Trailer Trash

Snow and Ice Weekender (Read 17 times)

AT-runner

Tim

We were hit with 2 -3" of snow followed by a nice coating of ice last night and this morning. Weather supposed to warm up, but looks like I'll TM since the roads are a mess.

QOTD:  Any Christmas / Holiday traditions that you do every year?  For us it's Eggs Benedict on Christmas morning. DW's mom started it when DW was young.  When we were dating, I used to go over to her house early on Christmas morning and had breakfast. DW and I serve it every year and have some family come over.  DD#1 said she's making it this year while she stays in Portland for the holidays.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

LB2

Not much snow and ice here. It was 72 this morning, and it was quite muggy. I did get a nice run in around 10AM. We have a system coming through tonight. It is supposed to be 70 at midnight and mid 40's my noon.

QOTD: We normally go out and cut a Christmas tree at a farm every year, but this year, we saved every penny to go on our first annual Christmas vacation. We are excited about it. So, maybe that will be our new tradition.

LB2

Daydreamer1

Looks like it's done with the snowing/sleeting/graupeling/freezing raining and whatever else it is that we got out there today.  Roads really weren't too bad this morning on the way home from work.  It was the idiot drivers. One drives 20 MPH causing a back up, another wants to drive 60 and tries to pass on the right and someone else just has to pull out in front of the whole mess. Then you have the total moron who has to drive 70-80 on the four lanes because that's what they normally do, ice build up be damned. Really was surprised that I didn't see a wreck.

Don't have to go back in tonight. The medic on day shift felt that it would be too dangerous for me to try to make it back in tonight , so she said she would work a 24 hour shift today and I get to do 24 hours tomorrow.  I agreed. Not because of the weather, but because I love my 24 hour shifts and we can do them again.

I'll run inside on the TM and also do a stint on the trainer. Mileage to be determined but will put in at least a hour of time combined.

QOTD:  We used to always have a family gathering on Christmas with my parents and siblings. If not actually on Christmas then on  a day close to Christmas. Since that has gone by the wayside we really don't have any traditions that we do. That's the biggest problem with working in the medical field. It's kind of rare for both DW and I to have Christmas eve and/or Christmas day off together so traditions tend to go by the wayside.

NHLA

7 miles Art Lobe Trail. Raining and cold.  Too cold to run wed. and thurs.

qotd  Greensburg turkey. Simply the best. Can't wait to carve it up.

We have a contest for decorations in the hood. Some of the yards are really cool. Need to take some pics.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

We had maybe as much as a half inch of snow. sleet, and freezing rain. Slush on the roads making footing very treacherous. Easy 3.3 miles.

qotd: Ever since my DD sent me a seafood assortment (frozen of course) for Christmas, I've treated myself to a fancy seafood dinner for Christmas. I usually pick up a prepared dinner of scallops , crab, or lobster a day or two before, maybe some lobster bisque or clam chowder, then heat it up for Christmas.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Well- it was -24 this morning, our "high" topped out at -7   needless to say it was a treadmill run- 10.5 miles which is almost the maximum I can take

Oh and I almost got into a fight at the gym   I'm on the treadmill and BANG goes a weight, startled me even with headphones on, someone most have dropped a weight, BANG...BANG....BANG- some jackass is just banging the weights on the ground- these are typical gym "olympic" bars and metal weights- not real Olympic bars w/ rubber covered weights, these bar will break with abuse and this dickweed is abusing  them.  I give him the death stare from the treadmill, still BANG....BANG- I jump off the treadmill and start running towards this guy, pretty much ready to

deck him, I think it really startled him - I don't deck him and instead in an almost calm voice ask him if he could keep the banging down- he gives me the thumbs up and I finish my run.  I could just picture a telephone call from the police to DW- "Ma'am you're husband has been                    arrested for assault can you come pick him up?"  DW "There must be some kind of mistake, he was at the gym"  

qotd: we celebrate Christmas Eve with a large hors d'oeuvres spread, no supper- just sampling appetizers all evening, we also exchange gifts on Christmas Eve

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

really warming up here, only got down to -16 last night   looks like yet another treadmill session

this I believe is the longest stretch I've ever gone without running outside and not really happy about it

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

AT-runner

Tim

Man, warden, I can't really complain about our weather with what you are dealing with. I, too, did a TM run today. Cold and rainy and we still have a lot of ice. Not a good combination for trail or road.

Hope Queen did well on her well tapered race.

Anyone else race this weekend?

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Sandy-2

Similar weather as LB2, yesterday afternoon it was 81 deg and at 10pm it was still 75 deg, then this morning it was 34 deg. Nice little swing.  Didn't run yesterday as things were too hectic, today I'm going to do about 13 or so later this afternoon.

qotd: we always do bagel & lox on Christmas eve, a nod to the Jewish side of DW's family.

tbd.

Daydreamer1

Did a nice easy 2.8 miles on the TM yesterday and that left me at a even 1500 miles for the year. As soon as I hit the 2.8 mile mark i shut it down. Going to take a two week break from running and just focus on lifting and the bike. Will also do some rowing when I'm at the gym and put in some time on the elliptical.  Also did intervals on the trainer yesterday and the legs are feeling it today.

Nothing going today as I'm at work.

runtraildc

Yesterday was some strength work at the gym and a short treadmill jog. The ice was a lot worse than expected and it stuck around for most of the day. Today, however, it was 60* this morning for my 10k race. The entry fee was a home baked loaf of bread.  It included a very pretty section of the C&O canal, with a low lying blanket of fog and mist over the Potomac. I didn't bring my phone, and really regret not having pictures.  It was a fun, low-key race that I will definitely run again.

qotd: Does going to the airport and getting on a plane count?  That's usually what we do, but it brings us to MN for a steak christmas dinner and homebaked blueberry pie with my side of the family.

NHLA

7 miles  Wolf Mt. 1300' elev gain.  Got  my run in before the rain hit.  It was a nasty weekend. I didn't see one other runner.