1-2 hours, I was fine.  The rest of the day was then just a blur.  It felt like maybe 2 or 3 days rolled in one.

QOTD: Any wardrobe malfunctions or mishaps while running?  I have had a few but nothing major.  I once packed my running gear to hit the trails on the way home from a work mtg and realized I forgot to pack socks.  So I wore my dress socks.  At the gym not too long ago I realized after I got home that I had been wearing one sock inside out - not really a big deal except that it made it look like two totally different socks.

Have a great Monday!

Here's a little inspiration for the week: "Remember, the feeling you get from a good run is far better than the feeling you get from sitting around wishing you were running."

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

LB2

I ran two this morning before I had a bit of severe need to get back to the house before I had a serious mishap... I made it, barely.

QOTD: I was training for some long race and had a new hydration pack. I had washed it and dried it as best I could. But I decided to stuff some paper towels into the bladder and let it sit for a day or so. I got everything packed up, filled the bladder with water and went on a long training run. everything was fine until I sucked the bladder halfway down. I started getting resistance. I thought I was out of water. I got back to a stopping point and realized I had forgotten to take the paper towels out of the bladder, and they plugged up the tube. I guess I just wasn't paying attention when I filled the bladder before the run started that morning.

LB2

Daydreamer1

Busy week ahead for me as well.  Putting in time at all three jobs so it will tally up to about 60 hours of working. The good thing is all my time is now bunched into one week and the rest of September will be easier.

Planning on 7-8 miles this evening when it get cooler. Yesterday's run was 6.3 miles. The first 4 1/2 went well then the heat melted me down.

QOTD: Nothing major while running. I did show up at a softball game a few years back and realized that I forgot my running shoes. Played that game in my work boots.  Needless to say I was slow that day.

XtremeTaper

Not sure of the plan today, but typical week days are 7 miles on the trail after work so that will happen. So far I've ran every day this month and will keep that streak alive, then this upcoming weekend I will be in Oregon running in the Cascades.

Weekend catch up... 9 miles on Friday on the cinder rail trail outside of down. I threw 16 x 400 hard into the mix to spice it up. Saturday, 8 on the trails at Coventry Woods, and Sunday 11 on the trails at French Creek. Wanted a longer run yesterday but the Lady gave me the "look" in the morning so I took her along and did a shorter run. Sunny and warm but not super humid this past weekend.

QOTD: First 100 mile race I made a little ziplock drop bag for all my salts and gels for the first section of the race and positioned it at the first aid station, 6 or 8 miles into the race. Figured I could run the first section light. Got to the AS, they could not find my stuff. Thankfully my crew and some other crew hooked me up. Not sure how that would have turned out... no salt of gels on a hot day for 30+ miles. Lesson learned, since I don't run with a pack, I now start long races with my short pockets packed with gels and whatnot. Sometimes the added weight might lead to a bit of crack exposure for those behind me. Don't really know for sure.

Jamie - What's your weekly mileage been? I remember you going with the 10 mile plan a few weeks back. Hope it's just the heat. Take it easy this week until the cooler weather arrives.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

some call me Tim

Good morning! Rest day here as well... which means it's a trail work day. I'm getting closer to taking the plunge hosting that race but am still putting together basic details and website etc.. things I want to have in place before I go public with it.

Oh and yesterday I won Masters at a local race! I've wanted to do it because of its unique format but never had the chance. The idea is (or has been) that you run along Telegraph Rd. in Pike, NY listening to Telegraph Road by Dire Straits, which is 14 minutes and 18 seconds long. Stop when the song ends and wait for the organizers to come pick you up in a hay wagon. But this year the RD purposely introduced a new format 5 minutes before the start of the race (such secrecy!).

The course is, with little exception, straight uphill at an average grade of around 5%. He explained he felt bad for the runners last year and so this year we were given a numbered token (a baby food jar with miniature replica telephone poles including wires made with guitar strings). We were to run up the hill as far as we liked, setting our jar at our turnaround point and racing back down the hill to finish. So long as we made it back before the end of the song, our full distance was counted. If we failed to make it back in time, only the distance out to the turnaround was counted. So this became an economy problem as well as a game of chicken and to be honest, a heck of a lot of fun! As a friend (who was among a group of failures) later said, there was 'too much macho' out on the course.

I got to run against this guy who was a local legend back when I was running XC in high school. He's quite a few years older than me, but is still a great runner and I've only ever managed to beat him once. Inadvertently finding a crack in the rules and a few strides behind him on the out portion, I tossed my jar down onto the shoulder beside his and hauled ass back down the hill, passing him about halfway and needlessly blazing through the field to arrive at the finish with nearly 40 seconds to spare.

