Trailer Trash

The Saturdaily (Read 32 times)

Sandy-2

Got up early and ran 10 miles. Nice and chilly this morning, I guess about 39 deg F. Then joined a bunch of folks in the Dept for a hike. We went along the shoreline for about 6 miles. Here are some photos from the hike.

At the start, near the Busan Harbor.

Here's one of area where my apartment is, my building is the lower white building sort of in the middle. BTW, my lower building has 40 floors, the others have about 70 or 80 floors. The little hill in the background on the left is the start of the trail system.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

Occasional Runner

21 intense miles today. The first 7 were a mix of roads and trail, focusing on speed. The last 14 were focusing on vertical gain and technical downhills. It's a gorgeous morning in the mountains!

QOTD: When is it appropriate to put up your Christmas tree and outside decorations?

I firmly believe it MUST NOT happen before Thanksgiving, but I can already see the lights going up in my neighborhood. I blame the Mormons and all their damn kids.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Happy weekend, gang!  I had a really nice little 9.3 mile trail run on the Ice Age Trail with NorthernHarrier this morning. Freaking cold out there, but we didn't get shot by any hunters and Harrier asked me if I had lost weight (his wife must have him well trained!)  We averaged 12mm or so.  Not too bad for a couple of gimps.

QOTD: Never.    Uhhhh, yeah, definitely AFTER Thanksgiving.  I feel like some people's lights have been up since Halloween.

Running is dumb.

runtraildc

Hi everyone!  DS and I worked at an aid station for Stone Mill this am; just got back.  Great day for the race- cool, sunny, dry and not so windy.   Heading out to another oyster roast later this afternoon, so I'll be getting out the door shortly for a quick run.   busy day. and fun.

qotd:  Anything obviously religious or Santa-oriented, after Thanksgiving.  However,  I don't mind generic lights up before then since it really brightens things up.  I'm noticing a trend in our neighborhood that folks are also leaving the lights up well into January, and I like that for the same reason.  Especially needed in January.  Just take down the Hannukah and Xmas symbols right after the holiday.

Daydreamer1

Heading out for a nice 7-8 mile run. Distance depends on what DW decides to do. If she goes for a walk and meets me the mileage will be a little more.

QOTD: I don't put up any outside lights anymore. But if I did they would go up before it got cold. That way I could sit inside in the warm laughing at everyone else struggling to put theirs up when it's windy, snowy, and freezing .  I wouldn't necessarily turn them on until after Thanksgiving but at least they'd be up. That's the redneck way!!!

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Busy, busy weekend at work, and I'm running on 3 hours of sleep last night. DD had a football game with the marching band, so I had to pick her up shortly before midnight, and then she was all frozen. Of course I don't send my baby daughter (well, teenager in her prime years) to bed without warming her up first, and then I had to get up early for work, and that's how I ended up feeling run over by a truck this morning.

Maybe a run later in the afternoon.

Sandy: Wonderful pictures! Those coastlines are just beautiful, any time of year.

Kelly: Nice miles. Any race on the horizon?

Mandy: Easy on the hip. There'll be plenty of opportunities for longer runs once you have gotten adjusted to distance again.

Nancy: Stone Mill, woo-hoo. Thanks for volunteering. I just thought about that race today, I'd like to run it again sometime.

DD1: Enjoy your run, whatever the distance!

QOTD: Coming from a culture where Christmas is celebrated on Christmas Eve, and the Christmas tree is set up the morning of that same day (then remains until New Year's, or January 6th), setting up a tree in late November or early December seems very strange to me. However, being an enthusiastic cultural transplant adamant about assimilating, I always try to set up the tree and decorations right after Thanksgiving.

Can't do it before, as Thanksgiving is also "new" to me, so I need to extensively celebrate both occasions, and then - again "new" - Halloween before that as well.

So many celebrations, so little time. It's a steep learning curve.

That said, it usually gets to early December when I set up the tree, and I'm not so adamant at taking it down again after Christmas - early January works best for me.

We don't do much outdoor decorations, and they usually stay throughout December and January, until evenings fall later, and the glow of the lights is not so magical any more.

Run for fun.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

got some good elevation/miles elk hunting this morning, but no elk

qotd: yes, wait until the turkey is cleaned up

this is for Kelly- "I don't normally hunt elk when it's 12 below, but when I do.................." 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

NorthernHarrier

Great trail run this morning with Mandy. Always a pleasure to run with her.  I normally run solo so it's a real treat to meet up with her on occasion, our steady conversation just makes the miles fly by.  Not sure what I'll do tomorrow now as I just feel trashed right now. Maybe take some Vicadin and do it again.  JK

QOTD--I  get wanting to get things set up while it may still be mild but I sure don't want to see any Christmas stuff happening till black Friday. No outside lights at this household but I will get a tree in early Dec and out it goes around New Years day.

moonlightrunner

10 miles this afternoon on the bike path. It was an OK run. Had a blood sugar problem (due to poor eating before the run) but slow consumption of a GU cured it and the rest of the run was OK.

Sandy: such a beautiful trail! I'm glad your move included a great trail system. How are you and Mrs. Sandy adjusting to the culture? Are there any challenges beyond an occasional AK47?

Lace: sounds like some great miles! Did your dog go with you today?

Mandy & Harrier: how much snow did you have to deal with? Very little here. I kind of wish for more.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I went on a hike with hubby and dog...(yes hubby...) for 6 miles on my favorite trail.  Moss, ferns, water on one side if the river and dry dirt and digger pines on the other...

qOTD:  haven't done anything in years but think I will light the tree at the end of driveway tomorrow so when I come home from work at night I am treated with some trinkle.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Sandy-2

I did a nice 15 miler up on the big hill this morning (Sunday).  I finally made it around the "big circle" that I was trying to do.  It was really nice, but unfortunately the last 1/3 of the loop has to be run on a road to get back.  It's not a bad road but I would have preferred a trail option, but there just isn't one.  At least that I have found....  yet.  Anyway, I was able to circumvent the guards by going well around their whole compound.  I did find a close in dirt road of sorts, but it really isn't long enough.

I actually saw a deer today, the first one, didn't know that they had them here.  I also encountered a whole bunch of spiders when I was exploring a side trail.  They looked like the banana spiders back in TX, except their bodies were greener, so I didn't get too excited.  They are just large, but shy.  Just looked them up and found the following...  ooooops.

"There is only one Korean spider that causes a reaction in humans from its poisonous venom; the banana spider. Nephila clavata's bite causes localized pain and swelling. It bite feels like a bee sting, although some people experience nausea and dizziness. For the most part, the banana spider is not aggressive and is usually reluctant to bite."

FTYC: yes the coastline is really beautiful in spots.

moonlight: I've lived here before and have no problems at all with the culture.  One thing to note is they really like to go hiking and use their trails a lot, since I run on the trails I like to get done sort of early in the day before the masses get out (they are generally late risers here).  I feel that it is good for me to run on less crowded trails and it is nice for them because they don't have some runner barreling down their trails.  Win-win.

Mrs. Sandy isn't here yet because she is taking care of some stuff back home.  But she also lived here before.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

Occasional Runner

Kelly: Nice miles. Any race on the horizon?

I'm trying to get fit for the Cajun Coyote 100 in December. I won that race last year and want a good showing this year.