Trailer Trash

Mad Monday (Read 20 times)

LB2

I ran 5 early. It was sort of cool out there this morning, around 65 or so according to my thermometer. The news said was 68. FAKE NEWS!!! By the way, I'm not mad, but it seems like everyone is pissed about something these days.

QOTD: What are your thoughts on tapering?

I think it is important, but I never seem to get it right. Most of the time, I am so run down by the time the race is 30 days out I tend to taper too early. However, I don't think that will be the case this time. I believe I have done a pretty good job of building slowly. I won't start a taper for my November 4 race until around October 15. I will do my longest run of this training phase at the end of this week. After that, it is maybe a 50K and back to back 20's. Then, I'll back off the last couple of weeks.

LB2

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

had a nice Sunday- got a 9-ish mile run in with a buddy, got a 3-ish mile hike with the grandkids, my youngest got some "noculars" for her birthday so we had to break those in, when we got home we picked up Tiny E from the boarding kennel and he desperately needed an outing so 3-ish miles in with him

qotd: I definitely don't have the taper thing down, I'm starting to lean less taper

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Daydreamer1

Sitting in Ottawa Illinois getting ready for the last leg of the trip home. So if you were thinking about ransacking the house before I get back you have about 12 hours to do so.........................just beware DD says she has a itchy trigger finger , she only had to deal with some bees getting in the house while we were gone.

LB2 - QUIT WATCHING THE NEWS..........They design it to make you angry.  Should charge most of them with inciting violence.  BTW, the temps are always manipulated somewhat. Last week Jasper didn't get above 35 on any thermometer that I could see but the "news" reports a high of 44. It fits their narrative.

QOTD: I feel like a true taper is a waste for me. When I taper then I feel like I'm starting all over. What seems to work best is to take a break about a month before the race then start building again. I've never done that perfectly but next year I really want to try to take my cutback week 3-4 weeks before my long race then build up to where I'm running 40 mpw again right before the race with a long run 4-5 days before. Seems like my body goes into sleep mode really quickly.

runtraildc

Morning folks. Finished my 5 mile road race yesterday in heat and humidity. It was a sufferfest and one of my worst runs of the year. HOWEVER, they have a great post-race party and lots of swag and beer. And we run with friends and make a beach weekend out of it so minus the race, it was a lot of fun. I don't know what today will bring as my cold has now moved into my chest. I am technically still streaking until the end of the year, despite taking a few days off last week as I was sick. With this in mind, I will get out for a few miles.

MT- great pic with the little one!

AT- to answer your question from the other day-- Lewes/Cape Henlopen. CH is my favorite beach & park along the delmarva.

qotd: I don't race the distances that most of you run, so a taper is really not relevant to me. Any 'taper' I may do only involves taking it easy the week before.

muppy

5.5 trail miles last night.

MT, such a happy puppy!

QOTD I usually try for a 2 week type of taper. I’m lazy so I really embrace it!

LB2

QOTD: I feel like a true taper is a waste for me. When I taper then I feel like I'm starting all over. What seems to work best is to take a break about a month before the race then start building again. I've never done that perfectly but next year I really want to try to take my cutback week 3-4 weeks before my long race then build up to where I'm running 40 mpw again right before the race with a long run 4-5 days before. Seems like my body goes into sleep mode really quickly.

I have sort of done that with this race coming up. I have averaged about 50 miles per week for the past couple of months. Last week, I dropped it to like 25 miles, and this week will probably be close to 70 miles, along with next week's 60 miles or so. After that, I'll hit another 50 miles and start a two week taper, like 35 to 40 then 25 to 30. Or something like that. The week of the race will be around 10 to 15 miles, probably 10.

LB2

AT-runner

Tim

Long day with flight home and then catching up all the things we missed while we were gone.

No run today.  Saturday, had a nice run as we explored a nature area. Trails were hardly used since no MTB's and no dogs. That only leaves the 2 footed, so we ran without seeing another person in an incredibly large city. Was pretty nice.

QOTD:  I've done very well since stating to use a 2 week taper. My last long run is always 2 weeks out, and I do 1/2 of that run the week before the race.  My mid week runs cut back slowly during the 2 weeks, and I don't run at all the day before the race. 2 days before is just really light running maybe 3-4 miles tops.  Works well for me, and I feel rested on race day.

Coaching XC, we always had to stagger tapers with the kids since some would make it to states, as their big meet, and others would taper to peak 1 week earlier for District's.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Sandy-2

SRD today.

qotd: I think a 2 week taper works best for me.  I did 20 mi on Saturday and yesterday I 'officially' started my 2 week taper for Arkansas.  I've been doing between 50mpw and some 65-70mpw over the last 2 months including a mid-week 10 miler each week and a few b2b 20 weekends.  Although that does not include any hills at all, it does include some rough temp/humidity conditions down here (including b2b 20s during Hurricane Harvey's rainfall which actually wasn't so bad temp-wise).  Anyway, this week I'll do about 30mpw with next weekend only a 5 mi jaunt each day.  The following week I'll do a few 4 and 3 mile runs, very easy pace, I'll also keep doing my stretching and easy back/core stuff over the two weeks.

More importantly, what will the temps be...... ?

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I planned on running but didn't.  Will go to the gym at lunch.  Ran 13 yesterday and felt like I was in Wyoming.  It was 38 degrees, light dusting of snow, and frozen puddles.  Some pictures below...but my iphone4 sucks!!!

QOTD:  I'm pretty good at it! 

MT:  Love the Grampa picture.

Image may contain: sky, mountain, tree, cloud, plant, outdoor and nature

Since Tiny Elvis made an appearance, here is Earl.

No automatic alt text available.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

LB2

qotd: I think a 2 week taper works best for me.  I did 20 mi on Saturday and yesterday I 'officially' started my 2 week taper for Arkansas.  I've been doing between 50mpw and some 65-70mpw over the last 2 months including a mid-week 10 miler each week and a few b2b 20 weekends.  Although that does not include any hills at all, it does include some rough temp/humidity conditions down here (including b2b 20s during Hurricane Harvey's rainfall which actually wasn't so bad temp-wise).  Anyway, this week I'll do about 30mpw with next weekend only a 5 mi jaunt each day.  The following week I'll do a few 4 and 3 mile runs, very easy pace, I'll also keep doing my stretching and easy back/core stuff over the two weeks.

More importantly, what will the temps be...... ?

I agree that the temps will be the most important thing at Arkansas Traveler. It could go either way. I went up there one year (2003) during the middle of April to go turkey hunting. The first morning of the hunt it was literally blowing snow. The next day was t-shirt weather. It could be the same extremes in early October.

LB2

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Sue- looks like Earl and Elvis would get along fine 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

AT-runner

Tim

Sue- looks like Earl and Elvis would get along fine 

Tiny E probably needs a younger dog like Earl to hang out with.  Tiny E's dos's got some extra duty energy.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway!