Trailer Trash

Wasatch 100 RR (Read 48 times)

Occasional Runner

This is a tough race and my slowest 100 mile finish (so far). It was great to run all these trails right in my backyard with so many familiar faces. Aside from the race itself, I really had a great time.

You can check it out here...

http://www.slippingslowlyintopain.blogspot.com/2014/09/wasatch-front-100-abundance-of-vert-and.html

Thanks!

moonlightrunner

Congratulations! What a great accomplishment!

Loved the bit with the guy in the living room. Awesome...what a way to brighten a day for the runners!

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

Birdwell

wow. That confirms what I thought about that race.

I really liked your 4 reasons for going on. You did the right thing there.

Good luck at the Bear.

Maybe take a couple days off beforehand?

Queen of Nothing

Sue

The dude on the easy boy was cool...# ummm2 "you did the right thing". Was good....because u always tell yourself after...shit I could have done that!

Congratulations on another buckle.. Cute too...you should get a shorter belt for Jo to wear it.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Brian Runner

A great read as always.

Daydreamer1

Thanks for the post. In regards to #2. No matter what you did for the next three weeks you were going to hear "you did the right thing", which, in my opinion, you did.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

You did the right thing.

Actually this might be one of your best race reports.  It was nice to get a glimpse of what was going on in your head as you considered dropping on a few occasions.  Thanks for sharing.

Love the friend in the living room.  That should be framed and placed in your room of buckles and other such memorabilia.  Classic!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

+1 to this being one of your best RR (out of a lot!).  Really, whether you are racing, out for a training run, dropping, or fighting for the finish you have a way of capturing the experience.  I think it has to do with the level of honesty you maintain while writing...BS is easy to spot and there's none of it in your RRs.  Congrats on toughing it out and getting the finish and oh yeah...you did the right thing.

**Ask me about streaking**

Occasional Runner

Love the friend in the living room.  That should be framed and placed in your room of buckles and other such memorabilia.  Classic!

The guy that set up the living room at mile 27 is an interesting person. I've been competing with him since I moved to Utah and he's a better runner than I am. He won the Pony Express 100 while I was chasing him through the night, but I came in 2nd place with no chance to catch him. He and I have had a great friendship while racing each other. It turns out his running career might be over due to some knee problem that can't be corrected. It's tragic in my mind because he's a great runner and an awesome person. But I'm happy that he's still around and a part of the sport the way he is. His presence on the course was a bright spot for a lot of people.

Occasional Runner

+1 to this being one of your best RR (out of a lot!).  Really, whether you are racing, out for a training run, dropping, or fighting for the finish you have a way of capturing the experience.  I think it has to do with the level of honesty you maintain while writing...BS is easy to spot and there's none of it in your RRs.  Congrats on toughing it out and getting the finish and oh yeah...you did the right thing.

Thanks. That really means a lot to me.

Occasional Runner

As a side note to my RR...I was running so hard in the last 5 miles that I dropped my pacer because he couldn't keep up. I know he felt awful about it, so I obviously didn't want to write about it and cause him any embarrassment. There's a lesson in there somewhere...for both of us.

Watoni

As a side note to my RR...I was running so hard in the last 5 miles that I dropped my pacer because he couldn't keep up. I know he felt awful about it, so I obviously didn't want to write about it and cause him any embarrassment. There's a lesson in there somewhere...for both of us.

Well, having only had one pacer ever (a volunteer pacer at Leadville), I dropped him and he in fact needed to get driven back to the start (stomach issues). I am grateful for his efforts (he really motivated me up Powerline), and in fact when I dropped him I felt really strong and motivated to get to the finish and push.

Of course, it probably would have been better to have a pacer the whole time, but things happen on the trail ....

BTW, you rocked this despite the difficulties. Wasatch is one tough race, and I considered whether this time is a greater accomplishment than the Big Buckle at Leadville Smile

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Congratulations, awesome recovery and second half!

When reading your report, I could relate to many of your thoughts along the way. You are one tough dude to keep going even when things look grim. Were there certain foods that made you feel better and provided sufficient nutrition to catch up again, or was it just more of what you usually eat during a race?

The buckle looks just awesome - where do I sign up for this race? But then - knowing your pace, I am sure I would by no means be able to chase down that "under 30 hrs" beauty...

Any idea what the daytime temps were?

Run for fun.

Occasional Runner

BTW, you rocked this despite the difficulties. Wasatch is one tough race, and I considered whether this time is a greater accomplishment than the Big Buckle at Leadville Smile

It's a big deal to finish Wasatch under 30 hours and I'm pretty happy with my time, especially considering the trouble I had. My big buckle probably means more only because I had been hunting for it for so long. They're both special.

Occasional Runner

Were there certain foods that made you feel better and provided sufficient nutrition to catch up again, or was it just more of what you usually eat during a race?

The buckle looks just awesome - where do I sign up for this race?

Any idea what the daytime temps were?

I just started eating more Hammer gels to pull myself out of the funk. They worked really well for me. I also downed a lot of HEED that Jo mixed with ice and had ready for me when I was overheated. That was awesome!

Race registration should be coming up soon because I think the lottery is held in January.

It reached almost 90 in the long stretch where I got overheated. No cover at all, working hard on the big climbs...it took a HUGE toll!

Thanks for reading!