In the end it didn't matter that I beat him down the hill, only that when I tossed my jar down, it had rolled a few inches further on. And that is how I came to win a private tour of the windmills in Pike (and free entrance to the Buffalo Marathon). Great day.

Have a good day out there!

oh, wait! MTA - It's kind of weird but I've never had a wardrobe malfunction of any kind. On a long enough timeline...

AT-runner

Tim

Took the bike to work today to check it out. We're heading to Chincoteague on Thursday, for the long weekend, and are taking the bikes along. Now I need to tune up DW's bike tonight when I get home.

Nice AT run yesterday.  Passes an older woman who was walking without any water or supplies and she said "be careful and watch your step". First time anyone has ever told me to watch my step while running the rocks of the AT. It was nice of her to think of my welfare.

QOTD:  In the Spring, I came home with one less sock than I left with. I have no plans to go and dig it up.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Well it's now official- summer sucks . I made a bold prediction last week that we wouldn't see 90 degrees again due to several cool days strung together- today 91, Tuesday 93, Wednesday 91, Thursday 91 

Was up at 4:00 this morning, 49 degrees (at least there's that) and 5-ish miles, will  do the same tomorrow, but will replace batteries in my headlamp so I can actually see.

qotd: at a tough (and warm) trail race last year I kept my small bag of electrolytes in a small interior pocket of my shorts- after consuming one I went for the next one only to find the bag missing. Totally bummed; then about  half way into the race I started to chafe around my male anatomy, after about an hour of discomfort I discovered the source of my problem- I found my baggie of electrolytes 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

muppy

6.1 on my trails at work.

XT,  I hope you have a great time running in the Cascades!

Nice job on the win Blargendarg!

QOTD  A few months ago I unfortunately wore out the liner on my favorite pair of shorts on a long run. I had some rather unfortunate chafing in that region.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Hey back from the beach...only ran 7 miles Friday and strolled the beach the rest of the weekend.  It was cool and foggy everyday.  The whales treated us to a great show on Saturday.  This couple pulled in next to us and the woman sat in a chair while the husband cooked dinner and played with the kids.  So we pegged her to be a new girlfriend and thought it was pretty shitty she had no interest in his kids.  Come to find out she is their Mom and has cancer and just had surgery so they thought the beach would be a good place to heal.   guess that proves you shouldn't judge folks because you never know what is going on in there lives.  Sleep in and plan to run after work, before I go home.

QOTD:  Not really, forgot socks and stopped at the store and bought some.  Best non running malfunctions was in middle school.  We would wear jeans under our uniforms to and from school.  So time to leave and I wipe my uniform off before putting my jeans on. 

QOTD weekender: Tomatoes, especially those orange cherry tomatoes...so sweet.  Fruits so good I don't know why anyone would put whipped cream on them...save the calories for wine.

QOTD Friday: Of course I get freaked out!!!  the dark woods is where the boogey man hides out.

Jamie: Good quote and so true...was thinking this on the way to work.  When I lay in bed I shouldn't think about that first  mile and half up the hill that sucks...I need to visualize the middle miles while I am in the woods and how good I feel after.

blargendarg:  That actually sounds like a fun race.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

LB2 - too much coffee?

DD - since when do you have 3 jobs? I think I missed something.

XT - I only did the 10 miles/day for one week - trying to run on tired legs for a while.  I felt fine then but now the legs are aching.  My mileage has been up for me but I usually scale it back for a week or so.  I will just blame it on you (and Gator, and others) with all your consistent mileage and stuff making me want to run more...geesh! 

blarg - that sounds like one crazy but creative race.  Wish they had more of that around here.  Congrats on beating the old man!

AT - back to Chincoteague already? Enjoy!

warden - so moral of the story is always check deeper when you lose something - you never know where it will show up.

muppy - do you run the trails at work while working or before/after?

Queen - that reminds me of a qotd I want to ask - regarding which miles (or part of) your run feels the best.  That first couple of miles is almost always the worst for me.

dpc3

Up early am for 4 with Pearl the wonder dog. Heading to NC later this week so that will make for an interesting weekend of running.

QOTD: Nothing I can think of but I am sure my dumbass has forgotten something.

LB2

LB2 - too much coffee?

I'm leaning that way.

LB2

AT-runner

Tim

AT - back to Chincoteague already? Enjoy!

Haven't been down since May, so looking forward to some R&R and running with the ponies and The Creamery.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Haven't been down since May, so looking forward to some R&R and running with the ponies and The Creamery.

Island Creamery is soooo good but with three kids, that place could make us go broke!!! Enjoy!

Gator eye

6 easy this morning

QOTD: red is my favorite color so I purchased a nice light pair of red shorts to run in. Man did I feel fast and light wearing those shorts, to bad I ran almost 10 miles before I noticed they became almost see through then wet. 😁

No worries all my shorts are black nowadays