Trailer Trash

Indecision Tuesdalies (Read 38 times)

Daydreamer1

I was planning on a long trail run this morning. However, my legs are feeling beat up and tired and I'm generally lacking motivation. So when I seen that it  was raining I started to waver. Do I go out on the trails or do an easier day around the house? At this point it looks like the easier day is winning out, especially since Accuweather shows heavier rain in the area I was going to run. Yea I know I'm being wimpy today Roll eyes.

QOTD: How long does it take for you to lose fitness if your not running?

For me it doesn't take long. My mileage for the past month has been way down. At one point I hadn't run or biked for 11 days. All my other runs were short and I did a lot of sitting. Now that I'm getting back into the groove I feel like I'm just starting out again. No power or stamina. I  was always told  that having a long rest period, with only light activity,  should leave you feeling refreshed, but it never seems to work that way for me. Anything more then several days off and I really lose fitness. I seem to remember something from my days of hanging out on the biking forums where some people claimed that anything over a 2 week layoff resulted in a fitness drop of 50%. That seems about how it works for me.

Brian Runner

About to head off to work for the day. Tuesday evening is our running club's group run and picnic at Mt. Pisgah St. Park so I'll probably log about 7 easy miles this evening.

XtremeTaper

Hey Dreamer, get in a few miles today wherever/whenever you can. You will feel better.

Run last night was rather pleasant and a bit surprising after Sunday's long slog, or maybe because of it? Just a short run of about an hour in length on the wilder (ie hillier rocky) side of the Green Lane Reservoir. Legs felt loose and a bit zippy and even worked a couple of hills instead of just shuffling up them. Felt good. THe Lady was impressed. Maybe a short run or just weights later today. I am in a cutback week. Nearly taper time. Hahaha.

QOTD: This not running does not compute. I think the longest period I've gone without running since I started a decade plus ago is 3-4 weeks. My aerobic base/endurance stays intact. The thing that I lose more quickly is speed/turnover. It's laziness on my part caused by not doing the workouts that keep that going.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Good morning guys! Rest for me today even though I was suppose to get in an early morningtrail run.  Thunder and lightning in the area so I went back to bed.  I could have gone to the gym but...

Agree with Xtaper - DD go for a run even if it's not long.

QOTD: Something I have been thinking about myself.  I have been trying to balance rest and run time with lingering foot issues since last summer.  It's debatable how the rest is helping my feet.  PT seemed to indicate that taking an "indefinite" amount of time off would not necessarily help.  So I keep running.  I think a week off is ok once in a while and doesn't take away too much from fitness.  My opinion is anything beyond that starts chipping away at fitness.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

LB2

Rest today. I have too much going on with work and won't have time. Yesterday I ran a couple of loops that were not great; legs felt dead. However, I did do even splits down to the second. They were slow, but I think running the even splits like that was a positive.

QOTD: I think that endurance builds slowly and fades slowly. I think most of the reduction we believe happens with a couple of weeks or even a month or so off is mental. The reason I believe this is based on what I have read and what I have experienced. Rest is important. I am not saying that a month off won't result in some decrease in fitness/endurance/strength, but I don't think it is as profound as we allow ourselves to believe.

LB2

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Good Morning,

A day off work, and I'm taking advantage of that. After I fell asleep on the couch last night at around 7:30, I slept in today until 8. That makes it 12+ hours of sleep, should be good enough to carry me through a longer run today. Planning on heading out into the rain soon.

DD1: As good as it feels at the moment to skimp on the run, it may feel worse later in the day. So pick yourself up and run just a lap around the hood, the rest is optional (and once you've started, you'll feel good, rain or not, and just keep going).

Brian: Have a fun group run later!

Taper: Great that you had an awesome run just after a not-so-awesome one. Gives you lots of motivation again!

Jamie: Thunder and lightning, isn't that frightening? Wink Enjoy the rest!

QOTD: I have noticed that when I don't do any kind of training, just sit around and rest, my fitness is gone within 4 weeks. That happened when I was forced to rest after injuries, I could barely run a whole mile, then had to walk, yet still was able to repeat this 3 or 4 times. However, I always build up quickly again after such a break, and I'm back to racing HM distances within 3 or 4 weeks, and longer within 10 weeks or so.

I've had some years in between when I did not run, and my fitness stayed at an acceptable level, for someone who does not work out. I also built up fairly quickly when I started running again. Probably a result of having done some kind of sports since I was a child for most of the time, and still not being sedentary when I'm not doing "sports" (I go for walks, ride the bike for recreation or smaller errands, run around with the kids,... such things).

Run for fun.

The pooch and I had a nice rainy 5 mile trail run this morning.

QOTD: I have no idea.  When I have a break from running it is usually to bike, hike, or something else.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Morning Trailers!

Ended up doing 7 around the neighborhood yesterday.  As I was exiting the "trail" section of the park, which is kind of hidden, another runner was going past on the road.  She stopped and looked down the trail, but then kept going.  I think/hope I planted the trail running seed in her mind.

Plan for another 7 tonight.

QOTD: I dunno. I take weeks off here and there.  I feel like I can always run 25 miles in a week.  If I want to be able to run 45+ I need a solid month of building up.  If I took a week off after running 45, I could probably jump back in at the same level.  After 2 weeks, It would probably take 2 more weeks to build back up to the 45.

**Ask me about streaking**

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Earl is still tired from our Sunday run.  Hell I am  up and eating and he stills downstairs laying in bed!  I have a plate of eggs and toast sitting here for him.  Soo since he didn't seem to want to get up I decided to kick it this am and will do an after work run with him.  Probably 6.

DD:  Like everyone said go run.  You are always so busy that if you skip a run on this day off, your gonna be pissed at yourself when you go to bed tonight.

QOTD: In the last 6 years I haven't taken more then a week off.  Not much damage, in fact felt really good when I started back up.  So I am guessing 2 weeks is the number to start losing fitness.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

sugnim

Good morning.  I noticed that the sun is definitely coming up later in the mornings now.  I went out for a quick 4 miles this morning before work and the sun was still not over the mountains when I got back home at 6:45.  I prefer running during brighter times of the day, but it is still way too hot for me to get back into evening runs.

QOTD:  I have no idea.  I guess it depends on what you mean by "fitness."  I took about 2 months off at the beginning of this year due to some stomach issues I was having.  I didn't gain weight, but I did need to start a little slower and at a lower mileage once I got back into things, partly because I didn't want an injury and partly because I was still having stomach issues.  I guess I'm not sure how to measure fitness.  For me, running is mostly about having fun and being outside.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Bike commute to work for me.  It's going to be a gorgeous week here in Wisconsin.

QOTD: What LB2 said.  I've had a total of two injures.  The one now, and the other, which was fairly routine; I took 4-5 weeks off (I channeled my inner XtremeTaper) right before a 50 miler.  Healed up my shin and was able to complete my 50 miler without any issues.  It didn't feel like I lost any endurance.  Based on science and studies conducted, I believe we start to lose "fitness" after 5 days of rest, but that's all road running speedwork VO2 max mumbo jumbo that I don't pay attention to.  Based on personal experience, I think if you have a strong base, that will preserve things for a while.

Running is dumb.

DigDug2

6.7 mi in the fog and rain this a.m.  It's going to rain all day but then be 51 degrees tomorrow morning.  51!  I love August.

QOTD:  I feel like I start losing fitness after a couple of weeks of no running.  I rarely do this - I'm either very consistent or I end up taking off 6 months or more, after which I've completely lost all of my fitness.  (I've been on the consistent side for the past 18 months.)

NorthernHarrier

I am now a working stiff again. Oh well.  Took a low level delivery type gig for now to get back in the groove but I don't know for how long or anything. It's already getting in the way of things. Smile  So I have time for some weights and then mow the lawn, do the work gig, and then if I'm lucky before dark I'll hit the trails at Indian lake later. Haven't been on those in awhile.

QOTD--After never taking more than a week off in 30 years of running I have had a couple long periods off in the last two and a half to three years. In my case a lot of fitness was lost each time and at my age it is slow to return. And I agree with Xtreme Taper-losing turnover and leg speed is a bitch.   Always keep in mind that while you can sometimes regain cardio pretty quick extended time off will set you up for other injuries as you start back up as your body has to readapt and regain the ability to knock out the miles.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I am now a working stiff again. Oh well.  Took a low level delivery type gig for now to get back in the groove but I don't know for how long or anything. It's already getting in the way of things. Smile 

Sorry to hear you got the job.  Wink

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

AT-runner

Tim

We got hammered with rain last night and early this morning, so I had a very muddy 2 hour run today.  Streams were up over the trail in a few sections, and a lot of blow downs to duck under and jump over.

QOTD:  I took off 10 days after knee surgery (scope for torn miniscus) a few years ago and that's the only break I've had in decades.  If I keep my mileage down for a bit, it takes several weeks to ramp back up.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway!