Trailer Trash

Ch-ch-chilly Sundaily (Read 27 times)

moonlightrunner

It is 29 degrees here today. Eventually that will seem balmy compared to what they say is coming this winter...but right now it seems cold to me.

Last night I had a nice 18 miler at the state park. When I finished the first loop it was 615 and still light out. I was amazed how good I felt at that point. Makes me think I have a pretty good base. By 7pm I hauled out my hand held. Dead as a doornail! I fished out my headlamp...it was on battery saving mode. I was very worried it would die. The woods I run in is very thick. Even with a headlamp it is difficult in places to find the trail with the heavy cover of fallen leaves. By around mile15 I was worried how I was going to make my way should my lamp fail. It was hard going as it was. I seem to take very short, choppy strides in the dark. But...with only 1fall..I made it out and my headlamp lasted. I bought batteries on my way home!

Qotd: While on the subject of cold weather...when out for a long run in cold weather, is there a need to somehow protect extra batteries from being drained by the cold? Im not sure how long it takes the cold to drain a battery. I do know cold drains my cell phone in a hurry. I carry it in a baggie and tuck it into my bra...is there a better and more comfortable way to prevent loss of battery power? I run alone in the woods at night and need a working cell phone.

I hope you all have a great day. It promises to be a perfect fall day today...here anyway. Planning 10 on the bike path in the late afternoon.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

LB2

Wow. 29*? It was closer to 79 on my run last night. And I think it is about 80 this morning. I'll probably get about 5 later. My taper starts tomorrow.

QOTD: It isn't much of a concern for me. I am not sure.

LB2

Sandy-2

Did 5 early this morning.  Last few miles with a few friends.

Get on the flight to Korea later this morning.  Hopefully typhoon Vongfong won't affect me too much, but we are supposed to arrive in Tokyo at the same time...  I see a diversion in my future.

qotd: doesn't affect me either.

tbd.

runtraildc

Morning folks- got in a speedy 3.5 miles yesterday on trails at the pool.  Ran fast because I needed to fit it in between swim events, but it turned out I could have gone longer.  Very long meet, but I can't complain since I was sitting inside  while the soccer parents were out in the rain, wind and cold all day for their tournament.

Moonlight-- dying batteries are the worst.  Ok, maybe not but it's still stressful, wondering if you'll have enough juice and worrying about getting lost.

LB- congrats on the taper

Sandy- good luck on the move.  I hope the diversion and possible delays aren't too bad.  I saw a satellite image of that typhoon on Friday-- just amazing!

qotd:  I don't really have any good advice or experience on this one.  I am not out long enough to worry about it.

Have a good day, trailers!

NorthernHarrier

Only got down to 38F here and another stellar day on tap. Hard to believe I drove up in a mini blizzard a week ago.  Nothing major planned today, just some chores and mtn. biking. Running wise I may do a 4-5 miler if I have time. Probably.Or I might just sit on the deck and watch the leaves fall.   I do have to start dismantling my old trailer for scrap metal. Could get a few bucks for that and I have a friend that wants the axle and springs. But work out here just never feels like work so it's all good.

Saw another wolf yesterday. Funny, we supposedly have roughly 25-30,000 bear in this state and about 800 wolves and yet I see wolves all the time and seldom a bear. I'd much rather see bears.

QOTD--Not much help for you. I use a rechargeable Black Diamond and I just don't run long enough in the dark at a time where it is an issue.

jonferg67

Endless trails

Morning folks,

A little chilly here today too, 40's when I headed out for an easy 5. I have a

nice 5 mile out n back that goes up to the Big Hill shelter, this morning

there were 3 groups of campers just getting up when I came through.

QOTD: I don't have any advice for saving battery life, I don't run long in the

dark.

Brian Runner

Paced a friend to his first mountain run finish this morning, a 4:10 at the Green Monster 25k. Yeah, it was chilly. Thick layer of frost for the drive out, but the running conditions were great.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Got a nice 6 miles in this afternoon, tomorrow I have a really nice run planned in the Crazies- going to be a run/fish/run/fish/run if all goes to plan

In really cold weather use lithium batteries, much better performance in the cold- as bonus they are ~ 35% lighter to boot!

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Back on trails at Valley Forge again, about half on flat crushed stone and half on single and double track. I could get to enjoy this as long as I don't trip, fall, and break something.

QOTD: My Garmin is the only thing I wear or carry on a run that has batteries, so I really have nothing to contribute.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

LB2

Get on the flight to Korea later this morning.  Hopefully typhoon Vongfong won't affect me too much, but we are supposed to arrive in Tokyo at the same time...  I see a diversion in my future.

Sandy: If you run into my former girlfriend, Sum Yung Ho, tell her I said Hi. Thanks Buddy!!! Have a safe trip.

LB2