Trailer Trash

Sad news, please be safe out there (Read 39 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Sad news here- went for a run with the local ultra group (10 of us), about a 19 mile loop in some of the most remote country in the Elkhorns, about a third of the way in the guy that runs the group told everyone to stay fairly close together as the trail is really difficult to pick up in several spots (I can attest to this as I did this loop two summers ago and it was tough to stay on the trail- very little use and no maintenance).  A gal who I had only met that morning, took off into the lead (she's fast) when we got to the next junction waiting for everyone, she wasn't there.  A couple of the faster guys took off down the trail going the wrong way to see if she had missed the turn, we waited about an half hour until they came back and no sign of her.  At the point we assumed she had made the right turn and was ahead of us.  We made it to a top of the ridge and whistled and shouted for her, we stayed there about 45 minutes calling out and listening.  We still thought the she could be ahead of us still, two hours later we made it to the trailhead hoping she would be there, she wasn't.

We drove to where we could get cell coverage and notified the Sheriff's Office and gave them contact numbers for her family in case she had went out another way and made it to a ranch or a road and called.

As of this morning, she still been located and the local Search Rescue is out in full force searching.  Last night in the Elkhorns I'm sure it was below freezing.  In my opinion she was underdressed and had just a tiny pack (not sure what was in it).

I would feel a lot better if I knew she had a means to start a fire, an emergency blanket, a shell, hat & gloves , little extra food and an additional layer for the torso.  This bare bones kit would fit into almost any sized pack, add very minimal additional weight and could easily be a life saver.

My prayers go out to her and I hope they find her safe and sound.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

AT-runner

Tim

Wow. Hope this has a good outcome. Sorry to hear about it. Good luck.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Sorry to hear your fun adventure took such a sad turn.

As as someone who has gotten lost a few times myself and made it out of dangerous situations just by coincidence, I can imagine what the runner must be going through, the cold, the negotiations with oneself, the regret, the despair. I really hope she did not get injured, hurt, or attacked by some wild animal. The cold must be brutal.

My prayers go out to her. Has helped me a few times, so I hope it will help her, too.

Run for fun.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I'm happy to report they found her just a little while ago, distraught, but evidently OK!

Hopefully will get more details; usually there are lessons to be learned from this unfortunate incidents

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

AT-runner

Tim

Great news! Not a way to practice your survival skills.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

LB2

I am glad she is okay. I know of one instance, from years ago, that ended tragically. He got lost in the desert out on the Twenty-nine Palms Marine Corps Base. He got lost in August; I was one of the first people who showed up to help look for him. We ended up getting some great search and rescue folks from San Diego to come up and help with the search, dogs and all. He was eventually found, by chance, in January or February. I doubt he was still alive by the time we found out he was missing.

LB2

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

very lucky indeed

according to the nearest Snotel site, it got down just about freezing last night- tough conditions to be caught out in unprepared

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

muppy

Mt Warden, so glad she was found and alive. Just a reminder to be safe out there.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

So glad to hear she was found and - hopefully - well. Never underestimate treacherous terrain and unmaintained trails.

I like the "emergency kit" idea. I will take at least a thermal blanket along with me on my solo winter runs when I run longer, just in case.

Run for fun.

Sandy-2

Wow. Glad to hear she was found.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

NHLA

Glad she is OK. DW makes me take a Bic lighter with me when I run Pisgua.