Trailer Trash

Thursday (Read 30 times)

dpc3

Quick 4 miles with the devil dog on the trails under headlamp. I was reminded yesterday of a quote that I think many of you might enjoy and relate to. Think about it as you sit or stand at your desk working away thinking about running trails.

QOTD: One final paragraph of advice do not burn yourself out. Be as I am - a reluctant enthusiast...... a part time crusader, a half-hearted fanatic. Save the other half of yourselves and your lives for pleasure and adventure. It is not enough to fight for the land, it is even more important to enjoy it. While you can. While it's still here. SO get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends, ramble out yonder and explore the forest, climb the mountains, bag the peaks, run the rivers, breathe deep and that yet sweet and lucid air, sit quietly for a while and contemplate the precious stillness, the lovely, mysterious, and awesome space. Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to the body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much; I promise you this one sweet victory over out enemies, over those desk-bound men and women with theirs hearts in a safe deposit box, and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this; you will outlive the bastards,

AT-runner

Tim

Early 5 miles for me today to beat the heat and humidity. Didn't work, it was hot already.

dpc3 - Where did Abbey use that quote?  Thanks for the reminder to revisit Desert Solitaire it on my Kindle. Great read for a Trail Runner or any outdoor enthusiast.

“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.”  - Edward Abbey

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

dpc3

dpc3 - Where did Abbey use that quote?  Thanks for the reminder to revisit Desert Solitaire it on my Kindle. Great read for a Trail Runner or any outdoor enthusiast.

“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.”  - Edward Abbey

It's from a speech to environmentalists in Missoula, Montana, and in Colorado, which was published in High Country News, (24 September 1976), under the title "Joy, Shipmates, Joy!", as quoted in Saving Nature's Legacy : Protecting and Restoring Biodiversity (1994) by Reed F. Noss, Allen Y. Cooperrider, and Rodger Schlickeisen. It's something I had to read while in school as a Wildlife Ecology student. <small>

No running lately for the pooch and me, but figured I would check in.  There has been a long string of obstacles and distractions keeping me off the trails.  Part of it has been moving.  Packing, driving, unpacking, painting, building a wall, and on and on combined with some injuries.  I had some foot problems, then knee pain, and then back pain.

It has been a kind of rough couple weeks, but I hope to get a run in tomorrow morning.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

Daydreamer1

Sitting in our cabin trying to decide what we're going to do today. We have a dinner show planned for this evening, but before that we have to decide on either a hike or a bike ride.

QOTD: Many, many thoughts are going through my head. They all boil down to this. Stop and smell the roses, and, he who dies with the most life experiences wins.  Good QOTD.

Occasional Runner

QOTD: Many, many thoughts are going through my head. They all boil down to this. Stop and smell the roses, and, he who dies with the most life experiences wins.  Good QOTD.

Here's  what I always say...I want to live a life so epic, so unimaginable, that when I'm an old man in a nursing home, sharing my story with others...they'll all think I'm lying.

6 easy trail miles for me this morning.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Here's  what I always say...I want to live a life so epic, so unimaginable, that when I'm an old man in a nursing home, sharing my story with others...they'll all think I'm lying.

Reminds of a Hunter S Thompson quote one of my friends likes to use:

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

Running is dumb.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Nothing profound or even profane or prosaic to add today.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

muppy

5.3 miles on the Horseshoe trail in Hershey.

QOTD (if it was a question?)I try to live my life as I want. I treat everyday as its my last on this earth, and I try to actually do the things that I used to just sit around talking about doing. It's amazing how nice just a simple walk in the woods with a loved one can be!

XtremeTaper

Good morning all.. ran 7.5 with the Lady last night out at Coventry Woods. A light late afternoon thunder boomer cooled things off and there was still a bit of drizzle and rain in the woods while we ran. Plus the fresh lovely smell of the damp forest and a bit more cushy trail due to the moisture. The mountain laurel is blooming here now and I sure hope out in Western PA it's getting ready to start soon. The last few years at Laurel Highland's the blooms have been late. This morning a slow slog of 5 miles out at Monocacy Hill. I am just slow on those wake up and go runs and I don't bother fighting it. Just go out with the dog and get a few miles in. More yard work on tap tonight.. finish up the bulbs.

QOTD: I spend much of my life staring at a computer screen, but the time outdoors is where I live.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

runtraildc

If I say I just ran a 5k, does it sound better than oh, 3 miles or so?  I waited until the humidity subsided, which meant the trade off was heat- 83*.   But, I did get a closeup of a barred owl, which was pretty neat.  A gaggle of crows were chasing it, thus the daylight viewing.

I'm heading to lunch yoga in a minute.  I think low miles and lots of yoga are what is going to fix this tight hamstring/weak glute.

qotd:  I don't think I have anything to add.  I'm happy with what I've got, where I've been and hope to go.

moonlightrunner

WOW! Thanks so much for the quotes!

I have come to an age and point in my life where I treasure each time I am out there. Knowing my physical abilities will fade and some day I might only have my memories of such adventures. I look back on last summer with the adventure of training for my first ultra as a treasured time in my life. I recall when I was doing it that I told myself to treasure and enjoy each moment of it...the good and the bad.

On that note...I had a wonderful 7 mile run last night. It had rained here earlier, making the scents on the lush woodland almost palpable. The temp was perfect. The breeze cooling. It was heaven.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Wow touchy feely morning to you all...I got up and washed the jeep so I will be running my 5 at lunch today.

QOTD:  Great way to start the day DPC

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Hit the trails at Blue Marsh Lake on the way home from a meeting for just under 5 miles - super humid out and deer flies aplenty but I was exploring aimlessly and loving it (until I got back to my car and thought I got a citation for not paying to park - What???? - only a warning.  Guess I won't be parink there any other time)

lace - not sure you have to wait to get old for people to think you're lying when you tell them what you have done and continue to do.

QOTD: Does it count to stare at pictures of the trails when sitting at my computer at work??

Have a great evening!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Hit the trails at Blue Marsh Lake on the way home from a meeting for just under 5 miles - super humid out and deer flies aplenty but I was exploring aimlessly and loving it (until I got back to my car and thought I got a citation for not paying to park - What???? - only a warning.  Guess I won't be parink there any other time)

lace - not sure you have to wait to get old for people to think you're lying when you tell them what you have done and continue to do.

QOTD: Does it count to stare at pictures of the trails when sitting at my computer at work??

Have a great evening!

Jamie - you forgot to warn me about the deer flies before my long run at Blue Marsh last weekend   We don't get bugs like that in Philly! I spent a fair amount of time cursing the flies, but in the end, they just made me run faster haha.

Today I ran 6 unremarkable miles before work to beat the heat.

QOTD: I agree!