Trailer Trash

the official (yes official!) 2018 Trailer Trash Rondy! (Read 48 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

NH is going to be in Colorado in September, he mentioned the Pawnee- Buchanan Loop in the Indian Peaks Wilderness- 27 miles and one that is on my to do list.  I would also consider the Four Pass Loop in the Maroon Bells Wilderness- also 27 miles, also on my to do list.

I think NH has already done Four Pass iirc.

Mid September I could probably get away w/o too much effort, preferably a weekend (with some travel on either end).

If I was a real stud I'd consider doing both, but they are by all accounts pretty tough (but very pretty ) routes, so just one for me with maybe a shorter route somewhere close by for day 2, maybe a peak bag???????

What say you Trailer Trash, anyone interested?

Mike

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

NorthernHarrier

Well I would love to do the Pawnee loop as my top choice though I would welcome any other suggestions. Yeah, I did the 4 pass loop a few years back and it was incredible. I believe we calculated it at just under 28 miles and I believe the vertical is around 8500'. The climbs up the passes are for real. Certainly would never mind doing it again but I believe the Pawnee loop may be just a tad easier though still pretty challenging. Real challenging really.  There are several Nat'l forest campsites in relative proximity and 3 of them are reservable. As far as the 4 pass loop there is no convenient camping and I can't afford lodging in Aspen(duh).

Near the Pawnee trailhead there is another loop called the High Lonesome loop, roughly 16 miles with a couple sidetrips off the main loop as addt'l options. Deep snow stopped me from doing that route last summer as you climb up to and run on the divide.

Staying somewhat close by going north near Estes Park there is another run called the Lumpy Ridge loop. This route was highly recommended to me by someone who ran it. A little over 10 miles with several advisable sidetrips off the main loop. It enters Rocky Mtn. Park on the northeast corner.

Near the 4 pass loop is another loop run of 22 miles, the Snowmass-Willow Lake loop that looks intriguing.

Located within Rocky Mtn. park are some more options and some point to point runs in there can be done utilizing their shuttle system.

These routes and tons more can be viewed on the Trail Run Project site.

Lots of potential out there.

Adding--the peak bagging comment just caught my eye. That sounds very cool too. There are a number of 14ers not all that far from there heading south.

AT-runner

Tim

DW and I are mildly interested. For my work, I’d have to take off a week and travel on the weekends. So that would mean leaving late Friday night or early Saturday and returning the following Sunday.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Sandy-2

Interested, but I probably won't be able to make it due to my planned trip to Utah the last week of Sept. for da Bear.

tbd.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I am also interested.....

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I think this would be one to remember; everything I've read puts this near the top for adventure runs    add in a little camping, maybe bag a 14er- sounds pretty good to me

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Definitely interested but unsure if it's doable for me.  So I will stay tuned for now...

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Sadly, I don't think I can make it.  Looked more closely at the month of September.  Realized that my DH and I are going to the Philippines the last week of September.  That plus T200 volunteering means the month is already getting too busy for another getaway.   

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

NorthernHarrier

I think I mentioned in one of the dailies that I was waiting on a 50k to announce their date and if they are on for 2018 and I just saw that they are opening registration on 2/15 with a race date of 9/8 so that sets me up for doing the Pawnee-Buchanan loop on or about 9/15 so that's what will work for me. If anyone else can be out there it would be awesome. If you would be out there and need any camping equipment I could bring out extra tents, bags, pads etc.

Also was looking at some 14ers nearby the camping in proximity to the run and Torrey and Gray are about an hours drive with the grouping around Quandry just a little further. When I have a little more time I'll do some more research.

BTW, the 50k I'll be doing is the Devil on the Divide near Empire which is a little off the interstate maybe 40 miles west of Denver.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I'm going to mark the middle of September off

Can't go a year without a good bromance  

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

want to keep this on the first page so folks can think about an epic couple of days in Colorado 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

AT-runner

Tim

That race looks pretty fun for a flatlander.  See only 17 crazy people  runners signed up for the 50k so far.  What is you time frame in CO?

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I have it penciled in...

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

NorthernHarrier

That race looks pretty fun for a flatlander.  See only 17 crazy people  runners signed up for the 50k so far.  What is you time frame in CO?

Looking at the Devil on the Divide results from other years it looks like they get about 80 finishers. The course looks awesome but yeah, a little bit of altitude for a flatlander. I'll be out a week before climbing 14ers and then the following week doing some more hiking and running leading up to the Buchanan/Pawnee loop run on about the 15th depending on Wardens or anyone else's schedule.