Trailer Trash

Mondaily 5/14 (Read 20 times)

XtremeTaper

Congrats to all our racers... I think Queenie was up in Bend drinking craft beer and running at Smith Rock. Jealous.

Damp and grey here this weekend but I had a couple of nice runs regardless. Saturday, 7 miles at French Creek on the Six Penny Loop to take in the wild orchids. They were out in force, and ran into a group of folks out doing a count. They said they counted 88 last year and were well on their way to matching or exceeding that number. I had to reroute my planned loop as their was a mountain bike race taking place. I had to run with the bikers for 1/2 mile. LOL, one guy was recovering from a steep uphill and I could have passed him but though it would have been poor form, especially since a downhill was coming up. Good run in mild humid conditions. Yesterday, was 11 miles with the Lady and some Traildawgs down in Fair Hill MD. Actually a 2 state run as we wandered the northern border into PA for a bit. Great day for running in the morning, cool grey and humid, but oddly the park was empty. Mother's Day I guess.

QOTD: Thoughts in general about running races you've done in the past that you know you will be slower at if you run them again. Do you avoid them, or run them anyways, or any other comments?

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Daydreamer1

Sitting at work with a hurting left ankle.  I wouldn't be one bit surprised with the next time I "run" will be June 9th at Rothrock.

QOTD:  It's all about the trip and the longer it takes to get to the destination the more time you have to enjoy the trip.

I never was fast and I doubt I'll ever be fast so doing a race slower then the previous time really doesn't matter to me.

AT-runner

Tim

Was going to rest today, but might have time to run tonight after work. Thunderstorms in forecast all week, so they will determine if I get out or not.

Sue, George, Mike, Bert and Craig - nice job this weekend. Anyone else race (Gatsby?)

QOTD:  If I like the race, I'll run. I'm slower in all of my old ones. I'd hate to see how slow I'd run Chicago  Marathon now, but that would require me to run on the roads.  Long Ultra's are harder to tell if I'm slower because conditions impact them so much more than shorter races.  I have no problem being slower now. I have friends who race depending on if they can AG or not. That never bothered me.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

SRD for me, taking a bit of a cut back week this week. Big miles (for me) last week at 53. Had a fun trail marathon on Sat., 3rd female (out of 5) and 2nd in AG. Gotta love small races.   The goal was to get in some hill work and the race did not disappoint, with about 5200’ of climbing.

Bert-o and DD, wow, sounds like a tough day at Montour.

WC, WTG on getting 50k done despite lots of challenges.

Queen, Warden, how did your races go?

QOTD: as a solid mid-to-back of the packer, I’m not too worried about being slow.  My strategy is to show up and hope that the faster folks don’t. 

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

AT-runner

Tim

Had a fun trail marathon on Sat., 3rd female (out of 5) and 2nd in AG. Gotta love small races  The goal was to get in some hill work and the race did not disappoint, with about 5200’ of climbing.

Fixed your post. 

Sounds like a fun day on the hills.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

XtremeTaper

I guess I should answer my own QOTD.

QOTD: It doesn't bother me so much in the longer races and in fact I ran Laurel Highlands Ultra many years in a row thinking my best time on that course was behind me but lo and behold set a personal best there during my last try in 2015 beating a much younger faster self. Maybe one of favorite personal bests as I chipped away at it for 3 years. The shorter local races though I seem to have a mental block of "why bother" if I've run the course before and do not expect to run a similar time to the past few years. I've done it obviously and consoled myself with potential AG placings and looking at race times in that regard, but now I wonder if I can use that escape anymore. I've been mulling this over as I might jump into a short local race this weekend and worry about running a slow time. Perhaps I can just use the "run as workout" mindset. I know... I am weird. It's just running!

In dog beers, I've only had one.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

4 miles with Tiny Elvis yesterday evening, something similar this evening.

Gatsby- nice work   mine went well, roughly top third- which is a big win for me

qotd: my races are picked on what I enjoy running (and seeing)- a little challenging never hurts either; I’m slow too so no real concern as to how I finish vs previous races

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Had a follow up appointment at my doctor's office with  n associate rather than my regular doctor. She was booked solid and couldn't fit me in this week at all. The ER doctor definitely wanted me to see my doctor today or tomorrow as strongly and explicitly stated in the discharge instructions. All cleared but but he wants me to wait another day or two before resuming recovery and training.

qotd: I've been dealing with running slower times for years. My peak years were 1970-1981. For about 10-12 years after that I was chasing AG equivalents but now I'm no where close even to those. The last time I set an AG best was age 46 in 1993. Now I pick my races for scenery or whether it's in a good vacation locale or for meeting up with trail and ultra runner friends.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

GC100k

Tried running this afternoon. Did a squat/deadlift workout this morning and the legs were not obeying this afternoon. Scheduling running with lifting is a work in progress.

QOTD: Never raced until 10 years and 50 lbs after I started running. Never had a decent PR, so I could probably set one now even after 30 years of running if I were to get skinny and train hard. Age is a minor factor compared to everything else. I was a D1 jumper in college, but that was a different world and a different body, I don't really think about that or compare to now.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Daydreamer - Hope that ankle gets better.  Tough conditions for it this weekend, but way to stick it out!

LB2 - RE: maps.  I can see it being a very useful skill when sending or receiving fire.  Remind me to stand behind you.

warden - Nice kilt!  Drink more and you'll think about how you sit less.  Who knows, some might appreciate it.

AT - Chicago?  Not New York?  Hmmm....

Gatsby - Nice job on that trail marathon!  Solid elevation too.  Shit, I'd take a AG or any placement any day.  i see old farts dust me left and right, so my hopes are pretty low.

WC - Glad the doc gave you the green light.  Hope you rest and recover well before you start training again.

XT - I'm with you on the "why bother" in the shorter races, unless you just want the t-shirt.  Otherwise, you can do that on your own.

Rest day for me.  Don't really feel tired or sore today, which means I pansy-assed my way at Montour.  Will start running again tomorrow.

QOTD:  Similar to GC, I'd been running for many years before racing.  Never thought of myself as a runner either.  Only after my first marathon in 2014 did I start to think about time and take it seriously.  I'm pretty sure I raced about as fast as I ever will by now, so any repeats will be for fun unless it's a low gravity day and I'm feeling spectacular, which never happens, btw.  At least not both on the same day.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

LB2

LB2 - RE: maps.  I can see it being a very useful skill when sending or receiving fire.  Remind me to stand behind you.

Ha. Even the officers would double check with me on grid coords. I really focused on that stuff, and it has served me well in hunting, too.

I did not run on Monday.

QOTD: I always think I can do better next time, so I don't avoid them if I am interested in running it again.

LB2