Trailer Trash

26.2 RR (Read 49 times)

Snowdenrun

On Saturday I ran the inaugural Sitka Cross Trail Classic Marathon.

In short I ran. I ran some more. I tripped. I kept running. I thought about crying then I kept running. More running. Then somehow I finished. I crossed under the balloon arch and didn't even look to see what my time was. All I could focus on was finishing. I believe I stopped my watch shortly after but at the moment I have no clue where said watch is.

The race started out with a bit over 100 runners at the airport terminal. I’m fortunate enough to work in the building right next to the terminal and got primo parking and my own private bathroom. They made a big fuss about starting promptly at 7 am and not a second later.

At 7:02 and some odd seconds we were off.

Sick joke #1: Part of the course description on Active.com boasts about beautiful snow capped mountains and ocean views. The view yesterday? Grey. Completely grey. And raining. The sun was no where to be found. Talk about hard nipples everywhere and not just the ones on Nathan water bottles. Typical Sitka day. Really I think this is perfect running weather. It was mid 50's and lightly raining. Not to hot and not to cold.

Sick joke #2: Race shirt given out was a long sleeve tech shirt that's white. Wet t-shirt contest anyone?

The course looks like this. Don't get confused like I did and think the numbers are mile markers. They are aid station locations.

https://sphotos-a-pao.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/970766_489213491155093_576035102_n.jpg

Sick joke #3: After the start you head towards town from the airport. But first you run this nice little loop called Alice Loop. Where the waste water treatment plant is located. Gag me. Did I mention it was a loop? So you ran past it twice.

After everyone's sinuses were filled with the smell of feces you head over O'Connell bridge and onto the main island. Pass through the heart of downtown and in just over 3 miles you pass the finish line(sick joke #4?). From there you head into Totem Park and complete the big loop and small loop. In the park is flat well maintained trails wide enough for 2 or 3 people with totems all over the place. It's the battle ground where the Russians came in on ships and fought the Indians.  After the park you hit a paved bike trail for about a mile before entering the trail portion of the race.

This portion is where I wanted to kick some ass. This trail is right behind my house and I run on it easily 4 days a week. I got on the single track portion and let me legs loosen up and feel right at home working my way over the rocks and roots and through the mud. I absolutely had a home court advantage. I was passing people frequently. Until I immediately needed to find the back woods bathroom. And by immediately I mean 5 minutes earlier. And then... nothing. I got back on the course and had fallen back about 30 people. I didn't really mind about placement just my personal time/effort. Eventually the Cross Trail changes from semi-technical single track to a multi-use hilly trail. I wish I was able to get an elevation profile but I'm not. So just trust me when I say it's quite hilly.

The trail ends at "the Benchlands". Which is a new development road which has not developed past the "road" stage. It's really an ultra wide rocky trail in my opinion. The half-ers went about half way down the road and turned around while the full-ers went the entire way to turn around(about 1 mile out). I tried to mentally prepare myself for when I would need to run this again on the second loop knowing it would be my hardest spot.

After the out and back you drop down onto one of the two main roads in town to run along the ocean(read: big wall of grey.) I passed by a water station where a fellow EMT was kind enough to warn my that the Chief was announcing over the fire department radio my whereabouts. After about 3 miles of road the course passes through the round-about. Firefighters were doing traffic control and cheered me on which gave me a bit of speed. Then I turned the corner to pass the finish line again(sick joke #4 5 and 6) and made my way into Totem Park to make another loop.

I ran the first half of the race strong. Really strong. I felt great and energetic. Then the second loop came along and the pain started to come in. I let myself slow down a bit to conserve some energy and never sped up again. At this point the 25 or so marathoners were so  widely spread out that I went about an hour without seeing another runner. When I came to the hilly part of the Cross Trail I let myself power hike(not walk Wink) on the uphills. I hated walking  power hiking but I was giving it my all. And then I came to the dreaded Benchlands. Where I wanted to cry. And I almost did. I think I might have if I knew I wouldn't see anybody but this being the out and back portion I didn't risk it. Let me tell you the mile out and the mile back on the god forsaken "road" was tough. It was really really tough. I can't explain what "tough" means but I'm sure you all understand in your own way.

As I was nearing the end of the Benchlands I saw a familiar face. The Chief had driven as far as he could then got of the the car and walked in a bit and started cheering me on as soon as I came into sight. "Michelle!!!" That one man cheering section kept me running out of the Benchlands. He laughed when I asked where my wheelchair was. ..I was only half kidding.

When I finally made it onto the main road I saw the 23 mile marker sign and told myself I only had a 5k to go. I could handle a 5k. In this section I must have looked terrible because the reaction from all the AS workers was much different than my first go around. They all kept saying "You're so close. Almost done." They all had the "I'm sorry" tone to their voice.  Someone else must have been hurting more than me(really not possible) because I was very slowing reeling in a guy in front of me. It took me a good 10 minutes to get from 30 feet behind him to his side.

I was a little disappointed when I got to the round-about and the firefighters weren't doing traffic control any more as I was about to start crawling. I made it through the round-about and look up and all the fire trucks are outside and as I start to pass by the fire department every singe truck turns its lights and sirens on and blasts their air horns. Talk about the most incredible moral support in the history of ever! I went from the stumbling dead to "kick it up 100 notches and sprint the last .5 mile."

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/375657_689065637774595_440342575_n.jpg

Seriously incredible what that did for my spirits.

I rounded the corner and saw the 26 mile marker and told myself  ".2" I just kept repeating that until I saw the balloon arch. Who moved the arch further away?? But at that point the finish line crowd pulled me through.

https://sphotos-b-pao.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/564251_689209784426847_1379077085_n.jpg

Oh I guess I finished in 4:13!

At the finish DBF found me and helped me hobble into the basketball quarts where there was food set up and little pools of crushed ice to put your feet in if you wanted. I proceeded to sit directly in the ice as my ass was significantly more sore than my feet. A local massage therapist was and added bonus. She worked wonders on my butt. Big grin

I came home quickly showed and didn't let myself sit down because I had to rush off to work. I didn't even have time to stretch. For a few hours after I felt like I had chugged a bottle of vodka got ran over by a truck and then chugged more vodka. Come dinner break I was finally able to stomach some food. Around 9:40 pm I dipped out of work early to go get my well deserved beer. That beer is the reason there are no commas in this because I spilled a decent portion all over the keys of my laptop.

Over all I'm happy. Many things I could have done better. But no better way to learn than by first hand experience. And something interesting while I was in my deepest darkest running place ready to lay down on the rocks and cry I thought  "I should run a 50k next". Clearly I like putting myself through pain.

Daydreamer1

A race with hard nipples and white t-shirts?? Wow, sign me up Evil. A good reason to plan a trip to Alaska.

Congrats on finishing, and your time seems pretty good for the type of terrain.

Have you thrown down the gauntlet yet and challenged any of your fellow firefighters to join you next year?

AT-runner

Tim

Yea, Yea, Yea!!!  I'm very happy for you.  Smile

How cool, and what a great treat to have your fellow fire fighters out there cheering.

Great finish time.  My only question is why are you still running AFTER you crossed the finish line?

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Birdwell

Congratulations!!!!!!!

jonferg67

Endless trails

What a great report. Awesome job on your first marathon. I was feeling

your pain when I read the 'tough' part, then pictured the fire trucks with

lights and sirens, great moral support from your coworkers.

Thanks for the write-up.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

great job!  I knew you didn't have anything to worry about Smile

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

I really enjoyed your RR.  I guess local races are a little like family -- some good stuff (lights and sirens blasting for just for you!), some bad stuff (feces loop!) but at the end of the day, you're kind of stuck with them (unless you're somewhere with lots and lots of events to chose from, of course).  Thanks for posting and well done!

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

valerienv

Thread killer ..

Congratulations !

Sandy-2

Awesome!!!  We knew you were going to do great.

tbd.

Watoni

Reality check #1: You did awesome!

Reality check #2: There is always a low point.

Reality check #3: 50k is too easy now ... skip to 50-miler

Trail Monster

Dang! I can't do a road marathon in 4:13! Awesome work!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Low_O2

Nice job and congrats on a great finishing time! That is awesome that you had your own firefighters cheering crew along the way. I think you're definitely ready for a 50k! Thanks for sharing an entertaining race report.

Snowdenrun

AT- I was going for a third loop! But really I have no clue. About 5 steps later I laid down on the sidewalk right in the way of everybody.

Watoni- I kept thinking "if I were only running the half this would be so much easier". But you're right. I would have ran the half much harder and still died.

The official results came out and my time was 4:13:21. ..so longer than what the clock in the picture says. But nothing that I really worry about. In total there were 109 runners. 88 ran the half, leaving 21 for the full. I was 13/21 and 5th female. Not to shabby.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Congratulations, awesome time!

Those undeveloped "roads" can be really tough, I hate those, too!

Run for fun.

AT-runner

Tim

AT- I was going for a third loop! But really I have no clue. About 5 steps later I laid down on the sidewalk right in the way of everybody.

Haha. Now next time, you have to hold your arm really high as you cross the finish line and smile for the finishers photo. Big grin

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway!