Trailer Trash

My Butt Hurts Monday (Read 33 times)

LB2

I'll probably run 10 after work. I had to take yesterday off. Saturday's run zapped me pretty good with the heat and humidity. But, looking back, I still made 15 miles in 2:48, and that is hiking 3.5 miles. Nevertheless, my glutes were killing me on Sunday. So, I watched television, and did some stretching.

QOTD: What are some things you do to prepare mentally prepare for a long run/race?

During the run/race, I try to forget about the distance and the time. I try to break it down into smaller portions that I can mentally digest. For instance, on loop courses, I focus on the number of loops, not the miles. One of the best races I have run (it was slow, but it was well managed) was a 100K in 2011. At one point, I was almost overwhelmed by the magnitude of the distance because I went through a low spot at about 50K. Then, I re-focused on the fact that I only had one and a half loops to go, not 31.1 more miles. It totally changed my perspective, and I went on to pass a bunch of folks and finish feeling pretty fresh. I know some folks find loop courses hard, but thinking about loops makes them easier for me. I need to focus on aid station to aid station in point to point races, and it seemed to work pretty well at the last one I did. But I have a lot of work to do on point to point courses.

LB2

Occasional Runner

My ass hurts, too, Burke. The gluteus obviously needed the workout.

Nothing for me today. We're traveling back to Utah this morning and I feel like I need to rest up.

QOTD: I visualize the entire run, especially the part when I finish. I also try to anticipate all the hurt and nastiness of a long run so I'm better prepared for it.

NorthernHarrier

Probably a rest day myself. Double workouts of running and mtn. biking both Sat. and Sun. My butt feels fine btw.

HAM workout bright and early on my measured trail tomorrow so rest today is probably wise. If it doesn't rain today I have a date with my lawn mower later.

QOTD--N/A for me these days. 

AT-runner

Tim

Nothing for me today either.  Looks like Monday is the  biggest SRD for this group.

QOTD:  I'm not a nervous person but I tend to get really excited (as in I can't wait for the race to start) before a race, so for me, I prepare by trying to calm down. I think through my AS strategy and mentally set up race plan "A", "B" and "C".   I have usually memorized large climbs with approximate mileage so I don't get surprised.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

XtremeTaper

Fairly productive weekend of running... 10 miles on Friday evening (Coventry Woods trails), 16 on Saturday (mix of surfaces along the Schuylkill river), and 8.5 miles yesterday on the trails of French Creek. Pretty great weather for August running. I actually wore a shirt on Friday it was so chilly. Tonight, the Lady and I will do our usual loop at Coventry Woods.

QOTD: Since I am a mental case, I am pretty strong in that department I believe

LB2 - Point to point courses are the easiest to me. It's just a bunch of little runs from aid station to aid station. All of a sudden it's the middle of the night and your are at some stupid distance into the course. By then the mind is too confused to understand it all so you just have some soup then move forward.

Lace, Couch - Congrats on your 100 mile finishes!

In dog beers, I've only had one.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

strength training this evening, has been a full week w/o running so looking forward to tomorrow morning's run

qotd: I make a list of stuff I need, check it off so I don't have to worry if I forgot something; I look up everything possible about the route (I like maps!)

lace-good ideas about visualizing the route and also anticipating the bad stuff, because it almost always comes

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Sandy-2

SRD.  Just kind of going thru the motions at work today, very numb.  My butt is fine though.

qotd: I also break down the run, I tend to concentrate on calorie intake and getting from one aid station to the next.  I also occupy my mind figuring out (predicting) how long it's going to take to the next aid station given the trail conditions, terrain and how I'm feeling.

tbd.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Got out this morning for 4ish miles. Some of it included exploring a nearby trail that I did not realize was going to be as long as it was.  It's not super long but long enough and surprisingly not overgrown.  I feel a little like a kid in a candy store who discovered a brand new flavor.  It's a trail nestled by the creek down the hill from the neighborhood I recently moved in.  Saw some white tails in there that did not run far from me.  This could work.

QOTD: Been a while since I did any long runs.  For races, I would break it down in sections -- sometimes AS to AS.  For long runs, I try to just focus on getting from point A to B and back to A again since they are usually out and backs.

Congrats to Kelly on the big buckle this weekend and congrats to Marie for getting through a grueling course.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

DigDug2

SRD for me.  Just got back from a week in Maine, had some great running on the AT (or more like fast hiking - trail is pretty gnarly up there), kayaking and eating.

QOTD:  I'm a novice when it comes to longer stuff - interested in others' strategies.

runtraildc

Morning!  Ended up walking last night with the in-laws and their crazy GSP.  Ran yesterday's route this morning- 4.5 miles.  Although we 're out on the prairie right now, I'm getting some good hill workouts along the river valley.  Nice change of pace.

qotd: my runs and races are short (relatively) So I don't have anything to add here.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Sandy, I caught your post the other day.  I am very sorry to hear about your BIL.

I'm supposed to run tonight if the weather cooperates.  I got in some good biking over the weekend.  Also thanks to all of my PT, I have buns of steel.  Been working on glute strength for months now.  Apparently lots of runners are lacking in the glutes.

QOTD: I have no idea.  My longest run ever is 3.4 miles. 

Running is dumb.

Marley and I slept in later than usual  (6 AM) and then had a nice 6 mile trail run.

QOTD: Nothing other than trying to be rested, but I probably have not done runs that are long by a lot of folks standards.  I think 18 miles is as far as I have gone and that has been some time ago.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Did not get out of bed but Monday is a rest day normally.  May do a little something after work.  Ran 15 yesterday with running buddies.  Quads are a little sore, it's been awhile on the  longer runs.

qotd:  how do I prepare mentally....just remind myself I need to calm down and slow down It's a long run.  Out and backs, when I hit the turn around I always feel like I am done and only need to get to the finish.

Sandy sorry about your BIL.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

jonferg67

Endless trails

SRD for me to. My first day off after resigning, it's 11:00 and I already got my

errands done, walked the dogs and started packing. I'm going to need to

pace myself or I'll go nuts till move day.

boyjame: How cool is that, love finding new trails.

MM: during my race saturday my right groin was seizing up a little on the climbs, made

me think of you. Didn't bother me sunday so I won't worry.

QOTD: I don't run/race long so N/A for me.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I'm supposed to run tonight if the weather cooperates.  I got in some good biking over the weekend.  Also thanks to all of my PT, I have buns of steel.  Been working on glute strength for months now.  Apparently lots of runners are lacking in the glutes.

Mandy - do share please! The exercises that is....

My favorite day of the week is RUNday