Trailer Trash

Frigid Fridaily (Read 14 times)

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

This cold just won't quit.  I chickened out yesterday and took my run to the gym.  The winds just made everything miserable.  I got in a good 5 miles on the dreadmill.

QOTD: Does extreme temperatures keep you from doing normal life activities?

Apart from the obvious there is a state of emergency and roads are closed due to huge snow, I would say not much.  Obviously this cold and windy stuff affects my running a little but with a gym membership, I find a way to get er done.  In summer during especially hot times, we still try to keep our normal routine but just may not be out in it quite as long.  My family is not much for just staying in the house because the temps are too high or too low.

Have a great day and weekend!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

XtremeTaper

Very cold and very windy today. I am glad I am not in training as I have no reason to go out and run in this sheit, but oddly I gave it a brief thought this morning. So just gym time for me today, either at lunch or after work. Cardio today, bike, arc trainer, egads maybe treadmill. LOL.

QOTD: Yes, somewhat. I used to be more hardcore, but I have no desire to be out in the cold with the wind like we have now. Heat does not bother me as much as cold, though extreme heat is not common here.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

well we almost broke 10 degrees yesterday! 

took Tiny Elvis out yesterday evening for 3-ish miles, he has been cooped up too long and enjoyed the outing

going to hit the trails this evening regardless

qotd: I have a pretty high tolerance for cold, but I get sick of below zero stuff; heat I do everything to avoid- I’ll gladly get up at 4:00 AM to beat the heat.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

AT-runner

Tim

Treadmill run yesterday due to a reported -25° windchill in Michaux.  Not happy being on the treadmill, but heard there were a lot of blow downs, so probably best not to be int he woods by myself.  My 4 day running streak will end today. SRD.

QOTD: Only for safety reasons. Otherwise, I usually bundle up in the cold or run at night on really hot days.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Sandy-2

Stay warm everyone !!!!!

SRD today. But I'm going to do some core/stretching stuff in the office gym at lunch. There is a new lunch group forming that meets every day, I told them I'd probably show up once a week, so I guess today's a good day to start.

qotd: Cold - no.  Hot - yes. For the most part it's easier to add warmer clothes and bundle up. When it's really hot (and humid), the only thing to do is avoid it by getting up early or going out late.  As an example; I have run in Norway in winter, I'd never even think about doing Badwater. 

tbd.

LB2

No run today, but probably 8 to 10 miles tomorrow.

QOTD: Much like Sandy. Heat is something that will make me change my normal activities, but cold rarely does that. However, it is rarely so cold that it is an issue down here.

LB2

AT-runner

Tim

No run today, but probably 8 to 10 miles tomorrow.

QOTD: Much like Sandy. Heat is something that will make me change my normal activities, but cold rarely does that. However, it is rarely so cold that it is an issue down here.

Jumping right back into it. Have a god run. Go someplace fun or new and see if that helps get you re-energized. That always works for me when I'm in a running funk.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

6.8 with the group this morning....good group 5 girls, one guy and 4 dogs.  We ran the numeral loop backwards.  Funny how we get lost on a  trail we ran a millions times. Gym at lunch.

QOTD:  Yes never in CA.  Unless when you count when it snows and they call work off so we head up the hill to snowshoe. 

AT:  Going to sign up for Mt Hood 50 miler lottery this weekend...hint, hint..

Sandy:  Enjoy your lunch date...it's nice meeting up with others..gets you to do it.  I would love to have a gym buddy.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Daydreamer1

Temperature 12 degrees, wind 10-20 sustained out of the WNW for a "real feel" of  -5 to -8.   Lovely, lovely weather.

With the wind being that high I'll stay inside and work out  on the elliptical and lift weights. Might just try to jog some on the creaky old TM.

I'm hoping that the wind will die down tomorrow.

QOTD:  I guess this would depend on the definition of extreme temps.

The cold does alter what I would call normal life activities somewhat. Right now I have some outside stuff I'd like to get done. At 30 degrees I'd  consider it. At 40 degrees I'd do it. Right now there's no way I would unless it would be an emergency.  The heat never stops me from my normal routine.

Now when it comes to my normal exercise routine it has to get fairly extreme to stop me from doing something outside. I may cut back the miles or alter where I run because of the cold. I may use it for an excuse to work on speed in the gym on a TM or to do more weights, but I never truly stop running outside unless it gets to the point that  I don't have the proper gear.  I used to bike outside into the low double digits even with 20 MPH winds, and on snowy, icy roads at that.  For me the deciding factor is mostly the wind. I HATE wind.  Heat really doesn't change what I do at all.

AT-runner

Tim

AT:  Going to sign up for Mt Hood 50 miler lottery this weekend...hint, hint..

Just went to website, and it opens on Monday, 1/8/18.  I'm Zero for 3 with Oregon race lotteries, so might throw my hat in. I'm due for some good luck.

Sandy-2

Sandy:  Enjoy your lunch date...it's nice meeting up with others..gets you to do it.  I would love to have a gym buddy.

It was like a lunch date!!  The main instigator used to be a personal trainer, but I think she was trying to kill me.  Actually it was really good and she showed us some additional mobility / stretching things.  She said I needed a lot of work to loosen up my quads, butt and lower back since I do so much running. So true.

I agree, it is always better when there are others there to push you (and make sure you show up  ).

tbd.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

It's close to the Kids..kid.

Just went to website, and it opens on Monday, 1/8/18.  I'm Zero for 3 with Oregon race lotteries, so might throw my hat in. I'm due for some good luck.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Oh how I wish I had an indoor track to run on. That's probably blasphemy on a trails forum. The wind and cold encouraged me to turn back and finish with only 1.6 miles. The wind gusts had me literally running in place, and I mean literally, not the incorrect usage as a synonym for figuratively or virtually. All the snow blown back across the roads made the footing treacherous as well

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

GC100k

I'd hoped to do a long trail run this weekend, but obligations and logistics won't allow it even if the weather did. So I ran on the indoor track. Did 45 min this morning and then 90 min at noon. Will likely do another indoor track run tomorrow. There are nice new treadmills in front of a glass wall with a scenic view 100 ft away from the track, but I'd rather go round and round and round than get on the tmill.

I HATE cold weather. Actually, I will run in cold sometimes, I just bundle myself up to an exaggerated degree. But I stay out of it as much as possible and it does keep me from doing things I'd do otherwise.

Rest day today, 22k race tomorrow.  It's been raining most of the day so the trails will be nice and juicy and slick tomorrow.  

Queen, AT -- I did Mt. Hood 50 in 2016.  Really enjoyed it.  I'm not putting my name in again, I feel pretty good about getting off the waitlist for TRT 50 since I'm number 20.

QOTD: Extreme temperatures?  Hmmm, really not an issue here on the coast in NorCal.  It can get into the 100s over the hill, which would kill me. So, I don't run there.  Few places around here even have air conditioning, including ours, so if it got super hot, it would definitely get in the way of life activities.  Same for cold, not something anyone here is equipped to deal with, including me.  All things considered, I think I'd prefer cold to heat.  You can keep putting layers on but you can only take so much off.  

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR